Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only thing about the big Honda I can't make friends with is the seat.

It just rolls me forward when I want to slide back for steady high speed cruise.
It feels best when I'm up on the tank riding crooked stuff. 200 miles and I'm in
long term pain! I hate to spend $500 for a seat that may not be any better-or not much.

I ride a DR650 too and I've endured 48,000 miles on that stocker. I just knew the AT seat would be wonderful.

It is not.:frown2:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just came home from 3500 km trip, the first longer with my AT. I used to have Sargent seat on my former GS. ATs seat is definitely better than GSs stock, but is also leaning forward and too soft for my as. I'll joined waiting for Sargent to get their seat for AT ready.

Lähetetty minun SM-G930F laitteesta Tapatalkilla

·
Registered
56 Posts
Easy fix.

I use an Airhawk for longer rides. I put the seat on the lower setting, the Airhawk adds height to the seat of course but I also like the higher setting with the Airhawk, less knee bend. I also use a sheep skin occasionally.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I was carrying an airhawk but never had to use it. Did 7.5 hours yesterday with no problems at all (couple of 30 minute breaks for food and coffee though.
Mike

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes Ishift, I have exactly the same issue with the seat, I'm 6ft and find that he seat seems to push me forward all the time, I have tried adding more compression/preload to the rear shock to try and level it out, this hasn't really made much difference but seems to just add more knee bend so now I have a sore arse, painful knees and my back still aches between my shoulder blades after about 60 miles!!! oh and I get wind noise from the screen (been keeping an eye on mike5100 post about this too !) So I would love a solution to this problem without spending a fortune!

I do have an air hawk though but found the stock seat is quite comfortable padding wise, but I will try justdrew's idea of the seat on the lower setting with said airhawk to see if that makes any difference.

Also does anyone think bar risers would help with the backache? if so what type?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I did nearly 500 miles yesterday around north Wales and was glad to get off the bike when I got home,was in real pain the last 100 miles or so. I'm not planning on changing the seat as my bike is on PCP and I'll change the bike at the end of the term,I don't want to spend out on a bike I'm not planning on keeping,plus I don't use it that often due to family and work commitments.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Seat is way too hard, and the optional low seat is worse, but for shorter trips being a shorter chap it's worth the discomfort. I find my winter padded trousers much better than my riding jeans I tend to wear this time of the year.
Long hot days in France last year were miserably uncomfortable after a couple of hours.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Yes Ishift, I have exactly the same issue with the seat, I'm 6ft and find that he seat seems to push me forward all the time, I have tried adding more compression/preload to the rear shock to try and level it out, this hasn't really made much difference but seems to just add more knee bend so now I have a sore arse, painful knees and my back still aches between my shoulder blades after about 60 miles!!! oh and I get wind noise from the screen (been keeping an eye on mike5100 post about this too !) So I would love a solution to this problem without spending a fortune!

I do have an air hawk though but found the stock seat is quite comfortable padding wise, but I will try justdrew's idea of the seat on the lower setting with said airhawk to see if that makes any difference.

Also does anyone think bar risers would help with the backache? if so what type?
Yes - I thought Justdrew's idea of putting it on the low setting when using the airhawk was good. However, I have BIG problems getting the seat on and off the low setting, and since I use the helmet strap, it's probably a no-no for me.
Dibbs - if playing with the rear preload does anything at all about altering the angle of tilt then increasing it would surely worsen the problem - it raises the back of the seat seat higher. At the same time it should in theory give you extra leg room if you increase preload, but it must be marginal. Altering compression damping won't have any effect at all.
My experiments with screens are 'ongoing' Yesterday I tried PJM's setup of the MRA sportscreen and X-creen deflector. It was OK-ish but I don't think it was any better than my cheapo cut down screen. Today I'm fitting the standard OEM screen with the deflector, but I don't really know why as I could tell yesterday that the buffeting to the base of the helmet (around and below the ears) was coming from the edges of any screen that I had fitted so a deflector isn;t going to cure anything - Except peak vibration - which it did do with the MRA sports screen
I was getting a bit of backache yesterday but realised it was tension rather than posture. Forgive me if this comment smacks of eggs and grandmothers, but I found that holding my posture with my knees rather than my hands (for a spell) greatly reduced the soreness in shoulders. In order to make sure I wasn't gripping the handlebars I rode with my fingers extended on both hands and it was surprisingly easy to still control the throttle.
Mike

·
Registered
148 Posts
We all have different butts. If you get pain in your crotch, behind the balls, then the seat is too soft for you... the ischium bones sink too deep into the seat and the soft tissue behind the balls is taking your weight. That's the problem in my case, just like it was with the standard seat of GS. I chose the Sargent seat, that has both stiffer foam and stronger fabric, which solved completely my problem with GS. I could sit 12 hours per day, day after day in a row on the saddle, without any pain on my crotch. If the seat is also leaning forward, it may cause this previous problem to be worse. But it also may effect sores on the skin where the ischium bones meet the saddle. Depends on the briefs too. Forward leaning saddle may be good for off road, but for long trips it usually will cause problems, on my case at least. For my butt, the seat must be stiff enough, and lengthwise horisontal.

The good for AT seat is, that is it roomy enough letting me to change my position up to 10 cms lengthwise. The bad is, that it is too soft and leaning forward. It may be good for someone else, but for my butt it isn't.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Seat is way too hard, and the optional low seat is worse, but for shorter trips being a shorter chap it's worth the discomfort. I find my winter padded trousers much better than my riding jeans I tend to wear this time of the year.
Long hot days in France last year were miserably uncomfortable after a couple of hours.
Have you looked at this stuff Henery. (Sit&Fly) I cut one up and fitted it to an NC750 seat. Had to take it off because the airflow round my crotch and backside was so cold - it was February in the UK mind you. The mesh is much more unusual than it looks from the picture as it's quite stiff and springy.
Mike

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have zero issues with the comfort level of the stock seat or the low seat. Of the 3 ADV bikes I've owned, the AT is the only one I don't feel l need to change the seat. The Super Tenere, Triumph XCx were both way too soft causing pressure point in the wrong places. I replaced those with a Corbin (S10) and a Sargent (XCx) which were much more firm and did a great job.

I've done some pretty long rides on my AT and only started squirming in about the same amount of time as on my other motorcycles. So very happy with the stocker...

Also bought the low seat. And I found that to be just as comfortable as the stock seat. Many hundred mile days without any real pain I say that as regardless of what seat I've used, I can only sit in the saddle so long before I need to get off my butt...

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
That looks useful Mike, where did you get it from ?
From an online seller in Israel although I think the stuff was conceived and manufactured in the Far east. If this link doesn;t work it will be bacuse this forum software has removed the name of the famous auction site, but you can always do a search on there for sit&fly
Mike
Edit - yep it's just removing the whole link to the auction site
[URL="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-SEAT-COVER-SIT-FLY-FOR-SUZUKI-DR-650-AND-HONDA-CROSSTOURER-1200-/182525761643?hash=item2a7f62186b:g:Ue0AAOSwOVpXUxyI"][/URL]

·
Registered
170 Posts
I too am not thrilled with the stock seat (compared to my ST seat) and I was looking into an alternative but already have a Corbin on my CB 1100F and am not to happy with its comfort and its price. I had a guy in Florida called Spencer do what he calls a LD (long distance) mod to my ST seat for both rider and pillion and it works wonderful and it only cost $75. He is very good at what he does and he will not just modify a seat with out first experiencing it before doing so. I had talked to him about the AT's but he has yet to see one let alone sit or ride one. I had posted some time ago and asked anyone in Florida interested in a seat mod or just willing to help others out to stop by his place and leave him check the AT seat out and this would start the ball rolling on his LD mod for the AT but I received no response. I am going to go back to my original post and bump it so maybe some one will volunteer and we can get a cheap quality mod for this less than adequate AT seat.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Me, too! I don't mind the stock but having had Sargent seats before it does make a difference. I've already done some 6 hours days on the bike and it's been fine. I get off the bike to take photos and have a snack every hour or two. It would be nice if it was a bit firmer.

My Varadero had the best stock seat of any bike that I've had. All day comfy - 1000+ kilometres per day comfy.

(Im)patiently waiting for Sargent to release their offering.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My stock seat hurts me after 10 minutes or so, but I weight 300 lbs. I called seat concepts and they told me I needed a firmer seat. I ordered one with foam density for my weight and can't wait to try it. The stock seats rolls me up into the thinner foam and I bottom the foam out and basically right on the seat pan. I pressed my thumb into the seat in my crotch area and was surprised that I had totally compressed the foam and mashed my thumb into the seat pan. This is what the seat concepts people were telling me about. The Taint area behind my scrotum was taking a beating on the seat pan. Makes sense now. I can't wait to try my new seat.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts