Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

First a little about myself. I am new to this forum and am not an active member of any other AT forum. I just bought my AT about a month ago so I'm real new to this scene. I grew up riding dirt (started when I was <4yo) and got into riding street about two years ago. I am a professional systems administrator/engineer.

Now to preface my question, the AT (at least 2018) is throttle by wire. I feel like it's a pretty smart machine, not letting me downshift into certain gears until I am under certain speeds (I have a manual and sometimes the gear I am trying to reach is unavailable), traction control seems to limit the throttle input depending on how it feels about wheel spin, ABS, etc. Knowing there is a computer between me and my throttle has me wondering.

Has anyone tried to get into the ECU to see if it is possible to add a primitive or "homebrew" traction control? The ECU should have all of the IO that you need to do this, and already takes advantage of this IO in certain ways so It's kind of confusing why it's not already there unless... there is some complication that makes it unintuitive enough to become a liability, or... who know?

If the built-in ECU can't handle the task because of memory limitations or something like that I wonder if you can't put a secondary ECU specifically for cruise control between it and the primary.

So, has anyone heard of this before, does anyone know if anyone is working on this or looking into this or has any technical information regarding the lack of cruise control for the AT?

Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am watching with interest, but I'm also keeping in mind the potential downside to hacking an automotive system that is so intimately related to your own personal safety. I remember Denso (arguably the most accomplished automotive electronics supplier on the planet) once telling me that they were very happy not to be riding the bleeding edge. If Apple messes up, your iPhone reboots, but if we mess up, somebody dies, was more or less how they put it. Makes you think.

Softly, softly, I guess.

Dan

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I think the Aussie guys at MCC have built an electronic cruise control for the ridebywire models. Sure I saw a thread in that if you do a search

·
Registered
465 Posts
Pre 2018 AT's dont have ride by wire throttle they have a cable operated throttle so need a separate actuator to control the throttle thats why the difference in price.
Ah, okay.

Well, no way I'm dropping $1K+ when a simple $15 throttle lock will do. Yeah, I know they're not the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am watching with interest, but I'm also keeping in mind the potential downside to hacking an automotive system that is so intimately related to your own personal safety. I remember Denso (arguably the most accomplished automotive electronics supplier on the planet) once telling me that they were very happy not to be riding the bleeding edge. If Apple messes up, your iPhone reboots, but if we mess up, somebody dies, was more or less how they put it. Makes you think.

Softly, softly, I guess.

Dan
Absolutely. I code for a living and I ride so I understand the nature and dangers of each on their own... I could see wanting to switch on the cruise control but then spending the whole rest of the trip running through the logic to make sure it's not going to go max throttle out of nowhere under some very specific condition. Sorta gives me pre-ptsd thinking about it.

Mike is right. McCruise page here:
Thank you, this is just about exactly what I was looking for. After seeing that installed on an AT and seeing it work, I can't imagine doing a better job myself without dedicating way too much time to it. It's expensive and has a lot of hardware so now I'm kinda thinking my wrist can handle the cruise control for now, hah.

Well, no way I'm dropping $1K+ when a simple $15 throttle lock will do. Yeah, I know they're not the same.
Yeah, basically this.

Thanks for the quick replies, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I have tried lots of cheap mechanical throttle/cruise controls over the years, and have ended up with the Kaoko (they call it a throttle stabiliser). It's a lot more expensive than the wrist-rest types but it's a carefully thought out piece of engineering.
I am also impressed at their customer service. When I found that the one I'd bought for my last AT fitted with Koso heated grips didn't fit the new AT with OEM heated grips, both Kaoko in South Africa and R&G in the UK have been communicating with me and a necessary spacer washer is on its way.
Three big advantages of the Kaoko over the other simpler types of devices that I used are:
1. Much easier to change the constant speed you want to ride at especially if you are wearing thick gloves
2. No danger of catching any extension with my wrist under heavy braking (did that once and came off at a roundabout on a Versys)
3. By setting it so you have in effect a non-springloaded throttle, you can make slow travel along bumpy roads a much less jerky affair (just don't hold the throttle tightly)

I looked at the MCC electronic kit but it is very expensive and looked way beyond my capabilities to fit. Any mechanical device of course cannot achieve the exact speed regulation that the MCC affords, but I find that just simply being able to relax my grip on the throttle or take it off completely even for 30 seconds or so, provides enough relief on long journeys

Here's a link to the manufacturer's site https://uk.kaoko.com/
Mike

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have McCruise, very happy with it. Install was not difficult, it came with very good instructions. Install took about 2 working days for me. Pricy, but I don't regret.

For cheaper alternative (~300$) it's possible to install also universal Rostra cruise control, but that requires more skills. I did that on my ex R 1200 GS. Google on advrider.com Also Rostra is way better than any mechanical throttle lock, but I couldn't get it working as smooth as McCruise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In contacting MC Cruise with the same question, their reply was that since the 16-17 ST does not have ride-by-wire they developed a hybrid that uses both electronics and an automotive vacuum. If anyone knows more about this feel free to explain in more detail. Most likely I will eventually add this to my bike, but I have a few other priorities first like crash protection and proper bags. The OEM bags leave a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
148 Posts
In contacting MC Cruise with the same question, their reply was that since the 16-17 ST does not have ride-by-wire they developed a hybrid that uses both electronics and an automotive vacuum. If anyone knows more about this feel free to explain in more detail. Most likely I will eventually add this to my bike, but I have a few other priorities first like crash protection and proper bags. The OEM bags leave a lot to be desired.
McCruise for 16-17 CRF1000L uses electric servo and works just as fine and smooth as OEM cruises of other bikes/cars. Also Rostra 250-1223 is with electric servo, but I didn't suucced to adjust it working as smooth (on R1200GS) as McCruise on CRF1000L.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts