Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I’m considering getting an AltRider pillion plate for my 2018 AT. If I did, I would prefer to just leave it on the bike in place of the pillion seat the majority of the time. Do I need to be concerned with moisture/rain effecting the electrics under the pillion? Does it need to be sealed with with weather stripping or something similar? TIA.

·
Registered
129 Posts
A good question for those at AltRider as well. They are always looking to improve their product and think of ways to make a better product. Who knows, they may use you as a test pilot.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Its something I have on my wish list and Im not going to worry for a moment about water getting underneath.

firstly the top surface is solid. so water cannot get through the top. that seems obvious to me. secondly.. if I were to find water under it, that had entered around the edges and you can bet i will keep any eye on it. then it will be a simple matter to protect anything that might get wet.. by treating it with ACF... in fact before fitting the entire area will be treated with ACF. And if there is further cause for concern then i will deal with that when it happens.

If this were a bad design then.. as with anything bad. the people who have been stung will be screaming from the rafters. It would be known. There are some comments about water getting in on other bikes.. KTMs and so on. and there the owners found a solution. Obviously its easier to find a solution when you know exactly whats going wrong rather than in advance when you haven't even seen it in the metal. or fitted to a bike and can examine it carefully.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Doesn't answer your question, but I went with the B&B Offroad luggage plates as they create a flush surface across both the rear plate and the pillion plate. The pillion plate also sits above the pillion seat, so no worries about additional water intrusion as you just leave the pillion seat in place. Just a different option to consider if you're worried about the AltRider and don't get a solid answer to your question.

·
Registered
437 Posts
A little later.. but, i have added the plate.

Went on nice and easy.. very simple. and with all fixings supplied, I'm left with just 1 original bolt.. that is replaced with a longer one. Fixings themselves are a very nice quality stainless. The Pillion plate itself is very solid, all edges have been chamfered so no risk of bungees or straps being worn/cut.

Im happy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts