Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case people are wondering about whether the Airhawk2 fits the AT seat, here's a picture of mine in position. Actually when I sat on it I realised I needed it further forwards - and it fit even better when I moved it. Haven't tried it out on a ride yet but might do at the weekend.
Mike

·
Registered
295 Posts
That's good to know. I have one tucked away. I didn't need it on the Integra after fitting the fantastic Shad seat. Might be a good compromise of the seat in the low position and giving a gnats more height. I have only ridden with the seat in the high position so far. I could flat foot once I had stopped and got my feet behind the pegs but found it difficult to stop and get my foot in that position at the same time. Will give the lower position a try as I am sure it will be a confidence booster until I get fully used to the bike but hope it is not too cramped. The high position was a very comfortable fit.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Do you guys like those airhawks? I am just wondering because I brought one for my old ktm 990 and I found I got a sore back if I used it for long periods. In the end I just used the stock seat, I got a sore arse but did not get a sore back like I did with the airhawk.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found it useful on my NC750X which was good for about 3 hours on the stock seat. It was brilliant to be able to carry the deflated airhawk 2 in the Not-Tank of the NC and use it when the bum bones got sore at 3hours plus rides. Most people put too much air in them BTW - you only need a tiny amount so it shouldn't in theory make the ride height much higher. Not sure why it would give you a sore back though Kaosad.
Mike

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mike I see under Honda on Air Hawks site they only list 3 options, which one do you have?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike I see under Honda on Air Hawks site they only list 3 options, which one do you have?
I'm pretty sure it's the cruiser medium (I bought it for my Rocket3 way back). It looks very like the images of the Airhawk2 if I do a search, and it looks about 14 by 14 inches.
..... But hey I haven't tried it yet. Will report back after the weekend.
Mike

·
Registered
797 Posts
I bought an AirHawk 2 when I had my 12GS as the stock seat was terrible with numb bum setting in at a mere 50 miles. I didn't really gel with the AH. Played about with how much/little air in it, position and although it did help, it didn't help enough. I cured the discomfort with a Sargent seat......fabulous piece of kit and probably in the top two mods I carried out on that bike.

I'm patiently awaiting the release of the new Sargent for the AT.

·
Registered
96 Posts
There is an automotive upholstery place near where I live who reshaped the foam and added a gel layer on top of my old f650 gs seat. Cost me about $400 and was the best money I have ever spent on a upgrade.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I have done some long rides on my AT now and I have had the airhawk with me but never felt inclined to use it. Full marks to Honda for what looks to be a pretty uncomfortable seat but isn't. One of the complaints on the NC forum was that the seat tipped you forwards (and therefore you slid forwards at avery braking point). I didn't really think that's what caused the aching bum problem on the NC but I note that the sitting part of the AT seat is very horizontal so maybe they were right.
Mike

·
Registered
96 Posts
Fitting some highway pegs off the crashbars or somewhere else can help with the sliding forward issue. I am going to fit a set off the side my B&B bash plate. I find just being able to change positions when riding is the biggest help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts