Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Heres another idea... Bike has tubeless 19/17 wheels fitted. sent to Italy for the Bartubless treatment. included in the (not unreasonable) price. maybe worth looking at if you intend to use the bike on-road only.

http://tinyurl.com/ydybxoks

Those are the wheels I have on order - being delivered tomorrow :smile2:
Just got to decide whether to continue to use Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2's or try the Rally STR. i won't be riding offroad so maybe the Trip 2's will be better?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm using 3M tape solution , 20.000+ km without any problem
Added Garmin tire pressure monitor front and rear, so i see permanently the pressure on my Garmin nav .

·
Registered
278 Posts
...that's just me and my peculiar notion. Consider that when I wash the bike, I spend at least 2.5 hrs if not more; and still I consider the bike not clean enough.

BTW, cheking Bartubless FB page, I saw the ATAS in silver rims; I think it suits it much more than the gold ones. When I will order mine most probably I will go with the silver ones.
For keeping our bikes clean, we are of a mind, Petros. I *love* cleaning my bike. It's never a chore. I find it relaxing and enjoyable--getting into every nook and cranny. And stepping back to enjoy the glimmering beauty. I swear they made the 2018 ATAS to my exact specifications! Such a beautiful bike!

But as to the wheel color--be still my heart! The gold makes it pop! It's part of the package for me; sets the bike apart. But I have to admit, it looks really nice with stainless or black wheels too, where I've seen it.

Keep us posted, Gary

·
Registered
338 Posts
Heres another idea... Bike has tubeless 19/17 wheels fitted. sent to Italy for the Bartubless treatment. included in the (not unreasonable) price. maybe worth looking at if you intend to use the bike on-road only.

http://tinyurl.com/ydybxoks

That is a very very nice set up you have there. How’s the Touratech Seat?

·
Registered
16 Posts
What size tire; did you put on the front and do they rum against the fork guards. Also how does the bike handle with the new size tires and wheels compared to the OE setup. I am thinking of doing the same and would appreciate your input.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Might two pence worth re Alpinas, had them on a Triumph Bonneville not my AT, Front was great no problem rear several really small leaks losing pressure over time also galvanised spokes which took some looking after, leaks sorted by importer supplying a hand full of replacement nipples. Had them on for 5 years. The Kite hubs they used are stunning quality though.
I won't be buying again.

·
Registered
401 Posts
That is a very very nice set up you have there. How’s the Touratech Seat?
It isnt my bike. and as for the seat.. its not on my shopping list. anecdotally it can be uncomfortable depending on how you sit on the bike and your thighs. A lot of money to take a 'risk' with.

I will be getting a Sargent seat for my Adventure Sport. that will be my first major upgrade after the new wheels (Kineo). followed by Rox risers and lower pegs. For me "mods" are all about increasing the quality of the ride and my comfort - which go hand in hand.
I'll probably add a Hugger too, in White. And the Altrider pillion rack.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It isnt my bike. and as for the seat.. its not on my shopping list. anecdotally it can be uncomfortable depending on how you sit on the bike and your thighs. A lot of money to take a 'risk' with.

I will be getting a Sargent seat for my Adventure Sport. that will be my first major upgrade after the new wheels (Kineo). followed by Rox risers and lower pegs. For me "mods" are all about increasing the quality of the ride and my comfort - which go hand in hand.
I'll probably add a Hugger too, in White. And the Altrider pillion rack.
I’m quite happy with the oem Seat for now, but wonder how well it will last.

I’m all for quality of ride and comfort. But first for me is protection lol, to protect my investment, my insurance excess...and my heart haha. Hence the various crash protectors, lights, tire safety, keeping her clean and unrusted etc. Then I’ll concentrate on ride and comfort if I have any money left :) so leaving seat, screen, suspension etc for later if I feel I need it but for now I’m already in love with the bike and super happy. Get people stopping me in the road to ask questions and stare lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
With all the discussions of wheels and valve stems, I purchased the FOBO T-valve stem. A slick setup when using TPMS and not have to fidget with the sensor when adjusting air pressures. I have about a month now on my "3M sealant" conversion with no loss of air pressure. The wheels have seen temp swings of 65 to 30 F so far. I used Gorilla tape only because I ordered the wrong 3M tape. I am not so sure if was to do again I would use any tape at all. I am running the stock Honda wheels with tubeless Heidenau (spelling?) K-60's as they are bias ply and very rigid sidewalls.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I've just purchased the BARTLESS system with new wheels from SM PRO (I've gone for all black wheels, hubs and spokes). They are getting fitted to the bike tomorrow so Ill send some pics and maybe add the odd review over the coming months. After having a couple of punctures whilst on a Euro trip (and waiting several hours for a fix) it will hopefully ease my mind on future adventures...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just curious, how do the new, smaller wheels impact handling & cornering?
Had to do a double take at that pic, I thought it was mine for a moment, same wheels, shock and exhaust system.
In answer to your question, more focused steering (goes where you point it), turns in more quickly with less effort on countersteer and so far I haven't managed to push the front end, can still get the rear to step a bit but not as often as with the OE.
Feels more planted in the wet.
Did a couple of easy green lanes and really couldn't tell the wheels were smaller.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
After some consideration and the decision that I will stick with my 2018 ATAS and not swap for the 2020 one (for various reasons), I ordered the Bartubless full Wheel set. Thus, my one and only safety concern with my bike will be resolved. Can't wait to receive them. :smile2:

·
Registered
72 Posts
After some consideration and the decision that I will stick with my 2018 ATAS and not swap for the 2020 one (for various reasons), I ordered the Bartubless full Wheel set. Thus, my one and only safety concern with my bike will be resolved. Can't wait to receive them. :smile2:
Pictures and feedback please. Also, let us know what tires you go with. Thx.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think I’ll keep my 2016 as well. Looks ti be the best of all Worlds. New Adv Sport may be too big while the sport version seems inadequate for touring. Anyway my question is what was reason you chose Bartubless? (As you seem very knowledgeble on the subject)

·
Registered
7 Posts
My experience was with Alaina was good for 2 years Now ordered new version of Alpina FORGED model 2 STS seals with less movement as the central mass THICKNESS HAS increased to Stabilise the SPOKE END .HOPE THIS WILL IMPROVISE sealing mechanism, HOW EVER I GO FOR 36 POTENTIAL LEAKAGES , ONE LAST OPTION "". THIS NEW WHEEL CAN BE OUTEXED VERY EASILY IN CASE OF ANY LEAKAGES DUE TO INTERNAL FLAT SURFACE """

41 - 60 of 74 Posts