Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 2018 Adventure Sports model & was wondering if the seat is the same as the standard model. I find the seat really uncomfortable on long journeys, and was looking for either a medium seat, or a second hand seat to have re-upholstered to suit.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The way the seat fits is the same.. but its a different shape. Honda made a fairly big deal about altering the shape on the newer bike to make it flatter. My own opinion is that they created an instrument of torture. though there are some who think its fantastic. we are all different. You can pick up second hand seats very easily on eBay. here is a photo of an original so you can see the difference

Where in the fens are you based?

·
Registered
244 Posts
It depends a lot on the weight of the rider (pressure points vs foam density) and inseam, the longer the legs the more aggressive the knee bend and the more uncomfortable a slop becomes.

I put a Seat Concepts Rally seat on my standard AT (and just changed the cover on the passenger seat to match) and at 6'1" 195lbs, 34" inseam, its a HUGE improvement over stock.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hi all,
I have a 2018 Adventure Sports model & was wondering if the seat is the same as the standard model. I find the seat really uncomfortable on long journeys, and was looking for either a medium seat, or a second hand seat to have re-upholstered to suit.
I love the seat height and the shape of the seat on the ATAS, but I think I need to do the same as I did with my KTM 690 Enduro and give it the Seat Concepts treatment.

I have never found an OEM seat that I have found comfortable for long stretches and always modify them in some way, whether it is Seat Concepts, getting it reupholstered and a gel pad fitting at the local shop Bitchn Stichn or outright replacement with a different brand.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
788 Posts
I love my Corbin, had one on my old bike too.
Found it comfortable right out of the box and they get more comfortable the more you use them...
But, seats are all a personal thing. Either you will find it comfortable or you won’t

·
Registered
392 Posts
I love my Corbin, had one on my old bike too.
Found it comfortable right out of the box and they get more comfortable the more you use them...
But, seats are all a personal thing. Either you will find it comfortable or you won’t
Yep, there is a seat for every butt and a butt for every seat. Finding the match that works best for you though can take some trial and error.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The way the seat fits is the same.. but its a different shape. Honda made a fairly big deal about altering the shape on the newer bike to make it flatter. My own opinion is that they created an instrument of torture. though there are some who think its fantastic. we are all different. You can pick up second hand seats very easily on eBay. here is a photo of an original so you can see the difference

. View attachment 53299

Where in the fens are you based?
Kings Lynn. Just purchased a Honda ‘medium’ seat on EBay that was purchased for a standard AT but never used. If I find that uncomfortable I can always get it re-upholstered to suit.

·
Registered
115 Posts
ATASpilot im looking at getting the Touratech seat, I tried it out at the adventure bike shop and it felt very nice, but not been road tested, as im still saving for it £355.00!!! I had my OEM seat modified it is much better but still has that annoying slope to it so a flatter seat would be much better for me and the TT one might be good. I did buy a rally seat for the bike which again was better but still not just right!. Its a pain trying to fix this issue as you have to buy a seat to try out and if no good you've got a second hand seat for sale so you lose money with each experiment! would be nice to get one sale or return wouldn't it lol..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know & they're definitely not cheap!! Where did you get your seat modified? If the 'medium' oem seat works for me, I'll probably look at lowering the footrests to compensate. If not; I'll take it to an upholsterer and get a bespoke fitting.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Best investment of all for my AT is the Sargent seat I bought. Massive improvement in comfort and distance...I can live without everything else if I needed too, but the Sargent stays !

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I have found the standard seat on the 2018 standard bike (not sport) to be supremely comfortable located in the higher of the two positions. I have a 31inch inseam so expected I would have to put the seat in the low position, but the suspension sags by about 3 inches when on the bike so it's fine (just).
Honda realised they were losing sales on the Sport because it was too tall but they wanted to standardise the frame and suspension (I guess), so they made the standard seat on the 2020 bike thinner flatter and narrower. I rode it for 2 hours the other day and they have done a good job on getting the height right, but I found the seat hard, and suspect that all-day riding would be painful. Perhaps a standard seat off the 2018 bike would fit ? but my guess is that id' been on my tiptoes when stopped.
Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Best investment of all for my AT is the Sargent seat I bought. Massive improvement in comfort and distance...I can live without everything else if I needed too, but the Sargent stays !
I've had Segfeant Seats on a couple of GS's I've owned over the years and they are comfortable & well made for sure. It's just, they are so expensive!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've had Sargeant Seats on a couple of GS's I've owned over the years and they are comfortable & well made for sure. It's just, they are so expensive!
What I did was set up a search first on ebay and then I kept my eyes open on here and FB. I missed one on FB - it sold in seconds and then a day or so later one appeared on here. 2nd hand - and from Finland. some quick sums and it turned out buying it from Finland and including delivery would save me just over £100 on a new one. It arrived 3 days later.

There is only one slight problem with the Sargeant. Because it was designed specifically for the Standard bike.. as with all seats off standard bikes it doesnt fit perfectly in the 'Low' position on the Adventure sport. There is a gap between the tank and the leading edge. this disappears when you sit on the bike and doesn't appear in the "High" position at all. Its a tad lower than the standard seat too... which is as much a side effect of its design as anything else. its not 'flat' - its 'dished'.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just ordered OEM Honda Low seat for ATAS.
I will put it in upper position so it wil be 4 cm lower than original seat in lower position
and then should be no "space" between seat and bike itself and also back seat should be inline with drivers seat

1 - 18 of 18 Posts