Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just picked up my Red AT DCT; 3k mikes on the clock but good condition and full touring pack.

I have to say that just about everything I read on this forum, (the good and bad) has been correct.

I have only had a couple of fairly damp rides to get used to her but found the DCT to be great in urban areas, and the engine and riding position to be very nice. It might not be as fast as some previous bikes but in S mode on full throttle a couple of gears are dropped and she pulls just great.

The only other extras I have ordered so far are a MRA screen as the standard was fine for the body but too much buffeting around the helmet. The spoiler on the MRA has always worked well for me in the past so hopefully it will again.

Yes the heated grips are pretty crappy, I would be banging on Hondas door if I had bought it new, but I hope with a good pair of gloves they will be acceptable for the UK. Spokes are bad and the dealer put a claim in before I picked the bike up so fingers crossed.

The only issue that got me concerned so far is the Dunlops. I read they were poor but I am a reasonably sedate rider so hoped I would get away with it. I have only tried a dozen or so twisties and already the back stepped out by an alarming amount on one occasion. It was damp but not wet and I was taking it easy. Still good to know the TC works.

So I need to change the rubber as at the moment they are colouring my view of the bike. I am thinking Conti trail 2 for 95% road riding. Is that the best idea?

Also for those who have changed were the dealers fine with putting TL tyres on a TT bike?

Thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi Wilco best of luck.not get my bike yet but that's the only thing that scares me,the oem tyres.i like to push on in wet weather safely but if u don't hv confidence in the rubber it's dangerous.hv u much tread left on tyres?let us no what u choose and how u get on.i really wanted bike for all round weather but mostly bad weather winter riding.wonder is it the large narrow wheels that is the problem or will a diff set of tyres sort out wet road problems.what colour did u get?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Rickie, I went for the Red, I likes the Tri colour as well but the only used DCT I could find was the Red. It looks good.
So far the front has been OK but I have only done a hundred miles, it was the reasonably fat rear that let go. The tread is OK, I think it is just the well documented poor performance of the OEMs in the wet. Hopefully a change will bring the confidence back. I also need to firm up the suspension a bit which may also help. I will let you know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts