Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone made comparisons regarding exhaust performance and sound on different makes,
Akrapovic, Arrow,Termigoni, Remus etc?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bought both the Remus and Akrapovic and tried them both with and without inserts. The Akrapovic without inserts sounded the best for me. Nice deep sound but not loud where as Remus without insert was too loud for me. Both good pipe. Couldn't feel much power difference with slip ons.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Personally I quite like the sound of the standard one. I had a Scorpion taper on my previous bike but has yet, I haven't heard anything that forces me to spend more cash. A mate has order a Zarb for his so I'll wait to see what his sounds like first. From what I have heard, they seem fine in the lower revs but a bit clipped in the upper. Then again, youtube isn't that great for audio tests.

·
Registered
56 Posts
actually, youtube IS GOOD for audio tests...

...it's the people making the videos who are poor at capturing audio.

iPhones are 'okay' to record audio and video but a dedicated video camera with better mics onboard would provide a much better example.

Much 'truer' to real-life.

One of the greatest parts of being a gearhead, is tuning various machine's exhausts to our liking.

It's endless fun cranking on a motor when it sounds great, music to our ears, obviously.

One of the very worst representations of a bike's exhaust sound, is a fellah installing an exhaust system, then swingin a leg over, using his GoPro, and then promptly riding into the wind at 110km/h.

Bloody unbearable.

A better idea would be to mount it backwards in hopes of picking up some exhaust tone in the 'dead zone' (low pressure) behind the rider's helmet or body. Less turbulence, less wind-buffeting etc., more accurate representation of sound.

So...here is my beef, besides all of the horrible recordings on youtube:

First...why don't the manufacturers...who SPECIALIZE in these products not offer good sample audio clips?

Sure, one or two manufacturers do...but mostly...even those recordings suck!

Second is, how are people adjusting their bikes to run these free-flow exhausts?

I am a two-stroke offroad guy who has always jetted his own bikes, this thing is EFI, does it not auto-adjust it's mixture in relation to the O2 sensor?? Just try to get a solid answer on this one! It's impossible.
I don't think many owners seem to even care. It seems as though if you mounted any kind of exhaust system...the Honda FI system would generally adjust to achieve the correct mixture, no matter what the case.

I cannot get an answer for this one, no matter where I've posted.

FarangMoto: where did your friend order the Zard from? How much?

The Zard is my favourite looking and sounding pipe that I've seen so far.

One thing that I find so offensive is the branding on the Arrow's...just looks so 80's, they look horrible.

I love the look of the classic round-outlet pipes, either single or dual outlet, but am not a fan of these new hexagon style things. What's with using a carbon fiber end cap, when it's the only piece of carbon fiber visible on the whole bike!! looks like crap.

Anyhow, more data on running unrestricted exhausts is poorly needed and the board moderators here need to organize the exhaust section of technical threads a little better in my opinion.

It would be nice to see some of these topics eventually getting a little more organized as far as pinning the 'top 5' or 'top 10' products out there with regards to heated grips, crash bars, exhaust etc.

It's useless when the thread gets up to 100 posts...doesn't really accomplish anything but a bunch of redundant information.

That's the exhaust rant.

If anyone would like help capturing good exhaust video clips, feel free to drop me a personal message, I'd be happy to help describe the process and can also assist in post production and editing of sound or video clips.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Agree with Gman. The EFI doesn't automatically adjust enough for a higher flow exhaust and CARE should be taken if you do install one to ensure the air/fuel ratio is rich enough to prevent engine damage. The EFI is designed to compensate for differences in air temp, humidity, altitude, etc. an aftermarket exhaust makes more difference than any of these factors so your bike needs to be tuned to suit or you risk engine damage.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Gman, My friend is a dealer in Thailand and is waiting for a batch to arrive from Italy.

Yes, you're right about the audio being user error in YouTube which is what I meant. As a former high-end audio dealer we used to play around with microphone positioning among other things. I have had good results with my DJI Osmo+ and rode mic mounted as you describe. Just never got round to putting stuff like than on YouTube.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey I retract my statement about the Arrow's branding!

I just saw a recent pic of one of their pipes and it has really tasteful, revised badging.

Great job Arrow!

You are now a front runner along with the other contenders.

·
Registered
56 Posts
sounds a little lean

Sounds a little lean on the roll off.

That's what I am afraid of.

Not a bad job on the video, better than 95% out there.

I'm still not a fan of the carbon cone style ends on the pipes though.

Still waiting for a classic outlet from Remus.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have had REMUS on my previous bikes and always liked the sound. When I got the AT, REMUS was not ready and I picked up a Yoshimura RS-4. After 4 months, there are pro's and con's to my purchase!!

The con:
I find, even with the baffle installed, it is too loud in certain situations. When you are sitting on a motorway at about 130km/h for a longer time, the sound is just too much. Even when wearing moulded ear plugs. I am wearing a E1 and that is pretty good at reducing sound as well.

The pro:
The canister is quite long. I have H&B pannier racks and I hang soft luggage over them. To date there is no damage to the bag, because the exhaust sticks out past the bag.

My questions are, when I change the RS-4 for the REMUS, will I still have the 'con' and has anyone found an issue with the heat from the REMUS exhaust damaging their soft luggage?

Thanks for your experience.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I tried both the Remus and akrapovic and if you want quiet at 130 go for akra. I found Remus with insert cut was still to noisy and I have ended up with akra with no inserts. Nice deep sound but not noisy at all.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks Ian,

You swayed me. I will be able to move the RS-4.

Cheers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Akrapovic slip-on with Arrow collector

Anybody has experience with Akrapovic slip-on combined with non Akra header/collector?
I have an option to get an Arrow collector.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts