Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Super Moderator
663 Posts
I just saw a video in Youtube about ride down Steep rutting hills and Front break is your best friend, I will try that technique as soon the weather let me.
Hey, I recognize that video. That's my buddy Dusty of West38 Moto! Great instructor, awesome dude :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
I rode both a DCT and a manual before buying - and I personally didn't like the DCT. I own a 2018 ATAS manual and unless you include the 2020 1100 in the mix I would still go for the 2018/2019 ATAS manual. The suspension is much better - it has been the thing that I've noticed the most. The taller windscreen suits me perfectly (I get no buffeting). The heated grips are mich nicer than add ons, and for me the seat height is a plus (36 inch inseam). The crash bars aren't crash bars - they are light bars. I had a tipover at walking speed (deep rut caught the wheel and then my foot). The light bar kept my tank off the ground - but don't expect much more from them. The downsides for me was I'm not partial to the gold rims or the white/blue/red paint (the red/white/black is my favorite). The bigger tank is a plus and a minus. I like that I don't need to plan so many stops - because this bike is a mile eater. But make sure the tank shape doesn't mess with your ergonomics. I fit the 2016 and 2017 models that I had ridden perfectly with the seat in the high position - and even wanted it a bit higher. I fit the ATAS perfectly for standing over it, and I fit the peg placement perfectly as far as peg and seat - but the combination of the taller seat and wider tank put my knees into the tops of the tank cutouts.
You can weigh the differences between the bikes, consider the costs and such - but don't cut yourself short. Your opinion matters more than anyone else's.

·
Registered
842 Posts
The DCT version definitely requires many hours of experience to justify the "cross-over". But once there, woo-dawgy. Some may not have much choice since they can no longer clench the clutch like they used to.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yup, I saw that video. I even took Dusty's class (the guy in the video) as he is a local instructor. Riding the rear brake was his recommendation for a situation like in his video which definitely makes it much harder to get down as you don't have both feet to help you through the rut.

I just saw a video in Youtube about ride down Steep rutting hills and Front break is your best friend, I will try that technique as soon the weather let me.

81 - 84 of 84 Posts