Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here..I road hard desert moto for a decade, then street for a decade. Now I’m 54 and miss the dirt, so I compromised and got the awesome AT. Wondering what the average age is for this Adv type riding. I admit, things hurt, I had neck, spinal surgery last year, etc.. But I can’t give up my love for this stuff.
Talk to me 50+ year olds. Tell me you still kill it..
Thanks, and love the forum

·
Registered
125 Posts
I bought my AT a year ago at age 50 and already have over 12k miles on it. My riding partner is 56 and he just bought a brand new ktm 1290 super adventure and rides that thing off-road like he stole it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I feel better already..:) Need tires, the OEM ones suck on dirt..Recommendations.?
Well, I can't recommend them from direct experience yet but I went with the Metzeler Karoo 3's and will install them soon on my ATAS. I think they will be a good balance for both street and dirt riding for me. All of the research I did, and I did a boat load, indicates the tires are good and all of the AT's at the Honda Adventure Centre in Wales run them. Check out their gallery at the link below to see what kind of conditions they are riding them in and good luck in making your choice! There are certainly plenty of other good options out there along with a gazillion "which tires are best?" threads. The others I considered seriously were the Conti TKC80's.

https://hondaadventurecentre.com

I just got my ATAS @ 50 and I am looking forward to rolling up the miles on it both on and off road. I intend to do the Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route which is 1250 miles (10% paved) from the southern state line to the Canadian border.

https://ridebdr.com/IDBDR

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm 62, purchased my AT 3 months ago. Am still getting used to her but am loving every ride! If you're physically able to ride, go for it! Enjoy

·
Registered
130 Posts
Newbie here..I road hard desert moto for a decade, then street for a decade. Now I’m 54 and miss the dirt, so I compromised and got the awesome AT. Wondering what the average age is for this Adv type riding. I admit, things hurt, I had neck, spinal surgery last year, etc.. But I can’t give up my love for this stuff.
Talk to me 50+ year olds. Tell me you still kill it..
Thanks, and love the forum
At 54 you are probably smack dab in the middle of the average age.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I feel better already..:) Need tires, the OEM ones suck on dirt..Recommendations.?
64. riding 48 years.
TKC80s work well in all conditions including rock, mud, 2-track, single track, pavement. 6,600km for the rear, front still strong at 9,500km

Mitas E-10 on the rear now - similar to TKC but stiffer sidewall.
I always like a more aggressive front than rear. Think I'll try the Mitas C17 & E07 next

Chris Birch wrote https://www.facebook.com/ChrisBirchNZ/
What an epic seven days! KTM AUSTRALIA Rallye all the way from Darwin to Alice Springs, 3500 km. ... My Mitas Moto C17 and E07T went the whole way with zero flats.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I ride the ATAS. Its not an age thing, its mental attitude and fitness. Keep your weight down and keep fit.
I am 65 and reckon there is another ten years . Look on the bright side, as you get older your MPG goes up

·
Registered
36 Posts
Turned 51 earlier this year and I am severely out of shape.

Had not been on a long trip in over a decade and thought I was going to die when planning the trip. 850 miles non-stop the first and last days with another 1,200 spread out over 7 days in the Colorado mountains, with a 50/50 mix of dirt and road.

The only real pain I had was a tight helmet that made me take a 1/2 hour break at every gas stop + 4 Aleves (only on the last leg).

HANG IN THERE!!!! YOU ONLY REALLY KNOW YOUR LIMITS WHEN YOU LOOK BACK AT THEM.

EDIT: I got short legs and it's hard to swing my leg over when I am luggaged. Bought Pivot Springz and they are so wide that I just climb on them, then over. As for tires, I had the Mitas Dakar on my Versys and now on the AT as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Cruise on

Having made it to the upper seventies and 400k plus bike miles, I am still riding for pleasure. But, arthritic thumbs made clutching in stop-go traffic, and holding throttle open, painful. A Honda AT with DCT and MCCruise cruise control shelves those excuses. So, 6k miles since February on my new 2017 AT. The pleasure is back, love the DCT; select S3 and peg the volume nob for a big smile.

I am prepping for ride next month from Oregon (USA) to Yellowknife (NWT) and Skagway Alaska. Yellowknife is the only Canadian provincial capital missing from my collection.

Cruise on.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
50 and riding as much I can ... bought AT in April 2017 ... 25.400 km at the moment ...

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm 62 yrs old and I still hit the dirt but I do a lot of exercise. I lift weights and do other exercises 3 days out of the week and walk at least 5 miles a day Mon~Fri. I had a stroke about 4 yrs ago that scared the **** out of me. I had neglected my health for a long time and gained a lot of weight. It all caught up with me plus I had become borderline diabetic. I had a choice to either get in shape or start the spiral into old age h.ell. I lost 50 lbs by the end of the year, going from 220 to 170, the perfect weight for me at 6ft tall. The routine has done wonders for me, reversing all the effects of the stroke and diabetic condition. I have no health issues and need no meds at all. No one is more surprised than me that I could turn my health around and regain my strength, agility and stamina from long ago. I'm 62 and I can do pushups and not just a few but a lot! I tell people I don't kid myself into thinking I'm 20 yrs old again but I'm not kidding when I say I feel like I'm 20 yrs old. Age is just a number.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts