Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm sure I read this on the forum somewhere, but cant seem to find the subject again.
Can anybody please verify which brand of Tank Crash Bars, once fitted, Does Not need to be removed again to access the air filters?
Thanks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The OEM bars do not need to be removed. One simply un-screws the two 10mm mounting bolts under the headlamp and the bar hinges down allowing complete access to the plastics and their removal. This takes about 10 seconds.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Griff,
I was a bit concerned, as I have a set of Hepco & Becker to fit.
They look the same as OEM, so maybe that will work also ??
Cheers

·
Registered
86 Posts
SW Motex make a bar that fits the lower part of the bike fairing but I wouldn't call them crash bars. they are more of a frame slider, You can watch the video, they are well made but don't have the full upper protection like other bars. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
H&b upper crashbars HAS to be removed in order to remove fairing. Spent couple of hours trying not to do it, but without success

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
H&b upper crashbars HAS to be removed in order to remove fairing. Spent couple of hours trying not to do it, but without success
OK, thanks for the bad news on the H&B upper crash bars. BUT As they look the same as OEM I wonder, is there a possibility that with some small Mod they may work like OEM ???

·
Registered
17 Posts
I will try to make some spacers for them while cold winter times, making them a little wider than they are, but with possibility to remove fairing with ease. Will report this mod as it will be done

·
Registered
38 Posts
I also have the Outback Motortek bars, and their skid plate.

No issue getting the plastics off with the bars on, and I have had to do it many times, for auxiliary electrical, booster plug, heated grips.

What a pain the plastic is!!

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will try to make some spacers for them while cold winter times, making them a little wider than they are, but with possibility to remove fairing with ease. Will report this mod as it will be done
Thanks Helgi, please keep me updated if you find a suitable mod.
As I live in sunny Queensland Australia we don't stop riding in winter, in fact we don't really know what winter is! Sorry! :wink2:
Anyhow because I too have H&B, I will also look for a solution in my spare time if possible, .
Thanks mate, enjoy your ride :smile2:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Outback Motortek bars protect the tank area and don't have to be removed to take off the side panels. Put DNA filters in the other day. No problem.
Link to their site to order and has pictures. http://europe.global.outbackmotortek.com/product/honda-africa-twin-crf1000l-crash-bars/
I have a set on my Twin and think they are well designed and look the part.
Hi Barry,
Thanks for the link, I looked at these in the past but wasn't sure if they protected the top part of the tank and cowl, can I ask, have you tried (gently) laying the bike over on its side to see if they would work in the event? Cheers.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the Hepco Becker bars fitted. You will need to undo the four bolts under the front fairing drop them down without undoing the bottom centre bolt. However, the front mud guard must also come off to allow the crash bars to go down far enough. It's not a difficult job, just takes some time to undo all the bits and pieces.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I remember seeing photo's on the Motortek site showing the Africa Twin on its side. They laid out a a sheet of cardboard and rested the bike on it's side. The crash bars and handle bars kept everything else off the ground
They had their bash plate fitted which ensured there was no crankcase damage.
Sorry, but I can't now find the photo's on their site.
You will have to have a hunt around and see if you have better luck than me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I yesterday fitted some Outback Motortek crashbars and their Skidplate (along with some proper barkbusters). i don't intend doing lots of serious off-roading but feel a lot easier about chancing it now the bike (and me) are better protected. I still think a 250 is plenty big enough for most trail riding available in the UK, but intend doing some off road riding on next summers holiday in Spain (pyrenees and andorra)

ian

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks paulwb99 & mek for the YOUTUBE links, those Bars look like they'll do the job.
Thanks Chris, for the heads-up on taking the Front m/guard off with the H&B, because that Engine Bolt can be a *itch to get to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts