Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 2017 DCT back from the dealer a day ago. I realized that after 6 months and 7000 miles of exclusive road riding, the forks had become a bit sticky--shocks through the bars when hitting a tar strip, binding down a bit after a stop and jerking up when taking off, hard to jounce at a stop with the brake on, etc. Still under warranty, so I took it in.
They called me to say they didn't think it was bad; it felt fine to them and it was the same as the two they had in the showroom. I told them to pull it down and look. All they found was one contaminated bushing; no wear marks in the tubes, no reason to warranty them.
They put in new bushings and seals, I paid them, and rode off. It's back to the smooth action it had when I bought it. It was a gamble I lost to have them look at it, because I could have opened it up myself and not paid labor, but that's what happens.
I can only hope that there was some swarf in the tube with the contaminated bushing, ad it'll be good for longer than a year. I'd do it myself next time, though.
Just for fun, I jounced the two in their showroom. The new 2018 ATAS was OK; it moved smoothly, but the used 2017 with 3500 miles was sticky. I didn't bother telling them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The 16 and 17 possible fork issues were one of the reasons I traded for an 18 ATAS. They should have warrantied the bushing and seal replacement. The contamination would probably eventually led to excess wear in the fork tube. The fork and bushings should be pristine after one year/7,000 miles. I also backed off on the torque of the lower triple clamp to fork leg. Use common sense and do this at your own risk. This is the area of the fork tube wear.

I was planning on doing a fork service and inspect the fork tube and bushings before the warranty expires. It is common knowledge that the AT dust seals are weak and need a stronger spring. My forks still feel smooth It may be due to installing fork seal protectors (fork soxs). That could help to keep contamination out of the fork.

Jon

·
Registered
223 Posts
Loosen off the the right fork leg axle pinch bolts, bounce the forks up & down & re-torque the bolts, see if that makes an improvement, this will align the the forks on the axle so there will be no binding caused by the forks being out of alignment-worth a try as only takes a few minutes to do.
When I bought my At the front was very harsh & wouldnt work on small bumps, reset the forks & now smooth as butter

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my case, it just gradually got sticky. It's back to smooth action now, like it was when I bought it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts