Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , new to adv touring . just went on a week long tour and I noticed that my behind was getting sore after about 2 hours in the saddle . Just wondering if there is a company that modifies the seat for long distance comfort or any mods that I could do to make my seat more comfortable. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
228 Posts
There are companies like Sargent, Russel, etc., that can fix you up, but depending on where you are located you may have someone handy to fit the seat to your particular posterior. Here in the Willamette Valley of Oregon we have Don Weber at Mr. Ed's Moto who has been making custom seats for close to 50 years. He did my Wing, and now my ATAS. Where are you?

·
Registered
228 Posts
So Bud, are you just lurking here to hand a ration of snarky crap to those who ride something other than what you ride?

Seats are an individual issue. Some like myself have a big A$$, some a small bony one, but few have the typical 150 pound Asian body that Japanese bikes are designed for. For my part the reason that I bought my ATAS was that over a year ago I rented a 1200 GS for a week in WV, and fell in love with the way it handled. However, not having a dealership withing an hour and a half, and then having to put up with the "elitism" that those shops demonstrated, chose to go the Africa Twin route. after investing a few bucks in aftermarket it handles just as well, sits just as well if not better, and my investment is $10K+ less than what a new GS would have cost. But then, I am an old fart that likes to do all of my own wrenching and the group I ride with includes many brands and types. ****, I even maintain a customized HD Electra Glide for a non-profit board on which I serve. veteranscarecenters.org

Point being, if you are going to participate in this user group, try to be constructive and helpful. Just saying.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I took my seat to an upholstery shop, had it lowered and better foam installed. Night and day difference over the stock setup.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
The seat isn't perfect. The more I rode the less the seat hurt my butt. Conditioning I think they call it! Butt(!) there are plenty of aftermarket comfy seats for these bikes. I don't mean to sound like an ass(!) butt(!) ride more!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Seat Concepts Rally Seat. It makes the bike a bit taller but if you're 5'11"+ it also adds legroom and removes most of the uncomfortable slope in the stock seat. I'd recommend buying the foam and cover for the rider seat and just the cover for the passenger seat (as the rally passenger foam is less comfortable than stock for the passenger).

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
So Bud, are you just lurking here to hand a ration of snarky crap to those who ride something other than what you ride?

Seats are an individual issue. Some like myself have a big A$$, some a small bony one, but few have the typical 150 pound Asian body that Japanese bikes are designed for. For my part the reason that I bought my ATAS was that over a year ago I rented a 1200 GS for a week in WV, and fell in love with the way it handled. However, not having a dealership withing an hour and a half, and then having to put up with the "elitism" that those shops demonstrated, chose to go the Africa Twin route. after investing a few bucks in aftermarket it handles just as well, sits just as well if not better, and my investment is $10K+ less than what a new GS would have cost. But then, I am an old fart that likes to do all of my own wrenching and the group I ride with includes many brands and types. ****, I even maintain a customized HD Electra Glide for a non-profit board on which I serve. veteranscarecenters.org

Point being, if you are going to participate in this user group, try to be constructive and helpful. Just saying.
Very well put, I get tired of people with nothing to offer but insults rather than actually trying to help.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
761 Posts
Simply 3 choices:
1.) After market - expensive, but all are good, unfortunately varies per individual and most have a favorite manufacturer (from past use)
2.) Re-foam - have a local upholstery cut back and replace the top layer of foam with something ( trail and error there too) but cheaper.
3.) Seat cushions - Aftermarket motorcycle and ATV seat cushions, trail and error there too but, for the most part, cheaper than the above two.

But in the end, it’s all personal and unfortunately it will be up to your butt and trial and error.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I fixed my seat problem; traded the AT for a BMW R1200RT. Super comfy seat.

Later, Bud...
pmsl!
This guy is so funny... so he is saying he had the bike equivalent to Scarlett Johansson with nymphomania BUT she had a pimple on her bum.....so you traded her for Jocelyn Wildensten with vaginismus!?! (but no pimple on her bum!).

Keep up the trolling bmw boy, and thanks for the giggles!
>:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not just a LURKER and not much of a funny guy. I have been a serious rider for 58 years. I am at a point in my life that "dual sport" riding is becoming a thing of the past. My trip last month to Alaska (9000 miles not kilometers, and 25 days in the saddle without a break) was a bit hard on my ol' body and the AT was not very forgiving. I could have kept it and spent a bucket of money trying to sort out what would make it better, and maybe never get it right. So, I took the easy way out and went for known comfort - my fix to the seat problem.

Zippy - you should get your bladder checked if what I wrote made you piss yourself, and I was not aware I was trolling? Sorry if YOU were trying to be funny and it didn't take.

Later, Bud...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Seat concepts does in fact make a taller seat for the AT but in fact is a knock off of the Adventure Sport seat - is about an inch taller. I mistakenly ordered one because I didnt read the fine pring down the bottom. I am 6"5" and if I could lift my bum anoher inch would be very happy. In the meantime the search continues and may go with a gel deal

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am a newbie, so please be gentle in case my wording is inappropriate.

Simply 3 choices:
1.) After market - expensive, but all are good, unfortunately varies per individual and most have a favorite manufacturer (from past use)
2.) Re-foam - have a local upholstery cut back and replace the top layer of foam with something ( trail and error there too) but cheaper.
3.) Seat cushions - Aftermarket motorcycle and ATV seat cushions, trail and error there too but, for the most part, cheaper than the above two.
I fully agree with your post, but would want to suggest an additional option 4.) Bicycle underwear - these upholstered pants are even cheaper than option 3 and are IMHO a good choice to start with.

Anyway, I would start with option 3.) or 4.) first, and, if these won't work, try out the more expensive options.

Greeetz, Thomas

·
Registered
761 Posts
I am a newbie, so please be gentle in case my wording is inappropriate.

I fully agree with your post, but would want to suggest an additional option 4.) Bicycle underwear - these upholstered pants are even cheaper than option 3 and are IMHO a good choice to start with.

Anyway, I would start with option 3.) or 4.) first, and, if these won't work, try out the more expensive options.

Greeetz, Thomas
Yea some still use those even with the above mentioned, there is a motorcycle pair too skiveez (they make an “adventure bike” set). And a couple others for motorcyclists.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I like the ATAS seat other than it slopes me a bit forward. I've always loved Corbin seats - but their offering for the Africa Twin seems out of place and an inch too low for me. They will do custom orders and their pillion seems to be the most comfortable - so I'm tempted to do something like raise the driver seat up an inch without changeing the height of the backstop or the pillion. I wouldn't do leather on this bike though - and a vinyl Corbin seems odd. The Seat Concepts looks good - but would want the front seat from the Rally and the pillion from the comfort seat. I like the pillion fro the Bagster seat - but the driver portion is way too low for me. The Seargent seat seems too low too.

If I do anything them I'll start by shaving the foam in the back of the drivers seat. That won't do anything for my passenger though. Any passengers sat on a few different seats to give a comparison?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Seth Laam Custom seats. Just had one made for my V-Strom. My Africa Twin seat will go to him next week. For $400 you get back a true custom seat. I rode 1100 miles the past two days and the seat was like sitting in an easy chair.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I put a Seat Concepts seat on my G650 and it solved that problem for me. On the other hand, I rode a G650 5k miles on a trip, and it had a stock seat, and I had no discomfort...we got off every 60 miles or so for a piss and water break. On my AT, I have a KonTours seat that is made specifically for the rider...expensive, but does the trick, and the mesh cover makes it a little cooler also.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts