Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has been riding for many years - currently owns/rides an '18 Africa Twin and her '15 Ducati Diavel. I've suggested she get on the relevant sites but every time she views them, she concludes that they consist of guys arguing whether this tire is better than that tire, what kind of oil to buy, why the factory muffler sucks, etc. She finds all that stuff to be well, to put it kindly, REALLY boring. She'd rather read about specific trips/rides on the particular motorcycles, not about why they all seem to require "upgrading."

Anyway...I'm wondering, are there female participants here? If so, maybe I could convince her to give it a shot.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
What is her preferred tire?

(Just kidding!)

This is common on many model-specific motorcycle forums. Would she consider a forum dedicated to just riding or "women who ride"? Those forums tend to share many riding experiences, versus shop talk.

·
Administrator
3,288 Posts
My wife has been riding for many years - currently owns/rides an '18 Africa Twin and her '15 Ducati Diavel. I've suggested she get on the relevant sites but every time she views them, she concludes that they consist of guys arguing whether this tire is better than that tire, what kind of oil to buy, why the factory muffler sucks, etc. She finds all that stuff to be well, to put it kindly, REALLY boring. She'd rather read about specific trips/rides on the particular motorcycles, not about why they all seem to require "upgrading."

Anyway...I'm wondering, are there female participants here? If so, maybe I could convince her to give it a shot.
My wife has a '17 AT and participates here and on other Aftica Twin and non-branded motorcycle sites. Of course she doesn't mind debating (arguing) with guys about tires and such either :)

Edit: My wife actually suggested Facebook as a better alternative to the Bike Forums. She said they tend to be less technical and focus more on rides, etc. There are few she participates in such as the motorcle camping ones, etc.

A couple she suggests are Dirty Girls ADV, Trail Babes, Female Owners of BMW, Woman Adventure Riders, ADV Gals, Women Riding Dual Sports.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
She'd rather read about specific trips/rides on the particular motorcycles, not about why they all seem to require "upgrading."
She might be happier with advrider, sticking to forums that interest her (ride reports, photos, whatever).

I feel bad saying this, especially with the effort they're putting in to improve here, but bike-specific forums seem to be dying out, maybe getting replaced by facebook groups. I prefer these, but if there's little activity, it doesn't matter what I prefer.

There's a ride reports forum here, but not a lot of activity.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,976 Posts
I say use all, sometimes you just need the “light and airy “ like a Facebook and other times a bit more in-depth like you can find here. But it is always a personal choice and one that can very over time. I personally love it here but do occasionally check out other sites too.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Advrider has a woman's forum, tho I've heard comments from other women that it's alot of complaining.

I have serious issues with Facebook. I do not participate there whatsoever, tho my wife does (she's got friends and family around the world). For riding, it gets tempting at times, guys I run into on the trails seem to be more connected on fb than anywhere else. I don't think I've met anyone who was on adv. It's the only time I get tempted to get on. It would be a lot easier to get riding buddies together locally, Intel on gates, trees down etc. I like adv for ride reports, track postings, trip planning, but that place has its issues.

This is a great place. It doesn't have the drama, there's alot of information here without the AT hate and complaining that I've seen elsewhere. My only complaint is that, for the way I like to read and participate, I wish it was a bit more active. I'd like to see more ride reports, more content related to where and how the bike takes you in addition to the specific bike stuff. I hope guys stay active here, I hope more folks get inspired to participate. There's many here I'm enjoying getting to know better.

·
Administrator
3,288 Posts
I say use all, sometimes you just need the “light and airy “ like a Facebook and other times a bit more in-depth like you can find here. But it is always a personal choice and one that can very over time. I personally love it here but do occasionally check out other sites too.
The problem with Facebook groups and there are a ton of Africa Twin ones, is that it isn't divided into sections and you can't really index it or search it. So the same repetitive questions like "What are the best tires for the Africa Twin" get asked over and over and over and over .... :)

I have serious issues with Facebook. I do not participate there whatsoever, tho my wife does (she's got friends and family around the world). For riding, it gets tempting at times, guys I run into on the trails seem to be more connected on fb than anywhere else. I don't think I've met anyone who was on adv. It's the only time I get tempted to get on. It would be a lot easier to get riding buddies together locally, Intel on gates, trees down etc. I like adv for ride reports, track postings, trip planning, but that place has its issues.
I can't say that I have any real problems with Facebook, but I just don't enjoy it much. My wife spends time there, but I often joke that I check in once a month whether I need to or not. There are a few groups I keep tabs on such as Denver Motorcycle Network, Rocky Mountain Adventure Riders, Rocky Mountain RAT (Riders Association of Triumph), BMW Motorcycle Club of Colorado and a few others that are good for current and localized info and local rallies and events. Rocky Mountain Adventure Riders held an Africa Twin Rally in Gunnison last year that was a blast :)

I check in with ADV once in a while, but mostly to get info about a possible upcoming ride. That is where I find it shines. They have the largest collection of ride reports and info that I have seen. You kind of have to stick to just a few subscribed threads though or else you get overwhelmed. There are some areas of ADV I just avoid altogether :)

There used to be some more women-centric forums such as 2-Wheel Females, but they seemed to have had some "infighting" and my wife said most have folded. Maybe it is the same issue with the ADV women's section?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm a female AT rider (and author of The Women's Guide to Motorcycling...disclaimer: I had no input on the cover design ?) and have similar issues with any forum, whether here or on FB. I do write for, and like, WOMEN ADV RIDERS MAGAZINE | Women ADV Riders is an overland magazine for motorcycling women across the globe. if interested in travel, off-road, or simply stories of amazing women. Otherwise, I look for FB groups that are of interest and skim them for topics I care about. The best thing I did was join a local women's riding group, but I lucked out and it's a no-drama, all welcome, no dues group up here in Seattle. I know they aren't all like that, sadly. My primary riding is long distance, so am also on some LD forums and groups, some closed and some open.

·
Administrator
3,288 Posts
I'm a female AT rider (and author of The Women's Guide to Motorcycling...disclaimer: I had no input on the cover design ?) and have similar issues with any forum, whether here or on FB. I do write for, and like, WOMEN ADV RIDERS MAGAZINE | Women ADV Riders is an overland magazine for motorcycling women across the globe. if interested in travel, off-road, or simply stories of amazing women.
Thanks for the post and for bringing the guide and this magazine to our attention. I am going to forward this info to my wife. I think she would be very interested in both :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts