Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what everyone plans for airfilters?

I head K&N's are BRUTAL in the dirt, but what about something foam?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Good news everyone! Taking the liberty of cutting and pasting the quote below, from another web-site (you know the one!)

Hi Myles from Unifilter here. We have developed a new kit for the CRF1000L. We will have these in-stock next week. Our kit is easy to fit and service. We also have a snorkel pre-filter available but this does require the intake snorkels to be modified. You can find all the information here. http://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-us/d366_HONDAADV.html if you have any questions please contact me. These will be available through our Australian Dealer network and Touratech shortly. Cheers

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm just going to leave the air filter stock. Don't really see a need to replace one from a new bike.
Depends on how long the stock ones last and what they cost the Unifilter at $200 with pre filter might work out better if its very dusty and you need to clean (replace) the stock one frequently. The other advantage is that there are many places you might go that wont have replacement (stock) filters but if you only have to clean and re-lube the foam ones you are good to go on a longer ride. Just depends on the conditions as to what direction makes sense to each owner, the pre filter lets you pack them in plastic bags in your luggage pre oiled and just swap them every few days or as required on really dusty trips. The first time you dust a motor every $ you spend on a very good air-filter is money well spent and it will be chicken feed to the $2-3K you will spend getting the bike home if it quits.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just spoke with Uni filter USA they had or rather the gentleman I spoke with no idea about the bike even existing . LOL. needless to say the AU uni filters which is a separate entity all together has them available.
some even with a big pre filter sock that goes into the snorkel tube & requires modification of the snorkel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My two cents,
Increased air flow means accelerated engine wear.Honda developed the air box to allow a certain amount of airflow to match the filter.I would stick to the stock filter unless your going to modify air box .Change out the filter more often if your riding in dusty conditions more often.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I posted this reply previously, since then I have fitted BMC and after the time it took I'm glad I don't have to check and clean MX type FOAM Filters after every few rides.

OK, so from what I have heard, read, and now from talking to an Outback Australian dealer, who's words were, if you want to do some serious long distance dirt road rides with river crossings on your AT and with a group of other riders kicking up some dust, then here is my experience on Air Filters.
1. forget OEM and Paper type filters, although very good in dry conditions if you drop it in water and the paper gets wet, then good luck with trying to dry them out.
2. forget Foam, have you seen the size of the surface area on a AT filter? 1mm of dust on such a small area doesn't take long to build up, 2mm thick of dust and it almost goodnight Irene. Foam filters are designed for easy frequent cleaning and you don't want to be doing this on a big long multi day outback ride, especially on the AT and its not so easy to get to filters.
3. use Oiled Pleated cotton filters the like of BMC or K&N, with these he found the best of both worlds, they can be dried out if wet, (it's hard to actually get a oiled filter wet) and the pleated design gives it a far greater surface area than a plain flat Foam one, in fact, he has had a pleated type where the pleat valley's were half full of dust and didn't seem to restrict the breathing. They also don't require cleaning and re-oiling as often as a normal Foam one.
Now, like most of the worlds SUV vehicle owners most AT owners will never venture past a slightly dusty road, let alone a deep river crossing, in that case any of the 3 types will be fine. Whichever sticker looks great on your bike.
Yep, sounds like good advise to me.

·
Registered
230 Posts
3. use Oiled Pleated cotton filters the like of BMC or K&N,
I switched to K&N filters on some race bikes in the past for a short time. At rebuilds I'd see the score marks on the pistons and cylinder walls and wondered who was starting up my bike and cold seizing it when I wasn't around. Then I started putting grease on the sealing surfaces and the inside of my intake tube on the clean side and found all the dirt buildup in there passing the k&n filters. So I went back to uni foam, 15 years ish of foam and never a dust problem since. I've left them all season without cleaning them on trail bikes. I wouldn't worry in the slightest about using the uni filters on the africa twin.

I'd suggest using the grease sealing and filter pass through detection method to anyone to evaluate your filter performance. These bikes are new and very few people have run them thousands of miles through dust with the factory setup. Take a bit of time in the garage to check your setup to insure you keep your investment safe and not run into issues like ktm did in 2013. Their stock filter setup on the 1190s toasted quite a few engines that sucked in dust. To fix the issue they had to redesign the airbox and switch to a 3 stage uni foam filter from the factory.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I switched to K&N filters on some race bikes in the past for a short time. At rebuilds I'd see the score marks on the pistons and cylinder walls and wondered who was starting up my bike and cold seizing it when I wasn't around. Then I started putting grease on the sealing surfaces and the inside of my intake tube on the clean side and found all the dirt buildup in there passing the k&n filters. So I went back to uni foam, 15 years ish of foam and never a dust problem since. I've left them all season without cleaning them on trail bikes. I wouldn't worry in the slightest about using the uni filters on the africa twin.

I'd suggest using the grease sealing and filter pass through detection method to anyone to evaluate your filter performance. These bikes are new and very few people have run them thousands of miles through dust with the factory setup. Take a bit of time in the garage to check your setup to insure you keep your investment safe and not run into issues like ktm did in 2013. Their stock filter setup on the 1190s toasted quite a few engines that sucked in dust. To fix the issue they had to redesign the airbox and switch to a 3 stage uni foam filter from the factory.
Totally agree, K&N although great on paved roads and racetracks, are useless in dirty dusty conditions, as they allow certain minute particles to pass through. Take a good look at one and hold it up to the light!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I switched to K&N filters on some race bikes in the past for a short time. ETC

Totally agree, K&N although great on paved roads and racetracks, are useless in dirty dusty conditions, as they allow certain minute particles to pass through. Take a good look at one and hold it up to the light!
Thanks for your input guys, As I was taking advise and experience from an Outback Dealer, I decided to fit the BMC, I have ridden many dusty Enduros in the past and always used Foam, and always cleaned after every event. As the AT filters are more difficult to access I thought I'd try the BMC, but I will keep an eye on them and do the grease test, Thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Dennis,
I just purchased the Unifilter set and included the two pre filters. I have used Unifilters on a number of bikes and believe that the oiled filters are definitely an advantage in the dust, something that riding in my part of the country seems to produce copious amount of.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
HUMMMMMM! I just read your post above and think that you have a strong point to argue. I guess between the two of us, we can compare after a few km's.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts