Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ridden motos my whole life. Starting ing 1978 when I was 4. Mr50 Honda. Didn't own a car till I was 22. I've modified and tinkered with everything. 1 thing I know it to modify factory airbox snorkel. It always helps. So anyone remove these on 2919 and earlier? I'm going to do it. And see. It's always, always worked well on every bike Ive ever had. Factory snorkel dead ends into the fairing! Only for sound issues!

·
Super Moderator
4,544 Posts
The air intake routing on the Africa Twin has been specifically engineered for a reason, or multiple beneficial reasons. I doubt it was an afterthought.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep. But on my Sv1000 xl600 xr650 it was all constricted for epa and keeping it quiet. Every single bike has had a marked improvement in performance with airbox snokle mod. Guess I'm the first. The snorkels dead end into the fairing with no flow. You want to say that the factory didn't design that to run the bike lean for epa?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I don't think the tapered design has had much effect on performance.
One could test this by removing the contraption and go for a test ride.
I've heard of a few owners who cut off more than the OP and say there was no difference.

I think most of the benefit is in noise reduction.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honda tries to get as much hp while staying within European emissions. That's their engineering. Yet they've know since the beginning that their wind flow over their own fairings are flawed as fk. We've all had to buy windscreens and sheilds to be able to ride our bikes. Just saying Mr. Honda mostly cares about making money. I like to go fast and have fun on this beast!For miles on end!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How? I'm just shortening the snorkel to where it can actually get air? It's still inside fairing opening is high on the inside.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've never had a negative result from any bike I've modified the intake tract. From my 92 dr350s on up. Factory engineering is awesome! But... They have reasons here or there. They finally just recalled gas tanks on my bike....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tapering effect has been time proven. Large inlet tapering to smaller intake creates higher velocity inlet flow. Small inlet into larger opening slows flow. The outlet/exhaust is the opposite.... Stock header no CAT free flow muffler... Better air pump the twin is.....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm stupid. I'll let you know how it goes. If I'm in the market for stock inlet tubes, it didn't work out.. :)

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
69 Posts
Gorilla, you are most likely 100% correct in stating that there will be some added benefits of de-snorkeling the bike. Like you said it is a very common practice on lots of motorcycles.

However, I am left to wonder if this will require a reprogramming of the fuel mapping or will the computer auto adjust for the Mod? I honestly don't know. Also 90 something horsepower is probably plenty for most, I cant see too many people looking for more power. If it was a KLR putting out 32hp I would, and did everything to squeeze some more power out of that bike.

Anyways, thanks for going a head with the mod and please keep us posted if it has any effects on performance or sound.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've never had a negative result from any bike I've modified the intake tract. From my 92 dr350s on up. Factory engineering is awesome! But... They have reasons here or there. They finally just recalled gas tanks on my bike....
Nice, 1992 DR350S was my first street bike.

A lot of it is noise reduction to pass ever stricter standards. I thought it was goofy the tubes necked down and didn't lead anywhere when changing to Guglatech air filters.

I don't mind intake honk sound and done airbox mods on just about every bike I've owned - filters and lid modifications/removal, larger intake tubes and airboxes, airbox removal to velocity stacks and pod filters for street, track and racing.

Cutting / removing the tubes won't have much if any affect on fueling on the AT.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm a tinkerer! I'll be the guinea pig! :) Said before every bike I've had first thing I've done is modify or remove snorkel. Every single forum will say do this. To just about any bike. I was hoping someone might have done it already.Our bikes are fuel injected with CAT and oxygen sensor. The sensor will read if it's running lean and adjust. My mods so far before this: twin air filters, booster plug, CAt removed and micron muffler. The beast has way more power than stock and dropped a few pounds. My 1983 xlr600, that I still own has snorkel removed high flow uni. Runs like a champ. Open exhaust,good jetting...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts