Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would post photos of some things I bought on Alexpress. Probably the most obvious is the windshield spoiler. Concept is similar to those from MRA and Puig. I went with this option until the MRA I ordered ever gets off backorder. It does a pretty nice job but overall it doesn't work as well as the complete MRA windscreen did on my 2018 with similar spoiler. In some ways this spoiler is better as it has the ability to actually lock into position. I have tested it at triple-digit speeds with no issue.

Moving down to the base of the windshield, you'll see dark smoke wind deflectors on both sides. As with almost all things Aliexpress based, there are no instructions. They came with replacement screws and washers that I used to stand off the deflectors from the mount a bit. That gave me some clearance away from the fairing in some areas. A little bit of careful tweaking and I got them off the paint but in alignment with the fairing. They hug pretty close but just enough room so vibration shouldn't cause any issues.

Lastly are the handguard inserts. Can you say G!v!? While not a direct copy, they are pretty close at about 40% of the price. Best of all, they work quite well and really improve the effectiveness of the heated grips. I can say the lack of instructions made the time consuming to figure out. I tried a few different variations and found one I like. In the end they do make a difference and I like how they look. Other than a few semi-sharp edges that I hit with emery cloth, the quality was pretty good on them and shipping was fast for all my items (about 14-16 days). One thing to note, you have to watch the clearance at first turn to full lock to make sure it doesn't impact the tank.

More Alibaubles showed up but haven't had any time to install the others yet. So far the investment for the parts show is about $150 including express shipping for some items. They all functioned as expected and definitely worth the investment.

I also slapped on some Conti Trail Attack 3's. What a difference over the Karoos. They stick better on the road which is where I spend 90% of my time with this bike (have a dedicated dirtbike for the rough stuff). For me the biggest reason to get rid of the Karoos was the noise on the highway. They are better offroad than the Contis from what I've tried but that isn't as important to me as being quiet on the road.

Also added my Givi tank bag while at it. Definitely a nice addition.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had some more highway time to see what improvement the handguards and wind deflectors make. It was in the 40's (F) here tonight. The handguards did a great job of keeping the cold away. For me 40F is like 0F for some of you living in colder climates. My hands were very nicely shielded and it means I can ride with a light glove for better control.

As for the wind deflectors and the spoiler, together they were very close to the MRA screen I had on my 2018. I think once I det the updraft blocker put on, I will be pretty happy. I ran out of time to put it on today. I have a pretty nice still air pocket that I can even keep my face mask open at about 90 mph and be very comfy. The main issue is the buffeting I get from the updraft.

The whole wind management aspect of how my 2018 was setup has been an area where I thought my old bike was clearly superior. Now I am pretty close to parity with the old bike and that was one of the best setup bikes for me I've ever owned. The one bike that is better for me is my K1600GT and I must have tried 5 different windscreens before I found one that really worked for me. The quietness of the cockpit makes me appreciate the Conti Trail Attack 3's even more. They do have a slight whine but by 50 the wind noise is louder. They are pretty amazing tires so far. I loved the Karoos other than the noise and would definitely consider them again if I was going to do more dirt riding.

I have to say the Alibaubles are the best money I've spent on the bike so far. Well worth the slight investment.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are links to some of the things I've bought so far.

Go here for the handguards.

Here for the wind deflectors on the fairing.

I bought this fender extension for the front but haven't installed it yet.

And I got these TPMS monitoring sets and seeing which I like better.

Here is the updraft protector that is going on shortly.

And a cool AT shirt.

Kickstand foot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts