Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just picked up my AT and have begun the process of reading about different air filters for the CRF, (based on manufactureres advice and sales information). Does anyone have suggestions based on proven results as to which filter are best?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Factory for me have been great. I'm still running the ones that came stock because I can't bring myself to remove the fairing again!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jason,

I will leave mine in for now, but will definitely have to change them to something a little more suited to the dry and dusty conditions which I often ride in (Queensland Australia).

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hi, just picked up my AT and have begun the process of reading about different air filters for the CRF, (based on manufactureres advice and sales information). Does anyone have suggestions based on proven results as to which filter are best?
Uni Filter make foam filters for them but it looks like the stock filters and the snorkels to them are very well designed even in very dusty conditions they look to be good for stock service intervals at 12k KM even off road. Others here in AU have done long runs in very dusty conditions 8K KM and they look fine. I have just checked mine at 7K KM and there were a few bugs in there but hardly any dirt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The air filters are very difficult to access. Don't get any ideas of popping a couple of clips to inspect your air filters every morning of a massive central-Australia bull dust adventure.

The fairing needs to be removed for a starters, which is time consuming, and a few more things besides.

My dealer echoed SkipD's observation that even long dusty trips don't appear to affect the AT's air filters. I remain skeptical--anyone who has driven/ridden Australian Outback tracks will know how much dust is kicked up. If you're trailing another vehicle your air filters only have dust to breath. Whenever I've 4WDed through central Australia I have inspected my air filters every morning and often enough been glad that I did.

I wouldn't mind some UniFilter (or similar) air-intake socks which I can pull out every morning and inspect with ease. Has anyone seen anything like this?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have 8,000 miles on my AT, I decided to pick up both a Uni and OEM airfilter to try out. I rode a bit more then half of these miles off road so I'm curious to see what the OEM filters look like. I may try the Uni this time and hold onto my OEM ones. I'm tyipically not a fan of oil type filters but I get them for dirt bikes however for the mileage and use the AT sees I am leaning more to the stock air filters. Let's see how it goes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Here are my air filters after 8000 mile, a bit over half those miles off road. I installed the OEM Honda air filters again.

I do have a set of Uni-Filters (new in original packaging) that showed up after this was over if anyone wants to buy them, $125 (plus shipping).

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
OK, so from what I have heard, read, and now from talking to an Outback Australian dealer, who's words were, if you want to do some serious long distance dirt road rides with river crossings on your AT and with a group of other riders kicking up some dust, then here is my experience on Air Filters.
1. forget OEM and Paper type filters, although very good in dry conditions if you drop it in water and the paper gets wet, then good luck with trying to dry them out.
2. forget Foam, have you seen the size of the surface area on a AT filter? 1mm of dust on such a small area doesn't take long to build up, 2mm thick of dust and it almost goodnight Irene. Foam filters are designed for easy frequent cleaning and you don't want to be doing this on a big long multi day outback ride, especially on the AT and its not so easy to get to filters.
3. use Oiled Pleated cotton filters the like of BMC or K&N, with these he found the best of both worlds, they can be dried out if wet, (it's hard to actually get a oiled filter wet) and the pleated design gives it a far greater surface area than a plain flat Foam one, in fact, he has had a pleated type where the pleat valley's were half full of dust and didn't seem to restrict the breathing. They also don't require cleaning and re-oiling as often as a normal Foam one.
Now, like most of the worlds SUV vehicle owners most AT owners will never venture past a slightly dusty road, let alone a deep river crossing, in that case any of the 3 types will be fine. Whichever sticker looks great on your bike.
Yep, sounds like good advise to me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The difference between stock paper, foam and oiled cotton are correct in terms of getting them wet or clogging but another consideration is actual filtration. Paper tends to filter the best in terms of size of particle that it stops but it also clogs the easiest as the dust quickly builds up on the surface of the paper. Foam, filters almost as well and the thickness of the foam provides a little more capacity and the dirt penetrates further into the foam. The pleated cotton types provide the greatest resistance to clogging and less resistance to flow but don't filter down to the same level and are more sensitive to correct oiling procedure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts