Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to open the conversation, anyone have any ideas on what can be done to prevent / track theft of the bike?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a PWC ( Personal Watercraft ) stolen while on vacation last year it was recovered with almost no damage and it was insured but still annoying and inconvenient. I researched GPS tracking devices and decided on a spot trace unit for the PWC. It has multiple notification and tracking settings and does not rely on cell service I have it wired to the boat battery and it also has an internal battery so it keeps reporting even if the boat battery is disconnected. The only negative would be the ongoing yearly fee.

My bike and PWC are in the garage while at home for any overnight trips with the bike I take the spot trace out of the boat and hook it up to the bike.

https://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=128

·
Registered
230 Posts
I use the spot trace. Works pretty well. They advertise that they only work in open sky but all of mine work inside my garage which is surrounded by trees. Expensive, but gps and not reliant on cell signals. As for actually preventing theft I haven't actually got anything yet but have been looking at some of the alarming type disc locks for travelling.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I use the spot trace. Works pretty well. They advertise that they only work in open sky but all of mine work inside my garage which is surrounded by trees. Expensive, but gps and not reliant on cell signals. As for actually preventing theft I haven't actually got anything yet but have been looking at some of the alarming type disc locks for travelling.
The Honda U-lock fits neatly under the pillion seat (in a specially designed recess). Because of the skinny front wheel you can get the U-lock round cycle racks or railings. Good for preventing a couple of guys lifting the bike into a van but if you park it regularly in the same place they would probably sacrifice the front wheel
Mike

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have Biketrac fitted. I have transferred it across four bikes now and it works really well. There are alternative self fit trackers. I have fitted to a cat. Slightly bulkier them the Biketrac and self monitored but it does look to a smartphone to give you movement alerts and only cost £99 and £20 a year for a sim across 4 X 3month top ups.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The Honda U-lock fits neatly under the pillion seat (in a specially designed recess). Because of the skinny front wheel you can get the U-lock round cycle racks or railings. Good for preventing a couple of guys lifting the bike into a van but if you park it regularly in the same place they would probably sacrifice the front wheel
Mike
Is that really what that space is for? How are you supposed to get under the seat if they don't give you a toolkit? I suppose there are lots of neat built-ins, but how does one find out about them?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Is that really what that space is for? How are you supposed to get under the seat if they don't give you a toolkit? I suppose there are lots of neat built-ins, but how does one find out about them?
No tools needed and you don't need to remove the pillion seat.
Here's a pic (seat is removed but only to show where the legs fit)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have Biketrac fitted. I have transferred it across four bikes now and it works really well. There are alternative self fit trackers. I have fitted to a cat. Slightly bulkier them the Biketrac and self monitored but it does look to a smartphone to give you movement alerts and only cost £99 and £20 a year for a sim across 4 X 3month top ups.

Hi pjm, I looked into biketrac, but the price is 299 + yearly subscription.. Where did you got it for 99?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
295 Posts
That is for the self fit, not Biketrac. Rewire Security is the one to google. Very helpful UK based helpline.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have been looking at the Datatool Trackking, its come down since its start and looks real good.
I think its £179 + fitting then its a yearly subscription.
Its a lot but after having my Fireblade stolen last year I know how expensive and traumatic it is...trust me.
If anyone has used the Datatool system Id love to know what you think?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Going say something iv only heard others saying and never seen it done.
You can buy GPS trackers for dogs/cats which are very small and a lot cheaper than the motorcycle alternative,with them been small you can hide them out of sight on your bike.

somthing to keep in mind is that any good bike thief will use a GPS jammer which would make finding your bike next to impossible until they dispose of the bike tracking system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Honda U lock is £95 + post does anyone have a good alternative that fits in the same space as the Honda one ?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The Honda U lock is £95 + post does anyone have a good alternative that fits in the same space as the Honda one ?
There's bound to be one - it will be made for Honda by Abus probably, but it's knowing the exact model that will fit. If it's any help in looking for a discounted one, the user manual that came with mine is for a CB600RR lock.
Mike

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
No, but it could be wheeled into the back of a van to work on a your leisure. Original use hopefully makes it difficult to move as it applies front brake?
I suspect the van guys generally work in two's and would be easily able to lift the front wheel to get it up a ramp.
Mike

·
Registered
63 Posts
No tools needed and you don't need to remove the pillion seat.

Here's a pic (seat is removed but only to show where the legs fit)

If you're not using the Honda U-Lock, a guy on the Facebook group posted this idea. Storage for the Motion Pro axle wrenches/spoons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts