Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think that the aftermarket Pannier suppliers will eventually engineer a Pannier mounting system that uses the stock Honda mounts? I really don't want to buy the stock plastic cases. Want a top opening aluminum case.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'd be very interested in this. I've thought of trying to fab something out of a pelican case or surplus ammo can, but if a decent priced item became available i'd strongly consider it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi, I read your post with interest. When you say a pannier using the stock mounts, do you mean a pannier that does not need a frame mounted first? Interesting thought.

John

·
Registered
479 Posts
Be carreful with the stock Honda mounts. It's plastic and it brokes.
The rear pillion foot pedal metal assembly takes a good bit of the load of the OEM panniers. They also use three top mounts in the plastic assembly, the two you can see on top and one hidden underneath between those. When you lock on the OEM panniers a strong plastic lever swings up and locks the top in. For all the criticism of these panniers I think they are great, not too heavy, easy to get on and off. Not suitable for all conditions maybe but good enough for many.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The rear pillion foot pedal metal assembly takes a good bit of the load of the OEM panniers. They also use three top mounts in the plastic assembly, the two you can see on top and one hidden underneath between those. When you lock on the OEM panniers a strong plastic lever swings up and locks the top in. For all the criticism of these panniers I think they are great, not too heavy, easy to get on and off. Not suitable for all conditions maybe but good enough for many.
I completely agree with you.
Although I've had quite a big off ruining the left pannier there was no damage at all to the mounting point on the bike.
I take them of frequently and love that it can be done so quickly.

OT: If might be a bit to expensive for a third party to develop a complete mounting system for just 1 model of bike?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Doesnt look like plastic, the mount points are part of the rear carrier assembly, which feels like a big chunk of metal to me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes, pannier using the stock mounts.
I have the Hepco & Becker pannier frames and have had 2 stupid fall overs. One to the left and one to the right. I did not have panniers or bags on at the time and the frame has a few scratch marks on either side. I wonder what the damage would have been without the bars?

·
Registered
34 Posts
OEM cases

Yes, a the side mount points are not what breaks. The reported failure/s are because of top boxes and their associated arm/lever affect when going over very rough surfaces. I've heard criticism of the OEM boxes being hard to close; also of them leaking. What has your experience with them been? I know there are good aftermarket choices but I detest scaffolding.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've heard criticism of the OEM boxes being hard to close; also of them leaking. What has your experience with them been? I know there are good aftermarket choices but I detest scaffolding.
It hasn't been wet here and I haven't washed the AT recently (it's due) so I can't speak to the leaking. As for hard to close, they definitely can be. There are two issues I have seen:

1. The box walls are not especially stiff, which means that heavy or bulky loads can distort the lower hinge enough that the strike for the latch does not align when you go to close it. It helps to support the front cover from below so that "natural" position of the strike can smoothly mate with the latch. If the latch engages the closing the buckles is never a problem. I have noticed that the low-friction tape at the latches is wearing in one case.

2. The key turns so smoothly that if you bump the latch while the box is open, the key can turn a small amount, which will then cause the strike to hit the latch when you go to close it. This is easy to address by making sure the key is rotated fully to the open position.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The factory panniers need to be viewed in context for what they are. The plastic is thin(ish) and they do flex a little which sometimes makes locking them fiddly. Mine haven't leaked in the rain but I imagine that if you overloaded them straining the seal they might do. The side opening doesn't bother me, I can cope with it (first world problem). Less than 10kg weight for the pair too.

Not super rugged, not as good looking as a full aluminium set, not as expensive either. They do a job easily and cleanly and clip on/off in seconds. I wouldn't take them off road though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The factory panniers need to be viewed in context for what they are. The plastic is thin(ish) and they do flex a little which sometimes makes locking them fiddly. Mine haven't leaked in the rain but I imagine that if you overloaded them straining the seal they might do. The side opening doesn't bother me, I can cope with it (first world problem). Less than 10kg weight for the pair too.

Not super rugged, not as good looking as a full aluminium set, not as expensive either. They do a job easily and cleanly and clip on/off in seconds. I wouldn't take them off road though.
Agree with everything you said. However for “LIGHT” Off-Roading, say to get to your camp site for a few days where you plan to remove them, they are fine. But after seeing the video @erey posted about the TopBox Failure, I got to say that has me concerned now. I’ll probably leave it off from now on for when I plan on “Medium” O-R’ing. Now I did do a bit of “Heavy” O-R’ing with the OEM Pannier’s and TopCase on and I was not at all confident of the solidity of anyone of them, so I toned it down and did my best to avoid most Ruts, Woops, Rocks and TreeStumps. My plan, so far it to get the AltRider rear Rack System and fit the MoskoMoto 80L softbags when I decide to do Any serious % of O-R’ing next season. Still in my research phase on that, but I have 4 months before the start of the new riding season here in Canada (QC) before I commit to anything.

OT: The OEM stock panier’s for daily commute has served me well. I love the ease of storage and I left them sit in days of rain without anything getting inside them. Even hosed them down when washing the bike and nothing got in. So for Pavement travel and LIGHT O-R’ing I’ve been very happy with my Honda cases...that said, if you like HARD cases and don’t plan on getting SoftLuggage and you do plan lots of Off-Road travels...DEFINITELY get better “HARD” Panniers - The OEM are very light and fragile and really I find HONDA could have done a way better job on them IMHO.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The OEM bags are great for anything you're going to do on pavement. Consider them sport-touring / light adventure bags. If you drop the bike hard they're going to break, just like if you dropped any road bike with plastic bags. If you're riding the bike in an environment or manner in which dropping the bike is inevitable, then get aluminum panniers or soft bags. If you want a (reasonably) affordable, spacious, well integrated and easy to remove hard bag, that leaves your bike free from scaffolding when removed, then they're really your only option.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts