Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I'm cutting the intake tube just behind the factory openings on the inside of fairing. Both sides. Stock, snorkles dead end into the front of the fairing and have no direct flow. From my experience all bikes I've ever owned, cars too have benefited from more air flow and better fueling. Which is what I'm doing. I'll let us know how it works out. This started with me wiring fog lights... Had to remove bodywork... ;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Gs750 cafe was my first street bike when I was 16. 92 dr350was my second at 17,and only transportation till I was 20. Rode that bike everywhere year round! Mud snow ice! There was not a logging road in 3 counties that I hadn't been on!

·
Super Moderator
4,600 Posts
... From my experience all bikes I've ever owned, cars too have benefited from more air flow and better fueling. Which is what I'm doing. I'll let us know how it works out. This started with me wiring fog lights... Had to remove bodywork... ;)
Of course they did better when vehicle did not respect the environment air. Sadly, the care we add to protect our air comes at a power cost and has been getting stricker with each decade.

I do like fresh air, and I like to ride.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I built racing engines for year including Flat Trackers and RoadRacers, I even held a Bonneville Speed record for a very short time. I've been tuning on bikes for 45+ years so I do know something about what I am talking about. Lopping off the air intake is a lot different than what it used to be on older carbureted bikes. The newer engines intakes are tuned in a similar fashion as the exhausts to make the intake charge to flow well as the intake charges will resonate inside the airbox. Changing the tuning will effect the power band and may increase power in one part of the power band and could also reduce power at another rpm. Without tuning the fuel injection to make it work right you probably will only reduce performance or make the powerband narrower. A lot of people equate noise with performance which is not always true. I have ridden some uncorked bikes that the owners thought were really faster but though sounding louder did not perform as well as a stock bike. This happened a lot with carbureted bikes when people started removing the stock air boxes and installing small K&N or sock filter directly onto the carbs. Most of the time this absolutely ruined the power bands and after increasing the main jets to compensate just made more noise but lacked greatly in low and midrange as before. The dyno proved this out many times as the intakes were tuned to keep the intake velocity up. Without the benefit of a dyno and FI tuner to make modifications work, you are wasting your time by hacking off the air cleaner tubes. Then again if your bike makes more noise you may feel like you are going faster. In addition just changing the intake will have little effect if the exhaust is not changed.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Tesla and ebike in your near future? Our bikes, every bike made in the US is restricted solely to get them to pass emissions. Which means lean. Which means less power and more fuel to do the same work as if it were properly fuel would actually take less fuel, less emissions... We all have to deal with ethanol. Corn based product put into fuel to make it "more environmentally friendly" it does Not! It takes more fuel to do the same amount of work as before. So no it's not good for the environment. But all the politicians that voted for ethanol also invested in agro stocks... Corn prices were high as heck... So let's just say my bike still get 50-53mpg it's way better than a Prius.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I as well have been tuning and modifying everything I have. I'm not driving around in a Hondacar with a fartcan exhaust. I absolutely know sound does not make it go faster! I'm not afraid of more intake sound to get more power. Funnel in funnel out. Old school tech. Wider opening on intake narrow down to inlet increases velocity. Open up the exhaust starting stock and going bigger increases flow. and...Boom! Guess I have no idea what I'm talking about... Stock intake pipes and muffler are the exact opposite. Except For keeping it quiet.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Have you ever had a SV1000 or an xr650l? They both needed love to bring them closer to their potential. This forum, guess I'm the first to try this mod. Forums for those 2 bikes, it's the first thing you should do.. my Xr pulls unprovoked wheelies in 3rd gear and will clip 100+mph. It was my adventure bike until the TWIN. I'm pushing 50 I am not a beginner. I'll end myself somewhere somehow hopefully with a grin

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I do not understand how your race engine building has anything to do with this thread. You are saying those engines you built were completely stock? And did not use anything to make them work better?

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
73 Posts
I think we can all agree that some people want to Mod their bikes and some want to leave it bone stock. Some have good reasons for it and other have just reasons. At the end of the day everyone should do what ever they like to their own motorcycle, If it makes more power let us know, if it makes more noise let us know, if it doesn't do either of these things and implodes upon itself and turns into a cube of Unobtainium let us know.;)

I have farted around with bikes trying to squeeze more power from them in the past. My past garage time was one of my main reasons for getting the AT. It is not a high compression engine and is not begging to be tampered with. I chose it for its hopefully long service life and its relatively mild temperament, if you compare it to say a KTM. I will assume that most people who bought this bike also, at some time, compared it to various other KTM models and decided the "Ready to Race" bike wasn't for them.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud you for your efforts to do something new to this bike and please do keep us posted on your perceived or felt or documented results and if you get it dyno'd please share as well. It would be interesting to get real numbers from an owner. Quite often the numbers you get from, lets say an exhaust manufacturer, are not always the most accurate.

Aslo I would love to get a Zero FX for bombing around the cottage, and for sneaking up on deer... insert Rambo Gif Here!!! hahahaha

·
Registered
266 Posts
What did you run at the salt flats?
In 1975 I was part of the Can Am Motorcycle team where we set production records in the 125, 175 and 250 class production classes. I also ran a Suzuki X6 250 twin in the MPSAG250 class and was a rider and tuner for Terry Brigham III on a CR093 Honda Road racer and TZ750 Yamaha 4cyl road racer, partially faired, No records on that though I went 206 mph on two runs.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I do not understand how your race engine building has anything to do with this thread. You are saying those engines you built were completely stock? And did not use anything to make them work better?
It's all about understanding flow characteristics. I used to build not only full race motors but also many production class bikes that could not be modified much. In Many cases just opening up intakes and exhausts changes the flow and ruins power bands and torque curves. I have seen many older Yamaha's that made more power by actually reducing the port sizes and increasing intake flow with better angle into the valve for much better distribution in the head and combustion chamber.

·
Registered
1998 Valkyrie, 2017 Africa Twin, 2002 Vulcan, 2007 KLR, 1970 550 Suzuki L
55 Posts
I think we can all agree that some people want to Mod their bikes and some want to leave it bone stock. Some have good reasons for it and other have just reasons. At the end of the day everyone should do what ever they like to their own motorcycle, If it makes more power let us know, if it makes more noise let us know, if it doesn't do either of these things and implodes upon itself and turns into a cube of Unobtainium let us know.;)

I have farted around with bikes trying to squeeze more power from them in the past. My past garage time was one of my main reasons for getting the AT. It is not a high compression engine and is not begging to be tampered with. I chose it for its hopefully long service life and its relatively mild temperament, if you compare it to say a KTM. I will assume that most people who bought this bike also, at some time, compared it to various other KTM models and decided the "Ready to Race" bike wasn't for them.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud you for your efforts to do something new to this bike and please do keep us posted on your perceived or felt or documented results and if you get it dyno'd please share as well. It would be interesting to get real numbers from an owner. Quite often the numbers you get from, lets say an exhaust manufacturer, are not always the most accurate.

Aslo I would love to get a Zero FX for bombing around the cottage, and for sneaking up on deer... insert Rambo Gif Here!!! hahahaha

[/QUOTE

Mr. Gorilla
. Its an old concept discovered by Mr. Venturi. I had to learn it the hard way. I was taught to lean to peak and back off a tad. If you don't you exceed peak EGT'S and chew up valves and pistons. Good luck with your idea.
Mr Wright said if you except what is excepted as truth there will never be advance.

Enjoy the Ride
Ruff rider

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Every bike I've ever owned 30+, have benefited from better jetting and more airflow. Bikes are neutered for EPA from the factory. Everything I've done has improved the powerband and helped! Just trying to help others. If you have no desire to change your moto to work better for you, good. Cruise down a highway have fun. But I've done many things to make my Twin better for me. I ride fast. And creep through rough stuff. I've made this Beast a better bike. So do what you are gonna do, I can give ya a few things that will bring this bike a little closer to it's potential. Much Love for US!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts