Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bumped into Jeremy LeBreton from AltRider at an ADV rally in southern California this weekend. I asked him about delivery dates for the AltRider crash bars for the AT. He started by apologizing for the delay - it seems that both the engineering as well as the manufacturing process were tougher than planned. He said (as others here have confirmed) lower bars have started to ship already. The Upper Bars should ship next month (May) and the Reinforcement (tie) bars should ship in June.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I bumped into Jeremy LeBreton from AltRider at an ADV rally in southern California this weekend. I asked him about delivery dates for the AltRider crash bars for the AT. He started by apologizing for the delay - it seems that both the engineering as well as the manufacturing process were tougher than planned. He said (as others here have confirmed) lower bars have started to ship already. The Upper Bars should ship next month (May) and the Reinforcement (tie) bars should ship in June.
Oh really? I think not! Because, Amazon says this about my order:

Expected delivery: Friday, April 14, 2017 - Wednesday, April 26, 2017 by 8 PM

and also,

Usually ships within 2 to 4 weeks.

(per http://a.co/3AVnhZm)

Joking, of course. Amazon is bordering on dishonesty.

Reactions: TMac99

·
Registered
61 Posts
So... just to tweak Amazon, I asked if my delivery will really be by April 26. I was surprised by their reply:

Hello,

I've reviewed your comments and I certainly understand your concern in this regard. We certainly don't want our customer to face any inconvenience.

I understand that how disappointing this must be for you when something like this happens. Please accept my sincere apologies.

I've forwarded this information to our shipping department so that they can make sure that this kind of experience to you can be avoided for your future orders.

To make things easy for you, Upon checking your order page I see that, We expect to ship your order in time to be delivered by Tuesday, April 25, 2017
also I've checked and see that the item Usually ships in 2 to 4 weeks .

Also, I've upgraded the shipping method to one-day shipping with no extra cost so that when your item ships out for delivery it will be deliver to you at the earliest.

We will send an e-mail when your order is shipped so you can track your package. You can also sign up for text message alerts. For more information, go to:

(link)

You can check the most up-to-date status of your order in Your Account, here:

(link)

Rest assured,your order will get delivered by Tuesday as per scheduled.

Anyone want to take bets?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yeah they are. I get they don't want to release something thats going to be sub-par, but these delays are going to hurt them in the AT market. When I first talked to them when I got my AT in Feb. They said early April. But I couldn't wait as I had some off-road activities planned. I went with the Touratechs. I thought I might buy the Altriders when they became available and sell my touratechs as some of the accessories aren't touratech compatible. But if its July, its not happening this year!

Wow......July!!!!!!
Not cool as I've been waiting for these as they look really good.
They are going to loose a bunch of business.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think there are a few considerations;

The biggest one in my mind is the "inability" to mix and match aftermarket parts without modification. As an example I opted for the touratech bars. I asked Altrider if there skidplate would work with the touratechs. Their answer was "no" and further only their parts are compatible with their parts.

I had a firsthand encounter with this in regard to using the Touratech lower crashbars, bought the Altrider rear brake extender with "riser". The riser almost comes into contact with the Touratech lower crash bars and 90% of it is covered by the lower crashbars, effectively making the riser useless.

I've seen this in other threads where someone went with a "Brand X" skid plate and had to modify it so it worked with their Brand Y lower crashbars.

So my advice is to pick something that you like the "line" of products as you may be stuck using that entire line OR having to modify parts if you mix and match.

I went with the Touratechs as they historically have a good record. Altrider's marketing is directly aied at Touratech and what Altrider claims makes sense. Thats typically why I've alway used Altrider. But I had an ADV class planned and even the class recommends proper riding gear and protection of your motorcycle as you WILL drop you bike... Not to mention between now and July there is ALOT of off-road riding be done!

So what's the best alternative to Altrider? I don't think I can risk by bike waiting either as much as I'd like to.

·
Registered
61 Posts
So, I called Amazon Monday because my order did not indicate shipped. Service Rep had no idea what was wrong, and promised to investigate. I suggested they change the false and misleading "usually ships in 2-4 weeks" statement.

Yesterday I got an updated estimate of "Thursday, May 11, 2017 - Friday, May 19, 2017". Ha. The misleading estimate still remains.

I also ordered the luggage rack + pillion luggage rack, and it too did not arrive. The updated estimate for that is Thursday, May 11, 2017 - Tuesday, May 23, 2017.

My last bikes were aging models; the latest was a KLR 650. They had oodles and oodles of accessories. This is my first experience with a brand new model. Is it common for vendors to sell vapor products so casually? This experience is mystifying to me; how is this acceptable?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I received an e-mail from AltRider today. I had asked if they had a full set of the crash bars I could buy and display on my bike that is in a contest at the Overland West Expo coming up in a couple of weeks. They advised that the uppers were approved for production and will start shipping this month, the support bars will follow in June, and the lowers are already out there. Was hoping to score a set to the Expo but no luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts