Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ALOC bolts are fitted to such things as Discs and ABS rings. Honda say these bolts should be replaced every time they are removed. I am pretty sure that 90% of people don't replace them with new ones. But what are these bolts. I have read various threads (no pun !!) and some say hollow bolts, some say locktite coated, some say one shot stretch bolts. So does anyone know the truth on what ALOC bolts are ?

·
Registered
CRF1100L DCT
281 Posts
Anaerobic Locking Compound (such as Loctite)

Anaerobic adhesives work by completely filling gaps between metal components. Using an anaerobic adhesive prevents loosening from vibration and also protects the joint from corrosion or rust that can result from moisture. They are typically used to augment the seal or holding force of a mechanically joined assembly.

I bought and fitted new bolts when I got the Alpina wheels but have reused these bolts in the past, so long as you clean all the old locking compound off the bolt and out of the hole and apply blue Loctite it'll be fine.

For added piece of mind I add a dot of paint so you can see quite quickly if there is any movement.

·
Registered
CRF1100L DCT
281 Posts
Acetone/Alcohol/Nail varnish remover, light heat, wire brush or run a die down the thread, for the wheel a thread cleaner,tap or even the clean bolt then blow it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts