Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Africa Twin Termignoni?

49K views 51 replies 25 participants last post by  Moose 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone know what the story is? First time I've seen the Termi pipe, first time I've seen any pipe other then OEM...

EDIT: Found this too (from EICMA I think)

See less See more
1 2
#2 ·
Apparently, for the Facebookers among you, Termignoni have a new home photo or whatever it's called - I hope this link works but if not search "Termignoni Facebook" and you'll get it.

https://www.facebook.com/6555437536....393207.65554375368/10153466514420369/?type=3

The FB page also has a sound recording of the black one on a fly-by - sounds nice if that sort of thing rocks your boat.

I've said it before, and here goes again, that black does look really nice - although I imagine it might be even trickier than normal gloss black to keep clean. You see a lot of very shoddy looking matt black cars around because you can't polish them I guess - or can you?

#8 · (Edited)
From what I can see, just the silencer section does away with the cat as it looks like a two-piece system with the headers being separate. This does not mean you need a re-map if you are simply going to replace the silencer section. The headers change the air flow more drastically not so much the cat and a combination of the two in a full system generally requires re-mapping.

My previous Ducati Monster had a full Arrow system but it wasn't necessary to do a re-map. This was because the lambda(oxygen) sensor could be fitted to the after market exhaust and accounted for any changes in the air / fuel ratio. Unfortunately not all bikes have this sensor.

So it really depends on the type of exhaust used and just how different it is from the manufacturers. You will quickly find out though whether it needs further tuning through excessive popping sounds etc.

#10 · (Edited)
Just saw this comment on Facebook from someone who has just placed an order for this system.

It's £678 for the end can Brendan Johnson but there is 10% off until the end of January. No price on down pipes yet but they will be available soon.
Seems very steep ...but if I look at the design 3/4 of the exhaust is basically the "end can" while the headers are relatively short in comparison. This also verifies what I said about it being a two-piece system.

Still not prepared to spend that much on an end can though! ...not with our current currency value anyway. I suspect Leo Vince will come up with something in a more favourable price range.

#14 ·
Just saw this comment on Facebook from someone who has just placed an order for this system.

Seems very steep ...but if I look at the design 3/4 of the exhaust is basically the "end can" while the headers are relatively short in comparison. This also verifies what I said about it being a two-piece system.

Still not prepared to spend that much on an end can though! ...not with our current currency value anyway. I suspect Leo Vince will come up with something in a more favourable price range.

Rugged Roads are doing them for a lot less than that.

#15 · (Edited)
What I generally do when it comes to Italian exhausts or certain motorcycle parts is I purchase/import them directly from a dealer situated in the manufacturers country. I have always found the best deals doing this.

I'm a bit disappointed that Honda put the catalytic in the headers, this is very unusual. In most circumstances it would either be a separate component i.e. mid pipe which is the ideal situation or it is packed in the silencer. This means we will have to purchase the headers in addition to the silencer in order to get rid of that heavy chunk of metal that is the cat.

In the past I've even just ordered the piece that gets rid of the cat and kept the OEM silencer, might be an option here if the diameter is the same. Still saves a few kg's and improves the airflow. I did this on my R1 where the mid pipe was the cat and it had a separate pieces for the silencer and the headers.

Lastly, the OEM exhaust does have an oxygen sensor from looking at a manual diagram.

#21 ·
http://www.termignoni.it/products_detail.php?id=1576&&scarichi=termignoni#dett

Description
In the historical Dakar period Termignoni won in the desert with Cagiva, transferring the gained experience also on the exhausts made for the old Honda Africa Twin 750. After over 20 years the Rally Raid passion is still going and from the partnership with the Team HRC comes the creation of the exhaust system for the new Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin. Revealed in Honda booth during the EICMA 2015 fair, it is now available as slip on homologated silencer with removable db killer. Characterized by a dedicated “Relevance” design it has the main structure in stainless steel and the titanium sleeve. This combination offers an important weight reduction (2,47 Kilos instead of 4,8 kilos of the OEM one) and a steady increase of power (+ 1.53 hp at 5.920 rpm) and torque (+ 2,67 Nm at 2.850 rpm) in most of the engine working range.

#23 ·
It does look cool (especially in black), but I don't think the stock silencer looks bad either. No-one is going to notice 1.5 additional horsepower and a couple of nm's more torque. Plus 5 and a half pounds weight saving is nothing on a 500lbs+ bike. I'd rather spend a couple of weeks in the gym to achieve the same weight saving and have my trousers fit better! :laugh:

So in my view, unless you're going to go the whole nine yards and replace the headers too, plus remap the ECU, I don't really think it's worth it.

#40 ·
Sounds Wonderful

It does look cool (especially in black), but I don't think the stock silencer looks bad either. No-one is going to notice 1.5 additional horsepower and a couple of nm's more torque. Plus 5 and a half pounds weight saving is nothing on a 500lbs+ bike. I'd rather spend a couple of weeks in the gym to achieve the same weight saving and have my trousers fit better! :laugh:

So in my view, unless you're going to go the whole nine yards and replace the headers too, plus remap the ECU, I don't really think it's worth it.
The Termignoni sounds fabulous but that's a big price to pay for 1.5 hp.
I guess the info at the bottom of this video is plan BS considering Termignoni's
own dyno test says only 1.5 hp but it does make a great sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfLntMfRxCA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.