Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies for another oil thread but my 2019 AT has just had it's first 600 mile service and some advice is required.

Due to the current lock down rules a lot of Honda Dealers are still closed so I purchased all the parts necessary and recommended oil online and took it to a local 'ish highly respected motorcycle mechanic. I didn't really take too much notice when I picked the bike back up as I was shooting straight off to work but the mechanic gave me back the 4 litre oil container with nearly 2 litres still left in it. I was late so put it straight in my rucksack and heading to work. Only now after checking the manual I see that it should have had the full 4 litres.

I have checked the oil level twice now (as described in the manual) in the last day or so and it's bang on in the middle. The bike runs good as it did so before I go back for an explanation and get his back up I thought I'd get other AT users advice/opinions.

I have read on here that by not opening the second drain plug can leave you 0.5 litres short but not nearly 2l. I'm considering re-doing the oil change myself to be sure.

It's a shame as the garage mechanic seemed to know a lot about bikes (obviously just not my bike?).

Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After having changed my oil multiple times, I can confirm that it takes the full 4 litres. I have never tried to just drain from one of the plug instead of both to find out how much oil drains from each plug.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Seems strange that the mechanic didn't offer you an explanation!!!! he may have used 2litres of the garage stuff before realising that you supplied your own oil!! I would get that info first before changing it again.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have read on here that by not opening the second drain plug can leave you 0.5 litres short but not nearly 2l. I'm considering re-doing the oil change myself to be sure.

It's a shame as the garage mechanic seemed to know a lot about bikes (obviously just not my bike?).

Just drop the oil again dont do the filter, make sure you do both plugs. Total oil I get in there is normally just over 4L but I rock the bike from side to side on the centre stand (and quite a bit comes out when you do that) and change the filter. If thats it first oil change you need to get the rest of that oil out. This was a fairly common problem even at Honda dealers when they first came out. We dont know what plug he pulled so its entirely possible he only dropped 2L out.

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
Welcome aboard the Forum Mathew. Fortunately, this appears to be not a "traditional" oil thread, but an oil "change" thread. :)

Don't forget to show pics of your beast.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
577 Posts
Apologies for another oil thread but my 2019 AT has just had it's first 600 mile service and some advice is required.

Due to the current lock down rules a lot of Honda Dealers are still closed so I purchased all the parts necessary and recommended oil online and took it to a local 'ish highly respected motorcycle mechanic. I didn't really take too much notice when I picked the bike back up as I was shooting straight off to work but the mechanic gave me back the 4 litre oil container with nearly 2 litres still left in it. I was late so put it straight in my rucksack and heading to work. Only now after checking the manual I see that it should have had the full 4 litres.

I have checked the oil level twice now (as described in the manual) in the last day or so and it's bang on in the middle. The bike runs good as it did so before I go back for an explanation and get his back up I thought I'd get other AT users advice/opinions.

There are two drain plugs for the Twin. Both need to be opened due to solid partitioning inside the crank case. I suspect your mech only opened one of them. Not sure how much oil is trapped behind each plug but it looks like you only got about 1/2 of an oil change.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice. In the end I dropped the oil out (was indeed 4 litres or there about) and refilled. I got 3.8 litres back in which according to the manual is nearly right as I didn't change the filter again, and it's a mm or two from full mark. The mechanic definitely only drained one plug, obvious once the skid plate was off...
Tanks again for all the input. Cheers guys

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just did my first oil change on the Africa Twin and it was a breeze. Now I'm confident I could do it in 15-20 minutes max, it's actually easier than doing it on my older CBR250R.
I shot a video and I just finish editing it, I will put it on my YouTube channel in a few days. 2 Liters of oil is way too little, I used 4. As you'll see in the video after putting 2 liters it didn't even register on the dip stick.

I'll have the video here RideWyoming

·
Registered
436 Posts
I didn't use any liters, I used just over a gallon when I did my first oil change🙂

1 - 9 of 9 Posts