Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the install of these crash bars I have put on some considerable mileage on and off road. I took some hot weather down time to check torque setting on most of the bolts on my 2017 Twin and was pleased to say all bolts held to spec on the AltRider bars, Skid plate and rear rack. I have been very happy with the bars and lost count how many times they have saved the DCT and case from potential damage. In my opinion they are a quality product. scratches and gouges are part of the history but not having a powder coating they do not show. Any one else sporting a set of AltRider products?

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've got the lower bars. They are very heavy but I do like the look (I got the red ones as I have a red 2017). I have crash tested them and they really work. They are incredibly beefy - borderline too much (due to weight).

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the full set on my 17 DCT. They have done well on a few drops on difficult terrain. I do seem to have a nasty vibration at about 4200 rpm and I think it is the bars. I plan to cut up an inner tube and put rubber between the mounts. I have a couple more products from them and am very happy with everything.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have the full set on my 17 DCT. They have done well on a few drops on difficult terrain. I do seem to have a nasty vibration at about 4200 rpm and I think it is the bars. I plan to cut up an inner tube and put rubber between the mounts. I have a couple more products from them and am very happy with everything.
Same bars here, same vibration, same inner tube sandwiched between the mount points. Didn't help. I just got used to it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I was at an Adventure Rider Training this past summer, and there were 2 BMWs that had the Altrider bars. Both of them had bars that cracked from vibration. While the Heed bars I run have the disadvantage of being a bit more difficult to access fairing removal, the fact that they are a two-piece clam shell with each half anchored to frame and hard points on their respective sides, there is no vibration.

·
Super Moderator
1,536 Posts
My wife had a set of AltRider bars on an F800GS that would vibrate like that. The right site eventually vibrated itself apart. Keep an eye on it!

I was at an Adventure Rider Training this past summer, and there were 2 BMWs that had the Altrider bars. Both of them had bars that cracked from vibration. While the Heed bars I run have the disadvantage of being a bit more difficult to access fairing removal, the fact that they are a two-piece clam shell with each half anchored to frame and hard points on their respective sides, there is no vibration.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My '18 came with full Altrider crash bars. I sold the mids and uppers. My bike vibrations which seemed contrary to the reviews of the bike stating how smooth the engine was. I tracked the cause of the vibration down to the Altrider bars. I solved the problem by sandwiching large rubber washers between the mounting plates (screws through the washers) and then also placing the same style rubber washers under large fender washers under the screw head. So each screw location requires two 1/8" thick rubber washers.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I also have them and so far no vibrations or any other complaints.
Seem extremely tough and I have no qualms about dropping the bike off road.

They do make working on the bike more complicated such as air filter checks, but not overly

Am looking to get the matching skid plate after taking some rather shocking underside hits on my last tour in Sardinia, Italy.
One of them hit the headers and put some nice dents into it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I like mine and have not noticed any vibrations. I have the uncoated ones and they have taken some hits. Apparently the scratches therefrom removed the passivation because I now get a fair amount of surface rust. I have an excellent corrosion remover that restores the finish without too much work but the rust always comes back a few months later.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If these bars generate vibrations you may want to reseat the tie bars and check torque. Over torqued items may be the reason as well. I have gotten into a routine of torque specs on all items as I tend to be a tad forceful with aluminum bolts. Jeremy at AltRider may also have a few suggestions.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yep...
they work. Paint is total **** though. Paper thin.
Getting them powder coated over winter.
The below was a high side on my part, and a hard hit on the bike's part.
Broke the left turn signal. I had to pull the bars back a bit with the help of my truck hitch.

·
Registered
28 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts