Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has purchased one of the aluminum side stand enlargers from eBay? I ordered one and will report back when it arrives.

It's quite obviously a knockoff of the SW-Motech part but at $15.90 USD shipped compared to $64.95 I figured it was worth a try. I'd love to hear if anyone has one and what you think of it, did I just toss $15.90 in the bin?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Heck - for 16 bucks, I just ordered one too.
It said: Estimated delivery: By Fri, Aug 18
We'll see! I will post a follow up after I get it.
jays0n - thanks for the tip!

·
Administrator
3,419 Posts
I will be curious to see what you all think of them. My cautious side says no way do you put a $16 side stand enlarger on a $16,000 bike, especially when there doesn't seem to be any reviews, but it seems a few of you will soon have a clearer picture. Maybe they don't need to be that expensive?

I had a Black Dog Cycle Works one on my KTM 1190, it was rock solid, but it wasn't cheap at $55. Unfortunately they also don't make them for the Africa Twin.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a good point but I figure what if the side stand enlarger fails? Nothing really happens, seems like a fairly safe risk to take. From what I can see it's a pretty good copy of the SW part. Apparently mine shipped yesterday so hoping to see it next week. I'll take some pics and report back here after I get it installed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes i bought one. It was delivered after about 5 weeks. The allan key they supplied to tighten the screws did not fit. However i managed to fit the part after getting the right size key. It was a bit of a loose fit but has stayed on the bike so far. An interesting point is that on the customs declaration on the packaging the value is put at $3 us dollars. So imho the european companies are ripping us off. £40 for a small piece of metal eh? So to sum up, its not perfect but it does the job, a bit like my misses really. cheers.

·
Administrator
3,419 Posts
That's a good point but I figure what if the side stand enlarger fails? Nothing really happens, seems like a fairly safe risk to take. From what I can see it's a pretty good copy of the SW part. Apparently mine shipped yesterday so hoping to see it next week. I'll take some pics and report back here after I get it installed.

On hard surfaces, it likely wont matter, on mud, rocks, gravel of otherwise, uneven or infirm surfaces it could. I have used mine in a couple of situations, where had it failed, the bike would be on its side.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine is "out for delivery" so I plan on fitting it tonight and grabbing a few photos. To Dewsieboy's issues with it I think I can dig up the correct allen key if they included the wrong one and have an idea how to shim it if the fit is loose at all. More to come later tonight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I give this a 9 out of 10 rating.
5 Days later and the Enlarger just showed up! For $16 I am impressed.
It actually shipped from City of Industry, CA, via USPS, well packaged in bubble wrap.
Looks to me like a direct knock-off of the SW-Motech - though I do not have an original to compare. I find it hard to believe the SWM is worth 3x as much.
As Drewsieboy pointed out - it came with the wrong size Allen key - you need a 2.5mm, and it is (very) slightly loose on the peg.

However it is nicely machined, very solid, and there is no way it is going to fall off - thus my 9 of 10 rating.
So - A strong buy recommendation from me.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Saved me some work, looks like yours beat mine, funny that we ordered the same day and Seattle is a lot closer to CA :) Glad it worked out well. I'm going to try to shim it so it's not loose, does it rattle at all?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good question - I had to run out and test it...

Yes - I can rattle it with my hand, but you can not hear it with the engine running.
I agree, I will either shim it on the top clamp, or bend the top clamp down a bit with a "hammerfor".

Sorry. Dumb joke of the day: Has anyone seen my hammerfor? What's a hammerfor? Pounding nails and ****.

·
Registered
465 Posts
For those who have these installed could you report back in a couple months? Just wondering if they would loosen up like the Touratechs

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had Touratechs sidestand foot for a couple of months now. I wouldnt say its worth the money, but it works. I had to make it firmer with some rubber at the bottom and also add washers to the bolts. After that I have no problems with it.

But the construction is crap. It wouldnt be so hard to do something much better for that price.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I installed my knockoff version last night and with a piece of rubber roofing in the bottom section toward the back of the foot I get no rattling. I also used blue threadlock on the fasteners so hopefully it won't loosen up. Feels nice and solid and for the price IMHO is absolutely worth it. I'm quite certain I would have gone without one if paying for the SW-Motech or Touratech options were my only choice.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I give this a 9 out of 10 rating.
5 Days later and the Enlarger just showed up! For $16 I am impressed.
It actually shipped from City of Industry, CA, via USPS, well packaged in bubble wrap.
Looks to me like a direct knock-off of the SW-Motech - though I do not have an original to compare. I find it hard to believe the SWM is worth 3x as much.
As Drewsieboy pointed out - it came with the wrong size Allen key - you need a 2.5mm, and it is (very) slightly loose on the peg.

However it is nicely machined, very solid, and there is no way it is going to fall off - thus my 9 of 10 rating.
So - A strong buy recommendation from me.
I had put some double sided tape (very thin under the foot) on the bottom piece and it is very tight not loose at all and a great buy. I would give it 10 out of 10 for that reason plus all you have quoted above. Delivery time to AU was about 5 days from China.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Heartily recommend Rugged Roads stand enlarger. There is quite a lot of spring tension in the mount between the top and bottom plate (intentionally) and once fitted it doesn't budge. Others brands coming loose is probably down to poorer quality metal not being able to hold its tension, therefore not keeping it tight.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Personally, I'm eyeing the Givi SideStand Foot Enlarger. I like how it almost completely envelopes the foot.

I'm waiting on Labor Day to order one (hoping they'll offer some good discount by then). *Don't judge me cuz I like to penny pitch* LOL

·
Registered
990 Posts
It is expensive. I have it on mine. Fit perfectly and works - I've tested it in soft mud and mucky grass. Kept the bike up.

Personally, I'm eyeing the Givi SideStand Foot Enlarger. I like how it almost completely envelopes the foot.

I'm waiting on Labor Day to order one (hoping they'll offer some good discount by then). *Don't judge me cuz I like to penny pitch* LOL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts