Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a thread earlier asking if anyone had removed inserts. I have since removed my inserts. I did it without removing pipe. I used a small grinding stone on drill and ground off the burr on the weld. You need to drill a 6mm hole to free the weld which is stainless steel and very hard to drill. I drilled a 2mm hole and then went one mm up till got to a 6mm hole. I don't have any special tools so was the only way I could do it. I then used the back off a shifting spanner and pushed it deep into the insert and moved from side to side to free the insert and it came out easy no hammering. Sounds nice and deep not too loud. Inserts can easily be replaced with capped screw and nut.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
You could use a couple of Akra rubber grommets, that's what covers the hole on my 640 Adv Akra when I have removed the db killer.

M

·
Registered
32 Posts
The holes don't look too bad at all, but looks like you did a clean job ! Would love to hear a video of it as well. Not too sure why you can only upload one photo at a time but I think it's a fairly common issue here.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for input. Was away on a dual sport adventure ride. Noticed a few other Akrapovic pipes with similar end cap and no insert and all had that hole so seems normal. I do not like loud pipes but this sound is perfect for me. After 4 days of riding am loving the sound!!!! What a nice deep sound and at freeway speeds can hardly hear it. My mate said when he was behind me on freeway couldn't hear it. I will try upload a sound clip this week.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi!

May I ask in which country you are living or, do you ride your AT only off-road?

In Austria it would be tricky to have no DB eater inserted in the Akra on public roads.

Greetings, gerhard

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi!

May I ask in which country you are living or, do you ride your AT only off-road?

In Austria it would be tricky to have no DB eater inserted in the Akra on public roads.

Greetings, gerhard
Hi. I live in South Africa. I ride more on public roads than offroad. It's not loud like some of the other pipes without insert it's just a lot deeper. Can't say for other countries though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi. I live in South Africa. I ride more on public roads than offroad. It's not loud like some of the other pipes without insert it's just a lot deeper. Can't say for other countries though.
Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting the pics and video. Helped me a lot!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Apologies for the topic bumping but I am currently trying to remove my baffles, got the hole drilled but for the life of me I can't get any movement from it, any ideas on trying something to loosen it off ??

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Push back end off big shifting spaner into insert and wrigle it free. Mine came out easy. Unless you drilled hole off center and there is still weld there

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello hello, I really need some help.
I have been following the instructions provided with my Akra. After some struggling I managed to drill a couple small holes on the exhaust, then I started working the bottom one with a Dremel in order to wide it up to about 6 mm diameter.

Now unfortunately I still can't remove the darn baffle.
If I look through the drilled hole still seems the baffle and the exhaust are a whole piece (probably due to the yet unremoved welding?). Anyhow, 6 mm seems to me quite a hell of a hole...... ?

Should I make it larger? Should I try to force the baffle out somehow?

Please suggestions...

·
Registered
3 Posts
UPDATE, I manged to remove quite easily the top baffle.
Otherwise, there is no way to bring the bottom baffle out... it only moves downward the exhaust when (gently) hit with a hammer.
I am really struggling to take it out using a vice grips and wd40... any suggestion?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts