Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been asked before but I have only found an answer concerning the non-Adventure versions.

Title says it all. Does anyone know if the 2019 ATAS has had any production improvements compared tot the 2018 ATAS? I'm looking to buy one from Februari 2019 and am wondering if I should focus on something specific while inspecting the bike.

Greets, Django

·
Registered
497 Posts
Sorry if this has been asked before but I have only found an answer concerning the non-Adventure versions.

Title says it all. Does anyone know if the 2019 ATAS has had any production improvements compared tot the 2018 ATAS? I'm looking to buy one from Februari 2019 and am wondering if I should focus on something specific while inspecting the bike.

Greets, Django
My ATAS was built January 2019. I don't think you will find many differences between 2018 and 2019. Do check that the fuel tank recall has been completed or get it done. Fortunately, I never encountered the power loss others have experienced due to the fuel tank contamination. However the mechanic that performed the recall on mine was shocked at how much material was in the tank. He took over three hours before he was satisfied it was clean enough to put things back together.

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
Hi Django. I am not aware of any product improvements or changes between the 2018 and 2018 MY ATAS. I think if you find a good deal on either MY you will be fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for your reply's.
Struggling with the idea if I should get a younger (non-DCT) ATAS ('19) with more km's on it, instead of an older one ('18) with very little km's. Difference;
2019 - 10.000 km's for 11.500 euro's (sometimes 12.000 or more)
against
2018 - 6000 km's for 10.900 euro's (only one currently available for that price)

Both might be negotiable except if one comes from a dealer where they sell for non-negotiable prices. Only upsides that I can think of when I buy the 2018 one is, it drove less ánd there might be a younger one available if I decide to exchange it in a few years.
When I buy the 2019 one, chance is quite small i'll find one younger than that.

·
Registered
2020 ATAS ES DCT and a few more
308 Posts
Is the only difference the price and kms? if so, not a huge difference in kms. For only 600 euro more, I'd go for the newer one. Any warranty left on either of them? In the real world there is more than a 600 euro difference between the years. Also check to see if any of the major services have been done. That might save you some money too. In general ask about the service history of the bike.

As others have said, no major differences between the 2 as that seems to be how Honda does the AT (keeps it the same for 2 years, then maybe changes).

·
Super Moderator
5,598 Posts
Is the only difference the price and kms? if so, not a huge difference in kms. For only 600 euro more, I'd go for the newer one. Any warranty left on either of them? In the real world there is more than a 600 euro difference between the years. Also check to see if any of the major services have been done. That might save you some money too. In general ask about the service history of the bike.

As others have said, no major differences between the 2 as that seems to be how Honda does the AT (keeps it the same for 2 years, then maybe changes).
Any known subtle production "bug fixes" between 2018 and 2019?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Difference is, the (Januari) 2019 offer is from a dealer, the (Juli) 2018 is from a private person. Haven't got an idea of service history regarding the 2018 bike. But the one from the dealer is checked and normally serviced I presume. Both have expired manufacturer's warranty. Considering the dealer needs a profit rate, it would probably be sold cheaper when owned by a private person. I might be able tot get the 2018 bike for 10.500. That is, íf seller answers my message which he hasn't so far.
I still have quite some costs ahead for transport,import and Dutch registration because the bike is coming from Germany. This is why I'm looking for offers that are a bit cheaper than average.
Extra hurdle, I cannot visit the larger part of Germany because of corona (travel-restrictions).
Considering the potential (flex)price of the 2018. Would you still choose the 2019? And why?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts