Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Altrider called me to let me know that a similar issue was reported several years ago and they modified the design to give more clearance to the stator cover. So, it appears this issue may just apply to the first version of the skid plate. They were very accommodating and willing to make this right.

I wanted to put out a PSA regarding the popular AltRider skid plate for the CRF1000. Rather than protect my bike, it caused some pretty serious damage that almost left me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

I'll begin by saying I like AltRider products. Their crash bars are superb and the skid plate is also good, except for this one design flaw—the edges are sharp!

I was out riding far from civilization on a challenging trail and, as happens, smacked a rock with the skid plate. The plate deflected (elastically for the other mechanical engineers out there) up into my stator cover. The edges are so sharp, they actually sliced through the cover and my AT started leaking oil like a Harley. Luckily, I was able to nurse it back home before it seriously ran low on oil. But, I had to replace the stator cover to the tune of $150. We all know the stator cover is the weak point on the AT and I wanted the skid plate to protect it, rather than be the instrument of its destruction.

so two things.

1- highly recommend removing your skid plate and breaking all the edges with a grinder. The thing was so sharp, it actually sliced through the sanding drum on my die grinder.

after photo

2-AltRider, if you're listening, please fix this in your design. Yes, I know it will add some manufacturing cost, but your product quality and value will be greatly improved.

Stay safe out there!

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
748 Posts
Hey Crud. Thanks for the heads up. Get a tube of liquid steel to seal these kinds of problems if you ride off-road a lot. Just a couple of ounces of weight.

Reactions: Crud17

·
Registered
2020 Honda Africa Twin Standard
96 Posts
I’m not impressed with Altrider stuff. I thought the stuff was the best and got the skid plate, the fit was horrible and frustrating! Even though I haven’t had the issue you had I have read about it before, going to make the mods, thanks. It a shame something sooo expensive doesn’t work right. Glad I didn’t by more Altrider overpriced stuff, waited 6 months for crash bars and finally gave up on them and got Touratech.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Saw on the new member thread you're in CO. Whereabouts? I'm in Denver more or less.
Hey Crud! I am Thornton but ride all over, from Switzerland Pass to Goose Creek area to Rampart Range to Stillwater. And those are just my day rides! 😊

If you’re ever interested in hooking up, just shoot me a note and we can figure something out. Ride safe!

Bookem

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Crud! I am Thornton but ride all over, from Switzerland Pass to Goose Creek area to Rampart Range to Stillwater. And those are just my day rides! 😊

If you’re ever interested in hooking up, just shoot me a note and we can figure something out. Ride safe!

Bookem
Excellent! I’m in the west end of Denver, so pretty close to T-town. I’ll shoot you a lone once I get her back together. Replacing the clutch at the moment.

·
Registered
266 Posts
For what it is worth, the OEM 2018 Adventure Sport skid plate does the same thing. I sent out the warning on that in 2018 when a fellow I was riding with had the same thing happen. Sliced it just slicker that you can imagine, and then sprung back down. After researching the forum I followed Graves advice and got a SWM unit, and then made a cut to accommodate my Heed crash bars. Another thing not to worry about.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I deal with a lot of cnc laser manufacturing.
When done well, the cut corners can be quite sharp. It is not unheard of to injure ones fingers when handling the metal. This is particularly prevalent in stainless steel, but still quite possible with mild steel or aluminium. (have less experience with the latter)

This is not restricted to the under side of the cut either (that some slagged edge, too small to see, creates a serrated blade by chance), it can also be on the top side of the cuts.
These lasers are just so **** accurate!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts