Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the word my red DCT is out of its crate, assembled and sitting on the showroom floor.
I will go and see it but its back to work for another month next Monday so it will sit there for a January pick up. :smile2:
I can't wait to start putting some kms on it once it is registered in the new year.

Bike of choice for off road, long distance to date has been a much modified 08 DR650 (bought new)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi Les, sounds like your a FIFO worker? Anyhow glad to see another aussie on the forum, if you still got the DR my advise is, keep it, the AT is great/better for the off road long distance rides, eats up the kl's in no time, nothing like blasting down an outback dirt road at 140+, but for those washed out, rocky, log hopping trails the dr's still the go mate. I sure you will enjoy the AT as much as we all do :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Good day mate,do u no hv they changed the spokes to stainless steel?in Europe we had a lot of corrosion.no point in asking u about heated grips:flushed::sunglasses:.best of luck with yr new AT.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Good day mate,do u no hv they changed the spokes to stainless steel?in Europe we had a lot of corrosion.no point in asking u about heated grips:flushed::sunglasses:.best of luck with yr new AT.
Hahahahahaha ! you crack me up Rockie, we'll teach you some Aussie slang old mate, and if and when I ever get to that little backyard you call Ireland I wanna have a bloody coldie with you mate. (thats a beer)
Your shout.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry not an 'Aussie but my Father was from Sydney, RAAF WWII / Pacific and yes FIFO oil and gas on the North West Shelf.

I picked the bike up today and was impressed by the DCT's ability at take off, very smooth, I had purchased the AF with no test ride.
The test ride was from the dealer door and out the gate.

One oddity was the chain, it has maybe 5 mm of slack on the side stand ? (It says 40 mm on the sticker attached to the chain guard)
I was told it will stretch over the first 1000kms, I will take a look tomorrow encase it puts stress on the counter sprocket bearing.

I put a few pic's up in the garage, maybe there are other folk into older bikes.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rockie
The dealer when I asked seemed to think there was going to SS but I think the double dipped as posted here is probably more accurate.
I will take a look tomorrow on my DCT but one reason I got a 2016 was there did not seem to be any real updates that they knew of and a 17 model (I was told) could have been up to a five month wait.

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thats too tight Les, it won't stretch that much, it could break being too tight mate,

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
G'day Les. The AT is made for Australia...you're going to love it!
All good Derek.
The AF is probably 90+ kg heavier than the trusty DR unloaded but we will see how it goes, I took the gamble on the DCT and first impressions are good.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Les, sounds like your a FIFO worker? Anyhow glad to see another aussie on the forum, if you still got the DR my advise is, keep it, the AT is great/better for the off road long distance rides, eats up the kl's in no time, nothing like blasting down an outback dirt road at 140+, but for those washed out, rocky, log hopping trails the dr's still the go mate. I sure you will enjoy the AT as much as we all do :)
The DR is a keeper Denburger (bought it new in the NT in January 2008)
It has suffered a bit with a long delay freshen up (780 etc) but it should be back together this year.
It has done some hard work.
Looking forward to some miles on the AF but working away does get in the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats too tight Les, it won't stretch that much, it could break being too tight mate,
I agree,lucky the ride home was smooth surface and slow speed.
Its a worry, chains used to stretch long ago but modern stuff I think not.
It was fluttering a bit when they were pushing the bike from the showroom.

I will take a look in the rider manual tomorrow and set it to a proper slack, thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
312 Posts
One oddity was the chain, it has maybe 5 mm of slack on the side stand ? (It says 40 mm on the sticker attached to the chain guard)
I was told it will stretch over the first 1000kms, I will take a look tomorrow encase it puts stress on the counter sprocket bearing.
Mate, I hope it wasn't the Dealer who told you this? If it was, then he's still living in the 70's when chains were crap.
Whoever told you needs to be educated, or get off there lazy ass an adjust the chain properly before delivery to the customer.
Anyway, what do you think of the bike, isn't it a beauty ? :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
U got me Les,thought u were a Crocodile Dundee like our Mate Denburger or as I like to call him,Kangaroo Burger ?How do ye like the AT.any problems with the oem tyres.hv ye got the oem panniers or after market.and by the war K burger it's a pint of the black stuff not that old triple XXX??

·
Registered
312 Posts
U got me Les,thought u were a Crocodile Dundee like our Mate Denburger or as I like to call him,Kangaroo Burger ?How do ye like the AT.any problems with the oem tyres.hv ye got the oem panniers or after market.and by the war K burger it's a pint of the black stuff not that old triple XXX??
Alright alright! If I really have too? I'll drink that black stuff with ya, as long as you got some K Meat Pies to help it go down :wink2:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mate, I hope it wasn't the Dealer who told you this? If it was, then he's still living in the 70's when chains were crap.
It sure was and they said the 'filings will come out at the first oil change also. :grin2:
I will go over it closely later

I like the bike but didn't get to put many kms on it, the DCT when moving off is very smooth, quite impressive so look forward to seeing how that equates off road and loose surfaces.

I got another set of pegs and wonder if I got this replacement muffler (eBay) off a UK member here (It should be delivered before this swing is up, 24 days to go )

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a bit of an update.

The Leo Vince muffler arrived from the UK and was a great buy at a little over AU$400 posted.

I got back from work this week and a few parcels had been delivered.

A B&B Safari bash plate and radiator guards.
A set of Barrett Product racks which should work well with my well used Andy Strapz Expedition soft panniers.
A screen saver kit is on the way to give the dash face some protection also.
Still thinking about upper bodywork protection in the form of crash bars, but every kilo added is a step closer to a tank.

Barretts were great to deal with and you know when you phone and the 'chief is in the workshop taking the call they are old school (but very professional)

I will see this current job out but look forward to a major (Australia) ride at the end of it, another trip to India might be on the cards also, probably next year.

Don't forget to check your chain slack, I can see that it was tight even in the crate picture. (Page 1) which suggests it came from the factory like that
Check it or risk damage to the engine case or transmission output bearing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just an update since I am running my GPS lead back to the battery.

Here was my list as delivered, not a moan but a WTF ?

I get the bike with 15 mm of chain slack when it should be 40 mm (new bike pick up) the dealer didn't care so I adjusted it myself to the correct slack.

Their dealership number plate surround with their name on it was mounted upside down, not a drama but how does that not get spotted.

Two of the front fender securing screws fell out, they might be somewhere between NSW and QLD or just down the road, who knows. (Replaced)
The left hand axle pinch bolts were tight (outer) way looser (inner) spotted when fitting Trail Attacks, I torqued to spec on reassembly with cross check.
The bikes are delivered in the crate with the front wheel and fender not installed so are fitted at the dealer.
Remember this is the dealer (large) who said the chain would stretch and the "filings" would come out with the first oil change.
The DCT here gets the factory centre/center stand free (but is a side order it seems) it took a year to get it but it was posted to me quick smart when I inquired on how that order was going.
#
So anyway I go to remove the battery cover, I suggest if you have not done that to date you do and put some from of never seize on the two 6 mm screws holding the outer cover, the rear one which is harder to reach needed an inhex and quite a bit of force to remove so out in the bush with a long ball nose allen key will not remove it I am sure.

The battery is on its side, the positive lead is at the front and tucked away a bit, it took quite a bit of force to unto the 6 mm bolt (a scary amount of force)

I then move on to the negative/ground cable, it is attached to the battery terminal on the far side and comes across and bolts to the engine case by the look of it.
Long story short I wiggled the battery and what do you know that cable lug at the case moved ?
Sure enough the bolt was finger tight (It has a 5 mm hex in so easily removed with a long T allen key.

IF YOU ARE HAVING ANY POWER PROBLEMS I SUGGEST YOU CHECK THE BATTERY TERMINALS BUT MORE SO THAT JOINT AT THE ENGINE CASE, CHECK THEM ANYWAY TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE TIGHT.
THAT IT SEEMS IS THE MAIN GROUND ON THE BIKE, BATTERY TO CASE THEN WHO KNOWS WHERE SOMEWHERE ELSE.

I need to go over this bike more in depth because it seems they need it, maybe the battery was installed by the dealer also who knows.
I'm prepping it up for a ride around the block so don't want any drama's or bits falling off.
I am thinking I should machine some form of chain oiler beforehand though that will attach to the inside of that plastic fin at the lower side of the rear sprocket.

All in all a great bike, but have to wonder about some dealerships.

I put a picture up of that loose bolt location, I think it is a good idea to check it if you have not to date, just saying.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts