Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After testing a Triumph XCX and Yamaha Super Tenere, I finally rode the Africa Twin DCT and fell in love. I have a heavy cruiser as well and absolutely want a light (relatively speaking), nimble, powerful bike with off road capability. The AT DCT checks all those boxes for me. A couple of questions:

- Since DCT is somewhat new, are there any early kinks that are annoying?
- My dealer has a 2016 silver ready to go. Is the 2017 a better buy with features/ improvements (are there any changes?) if color is not a deciding factor?
- What dealer installed options are "must haves"?

Thanks in advance!
Joe

·
Registered
34 Posts
After testing a Triumph XCX and Yamaha Super Tenere, I finally rode the Africa Twin DCT and fell in love. I have a heavy cruiser as well and absolutely want a light (relatively speaking), nimble, powerful bike with off road capability. The AT DCT checks all those boxes for me. A couple of questions:

- My dealer has a 2016 silver ready to go. Is the 2017 a better buy with features/ improvements (are there any changes?) if color is not a deciding factor?
- What dealer installed options are "must haves"?

Thanks in advance!
Joe
Hmmm! Don't know if you would call this a 'kink' or 'par-for the course.' From a cold engine start, if you don't give the engine time -like about 30 seconds to get the oil flowing everywhere- the clutch will grab late on first engagement of the day. After that, it's good for the rest of the ride, unless you let the engine go completely cold again. I recommmend a few gentle RPM increases in Nuetral if you want to take off immediately... especially if you need to do tight manuvers at slow speed right away, like a U-turn.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
3,419 Posts
I was just test riding the AT on Friday and my dealer had a 2016 and a 2017 DCT. From what they told me, the only difference that isn't cosmetic, is a change to the spokes. I guess some folks had some issues with the 2016 spokes corroding? Since I can get the 2016 for $3,000 less out the door and Colorado isn't a high corrosion area, I am going to go for the 2016, should I decide to pull the trigger. I put down a deposit and took the weekend as a "cooling off" period to make sure I still want it come Tuesday :)

I will be curious on what you decide

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought a 2016 Silver DCT in January, 2017 even though I knew the 2017 models would be out soon. However, the deal on the 2016 made it worthwhile to go with the 2016 as opposed to the 2017. I too have a heavy cruiser, and I find myself riding the Africa Twin as much as I do the cruiser. It's a great bike.
Good luck with your choice and let us know what your get.

·
Registered
238 Posts
No difference in the 2016/2017 bikes.some 2017 spokes still corroding.Thats what the guarantee is for.i too hv heavy cruisers and I seem to be drawn to my AT more.easy throw around and easy clean.Its raining heavy this morning and the AT will be coming out.Love the bike so far.Quick tip,when taking off wind shield,don't fully screw out bottom screws.lift screen up and pull out.same when putting back.well nuts on bottom are loosely fitted and may fall into back of lights.nightmare to retrieve.all fairings to come off ?????

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. A couple more:

-How is the OEM "Low" seat? Is it a lot harder than stock (less padding?)? I am 5'10" with a 30" inseam and can get the balls of both my feet down with the seat in the lower position. I have a sloping driveway that I need to roll the bike backwards to get out of my garage so an extra inch or two would feel better.

- Since there is so much gadgetry on board, I am thinking about an extended warranty? Thoughts/cost etc.? Can you buy Honda extended warranty from an outside party?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
89 Posts
At 5' 10", you should be fine with the stock seat adjusted to its low position. You'll lose padding/comfort if you go for the low seat option. I'd recommend you haggle for the Honda 12V accessory socket to be fitted....it's a pain to fit later as lots of plastics have to come off. The only change for 2017 was improved coatings to the spokes to resist corrosion a bit more effectively. Honda replaced a lot of wheels under warranty in 2016. If the 2016 bike is being offered at a significant discount, I'd go for it....just keep an eye on the spokes while it's still under warranty. Extended warranty.... personally, I'd save my money and buy some baubles for the bike, but others won't necessarily agree.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The low seat is firmer than the standard. I am similar build to you, my solution was to lower the bike a bit and go back with the standard seat - less knee bend too. For me getting just balls of feet down is fine until you hit a really bad camber, slope - and a quick stop say in traffic with the above thrown in - and if you want real thrills add a little gravel too. I know some folk are against lowering, but for me doing mostly tarmac it suits. I went with Soupy and adjustable side stand.

I bought the AT because I wanted another DCT with a bit more stomp than the NC - but not too much more weight, so for me the fact that it is an ADV bike was secondary and my aim was always to tailor the bike to me.

That being said I think it is a cracking all rounder and I have had all genres (apart from out and out crutch rockets) since the late 1960's
John

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ive owned both!
2016 and 2017 models, the differences are not noticeable at all, let your heart and wallet do the deciding.
No need to go for the 2017 model, I exchanged mine for better PCP deal and the hope that the spokes are better ( i doubt it tbh)
I also have standard and low seat, I keep the low seat for the winter when two flat feet on the deck is reassuring but its no where near as comfy as the standard.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
76 Posts
The DCT is fine, it is the rider's that seem to have the problems then blame the bike (based on internet posts)
You need to adapt to the DCT and forget about single clutch 6 speed transmissions, scooters or automatics, DCT is none of those.

Let it warm up a bit from cold (goes for any bike)
Put it in neutral before you shut it down, its only a push of a button.

DCT is not new for Honda but it is for a lot of buyers of bike so equipped.
Good luck whatever you choose, it seems the difference between the 2016 and 2017 is little more than paint and increased cost (over a run out 2016)

·
Registered
72 Posts
The DCT is fine, it is the rider's that seem to have the problems then blame the bike (based on internet posts)
You need to adapt to the DCT and forget about single clutch 6 speed transmissions, scooters or automatics, DCT is none of those.

Let it warm up a bit from cold (goes for any bike)
Put it in neutral before you shut it down, its only a push of a button.

DCT is not new for Honda but it is for a lot of buyers of bike so equipped.
Good luck whatever you choose, it seems the difference between the 2016 and 2017 is little more than paint and increased cost (over a run out 2016)
I thought the DCT automatically went into neutral when you turned the ignition off.

·
Administrator
3,419 Posts
Ask for a main stand as well as the 12V socket. They're both essential bits of kit that Honda 'forgot' to include as standard on their flagship 'Adventure' bike!
I definitely agree about the main stand, though KTM also left it off the 1090. I realize the 1090 isn't their flagship bike, but both should definitely have included it.

The 12v socket, I am OK without. I plan to put a dual USB in the space instead. I have always just used it for power cell phone or recharging my Sena if need be. I am ordering one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPSYBKE?th=1

For my Stop-n-Go air compressor, heated gear (the rare times I use it), etc. I just use the battery tender pigtail.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I definitely agree about the main stand, though KTM also left it off the 1090. I realize the 1090 isn't their flagship bike, but both should definitely have included it.

The 12v socket, I am OK without. I plan to put a dual USB in the space instead. I have always just used it for power cell phone or recharging my Sena if need be. I am ordering one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPSYBKE?th=1

For my Stop-n-Go air compressor, heated gear (the rare times I use it), etc. I just use the battery tender pigtail.
Where did you get the connector to attach the air compressor to your battery tender pigtail? I have an Optimate pigtail attached to my PC8 and would love to run a compressor off that.

·
Administrator
3,419 Posts
Where did you get the connector to attach the air compressor to your battery tender pigtail? I have an Optimate pigtail attached to my PC8 and would love to run a compressor off that.
The Stop & Go mini compressor I own already has a 66" power cord that fits the battery tender pigtail. It also comes with a 36" extension adapter for a 12v cigarette lighter, but I never use it.

Instead I purchased 6' extension lead from Deltran.

Edit: If you already own a compressor that is hard wired with a 12V cigarette connector, you will need this

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was thinking about SW Motech crash bars and center stand but the Honda center stand looks stouter (in pics). Any insight between the 2 center stands from Honda and SW Motech?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 37 Posts