Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang,
Well, we've had our '18 AT/AS DCT now for exactly one week. At present, I've got a whopping 60 miles on it, YAHOOOO! But, while I truly love the way it rides, smooth, quiet and like a dream, I think it has this slight ANEMIC look, due to those factory tires. Yes, they work, and do what they're supposed to. But, I'm thinking that someday, who knows how soon, I'm gonna think about a bit more aggressive set of tires.
The dealer showed me some really big lug tires when we were processing out and, I didn't and don't want something THAT aggressive. Anyway, just so I have some sort of future reference, may I ask, what some of you are using, how do you like them, did the change from factory smooth street tires to some form of knobby's induce none, some or a lot of vibration? I did take a look at a used one that had some knobbies on it and, all me and the salesperson could say was WOW, what a terrible wear pattern! Talk about an un-even wear of the knobs, man, that was ugggggly! Anyway, who's running what and what's your breakdown of riding for the tire change, mostly dirt, mostly street, 50/50, what?
Scott

·
Registered
504 Posts
Continental TKC70 perfect all around tire 60%street 40% dirt , TKC80 big knobs excellent for dirt 50/50 , continental trail attack 3 perfect for street all weather tire 80% street 20% dirt roads. Lots of different makes of tires to choose from, continental makes some of the best. ??

·
Registered
295 Posts
I ride 50/50. My favorite tire is the Metzeler Karoo 3s. I've put them on every ADV bike I've owned. Excellent off-road for all but the nastiest mud, but not tire is great in mud. But great for everything that Colorado (Where I live and ride) has to throw at it. On-road they are also excellent. Great handling manners and excellent on wet roads. The front tire makes some road noise, but nothing annoying or overly loud, you just hear it. The only downside is they don't last long. I get about 3k - 3.5k per set. I don't mind as they are completely confidence inspiring on any surface. Now I tend to ride at 26 psi all the time. I don't air up or don't. They'd probably last a bit longer if I did.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I put on a set of Bridgestone AX41 . They are quite aggressive, but no vibration and only get a little loud between 60 and 65. Have done very well in the dirt and rocks of AZ and very nice on the pavement.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Gang,
As usual, ask a question on here, and be ready to learn a lot! I most certainly appreciate all your help and expertise in my future tire search. As stated, I think the factory tires are bit on the lean side for aggression but, I'm no tire expert and maybe their very good for multiple situations/riding scenarios. For now, since the bike is BRAND NEW, I'm gonna put some miles on them 'till I feel it's time for a change. I've got all this info you nice folks have supplied so, I'll just keep watching and learning. Man I love this bike!
Scott

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts
That's all good Scott.

Mine came with Dunlop Trailmax, which are dismal. I wish Trailmax Missions were available at the time. Anyway, I had the dealer swap them out before I took ownership. No point jeopardizing safety.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I ride on road only have used Scorpion Trail 2 which were great in both wet and dry roads Got about 6k miles out of them .... just changed them to Metzler Karoo streets .. so far these seem great as well ... no notable noise difference and grip in wet and dry both good

·
Registered
3 Posts
Depends what your doing on it? I ride 80 % road and chose
Michelin adv tyres due to dual compound rubber. Good in wet condition on rd. would defo suck in mud or sand. Easy enough to fit .

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well gang,
OP here. I guess just like any automobile/truck/trailer and more, there appears to be quite a few different types and styles of tires and selection for the AT. At present, I'm kind-a embarrassed that I don't even know what make tires I got on the new '18 AT/AS DCT are. I do know that, based on their looks, I'd be a bit skeptical about running in some of the more serious off road trails/washes/soft sand and things like that with them. I'm an old knobby kind-a guy.
Scott

·
Registered
2017 DCT
342 Posts
I enjoyed the stock Dunlops for abut 1200 miles on mostly streets, as I got to know the bike a little. First few times I went in to dirt roads, trails, I noticed their failings quickly.

Had a Shinko 805 put on back, and a 705 on front through an interesting chain of events at the dealer.

So far, the 805 is great; maybe should have gone a little more aggressive than the 705 on front. Both are reasonably quiet for knobbies; the 805 has an interesting band at about 2/3rds leanover that can give you cause to reflect on traction in a curve, but overall fairly impressive and a great value.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts