Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Have had my Outex conversion for about 8 months with no appreciable air loss, so pretty pleased so far.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Pictures and feedback please. Also, let us know what tires you go with. Thx.
I will use them with the Scorpion Trail 2

I think I’ll keep my 2016 as well. Looks ti be the best of all Worlds. New Adv Sport may be too big while the sport version seems inadequate for touring. Anyway my question is what was reason you chose Bartubless? (As you seem very knowledgeble on the subject)
I choose bartubless for the following reasons

1. Vs. OUTEX : The Outex application success is highly depended on the skills of the person that would do the job. Also, the OEM front rim does not have the antibead lip. I do not trust this approach.

2. Vs. Alpina : each nipple has its own o-ring....to an engineer (that I am) this means 36 potential leak points. I rejected them even before checking the price tag, which is way too high anyway..

3. Vs. KINEO : best solution by far, but, way way too expensive

The Bartubless, in my opinion is a superior solution even vs. OEM approaches like the KTM one. Also, they use EXCEL rims which are among the best worldwide. They are repairable with their kit and the cost is rather affordable.

Having received them alright, I can tell that the quality is SUPERB!!! so are their services.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks a lot. Which version did you go for? As i am not en engineer it is not straight fwd for me to see the costs vs benefits what they offer on their site. So that’s why I am asking.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Thanks a lot. Which version did you go for? As i am not en engineer it is not straight fwd for me to see the costs vs benefits what they offer on their site. So that’s why I am asking.
Bartubless offers the following services:

1. you ship them you wheels and they process the back one to apply the polymer. On the front one, they change the rim with one that has the hump to prevent tire extraction in case of a flat, and they use your hub and spokes. This is the less costly solution

2. You buy a full set of new wheels, available at a variety of colours. Those are ready to install wheels. If you want you buy also for extra cash the cushdrive.

I chose option 2, because I want to keep my OEM wheels in case something goes wrong at any given time in the future.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Bartubless offers the following services:

1. you ship them you wheels and they process the back one to apply the polymer. On the front one, they change the rim with one that has the hump to prevent tire extraction in case of a flat, and they use your hub and spokes. This is the less costly solution

2. You buy a full set of new wheels, available at a variety of colours. Those are ready to install wheels. If you want you buy also for extra cash the cushdrive.

I chose option 2, because I want to keep my OEM wheels in case something goes wrong at any given time in the future.
Petros, are you happy with the new set of wheels? Have you also ordered the cush drive?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all. In the UK at least there is another version: Airtight from CWC. Google it.
Like BART (which I tried early on on a 500X - leaked slowly) but a vulcanised rubber band.
Flexes better with the wheel I like to think.
Tried it in the desert on a Himalayan earlier this year with no probs (with Slime).
May get it done to the back of an AT I might shortly buy.

With all this TL converting, DIY or others, TPMS is a very good idea (it is anyway, imo).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Pardon me if I missed this on the website, but has anyone considering tubeless tires tried to purchase the 2020 HONDA OEM tubeless rims and install them on a 2018-2019 ATAS?

I'm curious about their cost, if they are a simple swap over, etc.

Here in the USA, it seems the 2020 rims are not available. The dealer cannot even find them on their parts fiche.

Thanks, Bob

·
Read Only
20 Posts
I have had a leak on my Alpina wheels recently, they are over three years old, the UK importer arranged for my wheels to be sent back to Italy, the nipples and seals have been modified and even though out of warranty Alpina are repairing FOC. The new generation Alpina wheels use forged rims and a twin seal system, pricing up a new set for the immanent arrival of my 2020 standard AT the cost is currently £1700! Once my wheels are back I'll see how different the 2020 stock wheels are.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I am coming back on this since I have installed the wheels a month or more back, and I have put some 1000 kms on them.

The quality of the wheels is superb, the looks is a killer in my opinion (much more distinctive gold colour than the OEM) and the workmanship is very high level. Both wheels keep their air pressure; I have seen not even a psi drop.

Overly, I am extremely happy with this purchase.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Really want to see what they look like as well as how you think handling changed with the new wheels.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Be careful, I went from OEM black to SM Pro Gold thinking they looked good.
Found that I am now cleaning loads more as the gold rims don't look good mucky whereas the black ones didn't show.
Mind you when they are clean and along with a gold chain and sprocket look, in my mind, really nice.
What am I like? - don't answer that!
Z
any reviews on the SM Pro?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi. I've just purchased the BARTLESS system with new wheels from SM PRO (I've gone for all black wheels, hubs and spokes). They are getting fitted to the bike tomorrow so Ill send some pics and maybe add the odd review over the coming months. After having a couple of punctures whilst on a Euro trip (and waiting several hours for a fix) it will hopefully ease my mind on future adventures...
any reviews?

·
Registered
54 Posts
After some consideration and the decision that I will stick with my 2018 ATAS and not swap for the 2020 one (for various reasons), I ordered the Bartubless full Wheel set. Thus, my one and only safety concern with my bike will be resolved. Can't wait to receive them. :smile2:
any review on the bartubeless?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am coming back on this since I have installed the wheels a month or more back, and I have put some 1000 kms on them.

The quality of the wheels is superb, the looks is a killer in my opinion (much more distinctive gold colour than the OEM) and the workmanship is very high level. Both wheels keep their air pressure; I have seen not even a psi drop.

Overly, I am extremely happy with this purchase.
any reviews now?

·
Registered
344 Posts
My Alpinas will have been fitted 3 years come March 21, no air loss yet. Elastomer seals can last many years, as we see from industrial applications that have a harder life than wheel nipples. The Alpinas also look lovely and you have a good choice of colours.
However some people just dont like the idea of all those O rings. As a mechanical engineer I have to say positioning the spokes external to the air space is a far better engineered wheel.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts