Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a mate who works for a chinese company over here in the U.K.
They make parts for many bikes and they like to test the items on the bikes there designed for. Product development I guess.
They own a 2016 AT View attachment 56225 View attachment 56226 View attachment 56225 View attachment 56225 View attachment 56226 View attachment 56225 fitted with a full cat-delete exhaust system. Apparently It goes really well.
As I own an Atas they asked if they could borrow my bike to see if the 16/17 header fitted my 18 Adventure sport.
It nearly does but not quite.
He told it me bolts up ok but there is no clearance through the Honda bash plate and also it's out of line at the rear under the rear pegs.
I have a Rapid bike Evo fitted and was interested to see if it made a difference to the power.
My mate dyno'd it for me and results were a little disappointing. I am convinced the Evo improved the way the bike rides. It pulls better and doesn't seem to bog down as it did when I was trying to pull a higher gear without the speed.
He said the bike was running a little rich throughout the mid range.
I was hoping to get back a sorted bike with a full system but unfortunately the header doesn't fit. I did get a print out and a new tailpipe which I do get to keep.
I have noticed a few manufacturers list the header as fitting 16-19 bikes. It seems that is not the case.
The Lextek tailpipe is a quality item with a lifetime warranty. Definitely worth a look.
IMG_20200719_141539759_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200719_151208731.jpg

·
Registered
380 Posts
I
I have a Rapid bike Evo fitted and was interested to see if it made a difference to the power.
My mate dyno'd it for me and results were a little disappointing. I am convinced the Evo improved the way the bike rides. It pulls better and doesn't seem to bog down as it did when I was trying to pull a higher gear without the speed.
He said the bike was running a little rich throughout the mid range.
The numbers do seem a little low, but its hard to compare across bikes with different fuel at different temps on different dynos etc I would expect to see in the 89-90 and 69-70 range as a typical output on low octane at about 20 deg C if you are running something like a Rapid Bike with a stock muffler and no CAT. Peak power is typically delivered at about 12.8 - 13 AFR for most of your run it seams very rich up to about 6,000 RPM its running in the 11-12AFR there)
The stock bike targets 14.7 AFR in closed loop and around 14.2 in a lot of the rest of the table. Is there an easy way to disable the Rapid bike and just let the stock ECU do its thing and see if there is a difference?
On a Dyno Jet if you lift the earth wire it will typically disable the unit and you are back to stock ECU running. Would be worth sending off an email to Rapid bike to see what they say about the readings.

·
Registered
380 Posts
It is like a one-stop-shop.
I think the key bit of info is that the stock muffler does a good job (you can save weight on some) there is not much of a performance boost going after market slip on, any power gain comes from changing out the headers on the early model year bikes.

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
I think the key bit of info is that the stock muffler does a good job (you can save weight on some) there is not much of a performance boost going after market slip on, any power gain comes from changing out the headers on the early model year bikes.
Yes, agreed. A few hp isn't worth the expense, but looks and sound note may appeal to the shopper.

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
Yes, agreed. A few hp isn't worth the expense, but looks and sound note may appeal to the shopper.
Yea, my new Remus turned her voice from a soft choir girl, into a deep sultry blues lady.

Reactions: DoubleThumper

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
Uh, oh, ... hook and bait. I can see it on the garage shelf: "Which one shall I use today?"
OK .. DT are you getting kick backs form Remus now?? Or maybe a sell so many cans and you get one free.
Actually I personally like the looks of my CF one over the new one.

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
OK .. DT are you getting kick backs form Remus now?? Or maybe a sell so many cans and you get one free.
Actually I personally like the looks of my CF one over the new one.
Lol ... wouldn't that be wishful thinking. :)

The new model looks lean, and somewhat spacey looking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts