Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,996 Posts
Gray Corbin “anaconda” seat for a gray and white “Africa” adventure sport DCT. My sixth Corbin. There’s no better.
Love my Corbin too..

Hey BaB: Is the material leather, vinyl, waterproof "fabric"?
Yes,yes, and yes. They are all custom made from material’s you pick out (including stitch colors), so it can be any of the above. BTW if you do order one, opt out of the quilted pattern. I’ve found that rain likes to puddle in the valleys.

Attachments

·
Registered
726 Posts
Hated the Corbin on my BMW. Fibreglass seat pan weighed 10x the OEM plastic.

No way I could live with a bucket seat on the AT. Spend too much time standing on pegs for Quad trails / single track / FSR’s to have that bucket in my way.

Stock seat is fine except the red is now pink. All I want is a black seat.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Some people love Corbin seats but they're not for everybody. I had one on my Honda ST and hated it. As I live very close to the Corbin factory I took my bike there to have the seat custom fitted to me. Unfortunately the seat just did not work for me. I ended up with a Russell Day-Long seat which is the most comfortable seat made for just about anybody. On my KLR650's and Honda AT I have found the Sargent seats to be really good with the way they shape the foam to keep from putting pressure on the tail bone - the seats work pretty well for most people.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,996 Posts
Roger that.

Any issue of water seeping through the seams, whether quilted stitching or normal stitching?
Not that I’ve noticed, but pretty much anytime I had to brush the water off the seat I was also riding in the rain so a wet butt went with the territory (if I didn’t put on full rain gear). I will say, if any water would or does seep in, it must not be much because by the next day the seat is dry when setting on it..

·
Super Moderator
6,405 Posts
Some people love Corbin seats but they're not for everybody. I had one on my Honda ST and hated it. As I live very close to the Corbin factory I took my bike there to have the seat custom fitted to me. Unfortunately the seat just did not work for me. I ended up with a Russell Day-Long seat which is the most comfortable seat made for just about anybody. On my KLR650's and Honda AT I have found the Sargent seats to be really good with the way they shape the foam to keep from putting pressure on the tail bone - the seats work pretty well for most people.
Quite informative. Thanks bdalameda.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've loved every Corbin seat I've ever had - I just didn't want a gunfighter and lady style for my ATAT - something more like the enduro seat I had on my DR650 would have been great. I also wanted to stick with a two piece seat so when doing back to back long days I could swap it to change my posture a bit. Corbin does have several colors of vinyl (mine were all leather). I think which seat fits you best is not just by the shape of the seat pan - but where on the seat you sit. I think Corbins are more for people who sit back a bit, and my first impression is that Sargents sit a little further forward (not as far forward as the stock ATAS seat though). It might help to sit on any bike that has the Corbin gunfighter style, or a Sargent that is styled like the AT version. I agree about the diamond quilted stitching on the Corbin - it holds water - but they have a few stitching styles to choose from. I wouldn't do without any quilting because then you might get ripples in the seat. I never got any water intrusion on mine - but I use neatsfoot oil on all of my leather - it softens, protects, and waterproofs it. I just got my Sargent seat. It's vinyl, and I just went with the default. I don't know about the stitch at the back - as far as waterproof or not. They don't do any quilting - and the seat has a ripple in it (I just put it on, and haven't ridden it yet).

Do the Sargents normally have a bit of a ripple when new? Does it go away?

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've loved every Corbin seat I've ever had - I just didn't want a gunfighter and lady style for my ATAT - something more like the enduro seat I had on my DR650 would have been great. I also wanted to stick with a two piece seat so when doing back to back long days I could swap it to change my posture a bit. Corbin does have several colors of vinyl (mine were all leather). I think which seat fits you best is not just by the shape of the seat pan - but where on the seat you sit. I think Corbins are more for people who sit back a bit, and my first impression is that Sargents sit a little further forward (not as far forward as the stock ATAS seat though). It might help to sit on any bike that has the Corbin gunfighter style, or a Sargent that is styled like the AT version. I agree about the diamond quilted stitching on the Corbin - it holds water - but they have a few stitching styles to choose from. I wouldn't do without any quilting because then you might get ripples in the seat. I never got any water intrusion on mine - but I use neatsfoot oil on all of my leather - it softens, protects, and waterproofs it. I just got my Sargent seat. It's vinyl, and I just went with the default. I don't know about the stitch at the back - as far as waterproof or not. They don't do any quilting - and the seat has a ripple in it (I just put it on, and haven't ridden it yet).

Do the Sargents normally have a bit of a ripple when new? Does it go away?
My Sargent seat does not have any ripple in the cover at all. Is there anything under the seat causing the seat base to not lie flat?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Nothing making it sit weird. It does it with the stock rear and the Sargent rear, in the upper or lower setting. I don't think it's as wide against the tank as it is supposed to be either - the protective tape on the tank is visible. The other pictures I've seen don't show a gap like this one. So far I'm not impressed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sargent

My Sargent Low seat is brilliant. It's my third Sargent and each has been great for me. Mine does not have the loose covering shown above. You may want to check back with Sargent and see if they have any thoughts.

·
Registered
170 Posts
No responses from emails or phone calls today. I'll pull it off the bike so I can honestly say I haven't sat on it. Hopefully they'll contact me Monday.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Sargent also has no ripple. I wonder if the stock Honda rear seat is crowding the Sargent. Have you tried to mount it without the rear to see if that relieves the ripple? If that's the issue you could make more space, just loosen the rear seat cover at the leading edge and carve away some material, foam and/or seat pan. I've modified/customized several seats. Nothing magic about it. Pneumatic stapler helps get the cover back on however, but it can be done just fine by hand.

-Reverend Bill

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the Honda Low seat. It is hard as a wedding dick. I added a Air Seat Innovations seat pad. I get good comfort and ventilation with the pad but it raised me up about an inch. I really like the adjustability of the air seat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts