Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do, one and all....!

I've a 2019 Adventure Sport (UK model) and twice now the battery has let me down by not having enough charge to start the engine, luckily (both times) this happened whilst at home in the garage.
My concern is that I'm planning a solo trip across Europe and into Russia once the Covid restrictions have been relaxed and will be travelling on some pretty remote roads, what do I do if the battery goes flat "out-in-the-wilds" ?

Considering lithium iron phosphate batteries shouldn't be jump started.

My thoughts;

1. Buy a spare battery, fully charge it (somehow) and carry it in the luggage + tools to swap out.
2. Design a "split charge system" to keep a spare battery continously topped up.
3. Fit a standard Lead/Acid battery that can be jump started. (is this possible, will it damage the bikes electrics)

Any suggestions or advice would be great
Thanks
Ian

·
Super Moderator
7,216 Posts
Anything drawing down the battery while the bike is parked and idle?

The most sure way is to measure the current draw at the battery (no key in the ignition). If, for example, the draw is 100 mA, that could be one explanation for "battery let down". That is, a parasitic load is drawing down the battery. It could be an electronic accessory, a weak short somewhere. Nevertheless, it might be worthwhile to quickly check that. Maybe the battery is actually okay.

= = =

Example case:

Spouse bought a cage and the battery would be weak after two weeks of being idle. The battery was replaced, but it happened again when the car sat idle for about two weeks. I found a parasitic optional accessory that was drawing 250 mA from the battery. I removed the accessory and the battery was fine forever more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anything drawing down the battery while the bike is parked and idle?

The most sure way is to measure the current draw at the battery (no key in the ignition). If, for example, the draw is 100 mA, that could be one explanation for "battery let down". That is, a parasitic load is drawing down the battery. It could be an electronic accessory, a weak short somewhere. Nevertheless, it might be worthwhile to quickly check that. Maybe the battery is actually okay.

= = =

Example case:

Spouse bought a cage and the battery would be weak after two weeks of being idle. The battery was replaced, but it happened again when the car sat idle for about two weeks. I found a parasitic optional accessory that was drawing 250 mA from the battery. I removed the accessory and the battery was fine forever more.
Thanks for the advice and you've made a good point, I will check and take some measurments.
In the industry I work in, we try to design in "dual-redundancy" where critical pieces of equipment will have a hot spare on standby. The idea of a second fully charged battery on-board would give a huge piece of mind when travelling alone, miles from civilization.
I will investigate further and post what I find.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Did you have the complimentary tracker fitted as that does flatten my lithium ion battery within about 10 days.
I've got the same problem. My bike has been laid up for a few weeks. I went to start it yesterday and it's dead. I've tried the 24 hours recharge with the Optimate but it can't recover it. I guess I'm looking at buying a new battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts