Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a rather nervous morning.. thinking about it. cleaning the tank with panel wipe so there wasnt even a hint of wax.. and then fretting far too much about getting it 'right first time' I added a pair of knee pads. For that large area of white which I really want to preserve.

I ordered them via eBay from Italy and they arrived in 3 days (remarkable) nicely matching the tanks colours. my attempt at fitting them went well.. better than expected given my rather ham-fisted approach to these kinds of tasks.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well those side decals look really really nice. When I look at my ATAS it does indeed appear as though there is a rather large white space on the tank sides where other areas of the bike are well covered in graphics. I had never noticed this before as I felt the bike looked perfect

I just cant decide if I should order them. I think I am afraid that the bike might look 'over graphiced' and too 'busy'

To complicate matters there is another Italian firm that is doing a similar tank graphic - its on this Forum somewhere

Dam, over thinking stuff again !

·
Registered
328 Posts
nice bike !

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yeah, your bike looks nice with the decal, Motorbiker.

And I agree, after seeing some of these decals, my ATAS tank looks a bit "unfinished" too.

So I've already ordered the one Ghostrider put on his bike from Resin Bike in Italy. Shite, the shipping fees are nearly as much as the decal, but I really like the additional Honda logo on that tank decal.

Can't wait for it to arrive and install.

Cheers!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just cant decide if I should order them. I think I am afraid that the bike might look 'over graphiced' and too 'busy'
That never occurred to me, for what its worth they look original to the bike. the red is to all intents and purposes an exact match for the red stipe its next to. I got them to help protect that area from the constant rubbing of my knees and for no other reason. It was only after I ordered them that I spotted these on the rugged roads website.

They look terrible (personal taste) however they also do them in an "ultra-clear finish to blend into your bike’s paintwork."

Had I known that, I just might have gone for those instead. less of a risk. But, when the stickers actually arrived I was very pleased.

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
Oh, forgot to mention, the Resin Bike decal comes in 4 parts. I'm considering just placing the Honda logo on the tank.

I'll be giving it a lot of thought and hopefully test with a bit of tape for best look. Won't do much for tank protection that way, but it might just look pretty cool.

·
Registered
400 Posts
So after debating those tank stickers I ordered some. Ordered Tuesday from Italy and arrived here (UK) on Thursday. That's superb customer service and post free. They really look good.
Its a bit cool in the garage (5 degrees) so I reckon after a good clean of tank I will warm the tank a bit with a hairdryer, that should help the glue stick better.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did mine outside.. after washing then rubbing down the area with a microfibre cloth and a final wipe with 'panel wipe'. I attached the stickers and then left them alone till the next day. It was bit fraught as you only get 1 chance to get it right. I used a felt marker to mark the positions with a few spots. I reckon they are 99% perfect. which is more than good enough for me. There were no air bubbles.. they are too thick I think for that to be a concern. next day I rubbed them down with the microfibre and removed the felt tip 'spots', done.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yeh I have been watching how to apply such stickers on You Tube. It looks like the best way is to use the 'hinge method'

Basically you get the decal in the right position then secure the it with masking tape
Then remove the masking tape from one half, bend back the decal and remove about one third of the backing paper. Allow the decal to return flat and smooth it onto the surface starting at the middle. With one end of the decal now secured it wont go anywhere so you lift the other end and remove the remaining backing paper and roll down the decal middle to end

So its called the hinge method as its like the decal is hinged in the middle and is stuck down outwards from the middle to each end.

I reckon the thing NOT to do is remove all the backing paper and hope that you can get it placed correctly - it wont happen !

·
Registered
284 Posts
Pics, Kev... Pics!

Can't believe you got yours in 2 fricking days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts