Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Thinking of making myself a tool tube like many of you have. However, I don’t have panniers or pannier racks and don’t plan on getting any. I’ve got the top box and a big waterproof bag for the rear seat and works for me.
But a tool tube would be kinda cool for longer trips and tours. I thought about putting it under the top box rack but it would block the tail light. I thought about just attaching to the rear passenger handle bars but thought it would look great if it used the pannier slots. Any of you with the Honda boxes or other racks that use the oem slots have pictures of what the piece that goes in the slot looks like? Is it just a metal plate, does it click in or tie up in any way? If any of you could maybe measure the inserts too would be amazing.
Thanks a lot,
VT

·
Registered
191 Posts
The inserts used by all the racks and the OEM setup are little pillars that just sit in the slots. The forward most slot uses a thicker pillar than the rear most slot. Put a ruler in the slot and then put one over it for your dimensions.

Cut a piece of angled flat metal and slip thin rubber around it and pop it in.

Now, the slots are just a brace. Most of the locking and support actually comes from the passenger footpegs. You will either have to wrap someyhing underneath the fender or drop a support down to the footpeg.

I was like you. I had a top box and a waterproof duffel for the pillion with some rok straps.

I now have side bags. Life is so much better.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The inserts used by all the racks and the OEM setup are little pillars that just sit in the slots. The forward most slot uses a thicker pillar than the rear most slot. Put a ruler in the slot and then put one over it for your dimensions.

Cut a piece of angled flat metal and slip thin rubber around it and pop it in.

Now, the slots are just a brace. Most of the locking and support actually comes from the passenger footpegs. You will either have to wrap someyhing underneath the fender or drop a support down to the footpeg.

I was like you. I had a top box and a waterproof duffel for the pillion with some rok straps.

I now have side bags. Life is so much better.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the great reply Tequila, much appreciated

1 - 3 of 3 Posts