Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
To me Bartubeless is not that different to Outex or 3M solutions and the main issue in my opinion is that they do seal the spokes and they become non-serviceable.
The front has bead retention grooves, which greatly improves the odds of being about to do a simple plug and inflate repair when you get a flat. Compared to a sealed front AT wheel, where you'll be lucky if you get a front flat and the tire bead doesn't lose its seal.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Concluding:

1. Alpina Wheels

* there are cases that leakages through the o-rings have happened
* Home Service is quite dificult and rather risky (based on the instructions I have seen in their site
* cost is high

2. Kineo

* best solution available
* cost is SUPER high, close to non justifiable to most of us

3. Outex/3M solution

* Low Cost
* highly dependand on self skills
* not recomended for the front wheel due to the absence of the hump
* Problematic service in case of a leak

4. Bartubless

* Cost is so and so, yet the cheaper proffesional solution
* Seems reliable enough; I have not found many cases with reported leakages
* Can be self serviced in case of a leak, through the kit they provide

So, it seems that the Bartubless is the best scenario for cost/reliability/servicability

·
Registered
73 Posts
Concluding:

1. Alpina Wheels

* there are cases that leakages through the o-rings have happened
* Home Service is quite dificult and rather risky (based on the instructions I have seen in their site
* cost is high

2. Kineo

* best solution available
* cost is SUPER high, close to non justifiable to most of us

3. Outex/3M solution

* Low Cost
* highly dependand on self skills
* not recomended for the front wheel due to the absence of the hump
* Problematic service in case of a leak

4. Bartubless

* Cost is so and so, yet the cheaper proffesional solution
* Seems reliable enough; I have not found many cases with reported leakages
* Can be self serviced in case of a leak, through the kit they provide

So, it seems that the Bartubless is the best scenario for cost/reliability/servicability
After going through the same thought process as you, I arrived at the same conclusion and ordered Bartubeless. Still very expensive though, and I can't help thinking that honda got this wrong for most of us.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
After going through the same thought process as you, I arrived at the same conclusion and ordered Bartubeless. Still very expensive though, and I can't help thinking that honda got this wrong for most of us.
Do you happen to know what brand are the rims they use? are they aluminum or steel?

same for the hubs, do you have any info?

I have emailed them and hope they shall reply. anyway...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Do you happen to know what brand are the rims they use? are they aluminum or steel?

same for the hubs, do you have any info?

I have emailed them and hope they shall reply. anyway...
I have ordered my wheels from Rally-Raid (www.rallyraid.co.uk). You can see details of there wheel specifications on their website. I have gone for the19"/17" option. I like the fact that the rims are powder coated instead of anodised.

·
Registered
45 Posts
For Bartubless there is no need to buy new wheels. It can be applied to the original ones, except they change the front rim to ensure it has a hump. That must be the best value for money from all of the available options.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Where would you send your wheels to have the Bartubless installed on your rims and what would be the cost. I live in the US and there are no dealers to my knowledge that would do the process. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
For Bartubless there is no need to buy new wheels. It can be applied to the original ones, except they change the front rim to ensure it has a hump. That must be the best value for money from all of the available options.
Yes, this is true but I'd rather not go that way for 2 reasons:

a. I do not have space to have the bike left withoyt wheels for the time needed to send the wheels to Italy nd back

b. If something would go wrong with the new wheel, I will still have my OE wheels.

Yet, indeed the cost for this option is very tempting...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have ordered my wheels from Rally-Raid (www.rallyraid.co.uk). You can see details of there wheel specifications on their website. I have gone for the19"/17" option. I like the fact that the rims are powder coated instead of anodised.
Seen them; I prefer to stick with the 21/18 but they provide only in black while 19/17 they offer also in gold....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Be careful, I went from OEM black to SM Pro Gold thinking they looked good.
Found that I am now cleaning loads more as the gold rims don't look good mucky whereas the black ones didn't show.
Mind you when they are clean and along with a gold chain and sprocket look, in my mind, really nice.
What am I like? - don't answer that!
Z

·
Registered
382 Posts
I chose black everything so I don't have to worry about cleaning. Though I ACF'd the rims as soon as I got the bike and now they're black anyway.

Maybe I'm the odd one out, but I never liked the gold rims on the AT. Had the colour been an option I would have asked for black rims. Black tubeless rims... Even if that came as an extra cost upgrade.

As it happens, a friend of mine is about to push the button on a brand new R nine T racer.. He thought the spoked wheel upgrade was a bargain at £395. Until, that is, he was told they were tubed. He changed his mind and is having the standard tubeless rims.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Definitely black is the way to go if you want to avoid the real PITA cleaning of the rims. But, I would spend the same time cleaning black rims as I do for the gold anyway; that's just me and my peculiar notion. Consider that when I wash the bike, I spend at least 2.5 hrs if not more; and still I consider the bike not clean enough.

BTW, cheking Bartubless FB page, I saw the ATAS in silver rims; I think it suits it much more than the gold ones. When I will order mine most probably I will go with the silver ones.

IMPORTANT: I exchanged some mails with BArtubless. At this time they use GLM rims, but end of April they are switching to EXCEL. Searching the net, I found out that eventually EXCEL had decided to produce front rims for 21" with the hump. So, I will be waiting a bit for them to start producing with EXCEL and then order.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Really, if you want the very best go with KINEO. They are good and look super. As earlier said the spokes do not go thru the rim, and you can choose many color combinations. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Heres another idea... Bike has tubeless 19/17 wheels fitted. sent to Italy for the Bartubless treatment. included in the (not unreasonable) price. maybe worth looking at if you intend to use the bike on-road only.

http://tinyurl.com/ydybxoks

Thanks for the photo Motorbiker.

I do not intend to go to 17/19, but I was curious how the bike would look with the smaller diameter wheels.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts