Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not quite "just like that", but I just bought a leftover red 2018 AT DCT. I have had a Yamaha FJR1300 for 8-10 years and rode it quite a bit until life got in the way. About three years ago I started spending all my time riding a dirt bike (WR250F) with my grandson and fell in love with the off-road stuff. After being off the FJR for about three years, I climbed back on it and thought it was so heavy and it felt like I was straddling an elephant. After riding dirt, I decided I wanted to have something plated on which I could ride gravel, fire roads and maybe something a little more challenging.

I had been interested in and curious about the Yamaha TW200 and thought maybe it could be enough to cruise on the highway to get to the gravel/fire roads. I ran across one, bought it and found it to be a fun little toy; but not enough power for me on the highway. Then I thought I would look at a mid-size adventure or dual sport bike and that would be less of a handful than the FJR and could take the place of the FJR and TW.

At 60, I find the lighter bikes fun to ride, but you can't deny what a comfortable mile eater the FJR is. I thought I might like the Honda CB500x, got mixed messages from the reviews as to how good it would be even on some rough gravel roads. Anyway, of all the bikes I researched in my price range; I had about decided on trying to order the new Yamaha Tenere 700. "The Twin" always popped up in my research, but I just couldn't go the price of a new one. Then I discovered there were leftover Twins for less than the price of the Tenere. I saw a red Twin DCT advertised at a dealer, so I went to check it out. Found out they actually sold it three weeks earlier and claimed they forgot to take it down. I thought that was a sign to just order the Tenere, but three days later a new 2018 leftover popped up at a dealer three hours away. I went, I rode, I bought, and I love it! However, I need to find something for my left hand to do - and the AF is not quite the smaller lighter bike I set out to get. After accessorizing, I may find it weighs as much as the FJR. Ha!

I apologize for my long-winded introduction.

·
Super Moderator
1,750 Posts
Hi and welcome

1 - 4 of 4 Posts