Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

181 - 200 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I turned 66 on the last day of the 11-day Iron Butt Rally, having ridden almost 10,000 miles during the event; almost all on road with a few dirt sections. I’m 5’7”, female, and bought the bike in March after test riding my husband’s 2017 AT on a quick ride from Palm Springs, CA to Jacksonville, FL and back to make sure the ergonomics fit. I did put in a lowering link since the ‘18 suspension is stiffer, and for good measure dropped it on both sides (at different times) just to get it over with 🤣.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New member! I will turn 55 in about a month. Just picked up a "new" '17 AT DCT last week. Don't have many miles on it yet but absolutely love it so far. Looking forward to accessorizing it with gadgets and taking some long trips.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, New member, I am 61, bought a new 2018 ATAS last week, love it so far. I live in Fairbanks, Alaska. Headed south on it in a couple of weeks down to Northern California. Cheers!

·
Registered
228 Posts
rd8734, what will your route to CA be? Happy to discuss your transit of Oregon and buy you lunch it the opportunity avails.

·
Registered
2 Posts
58 here. Been riding since age 7. Still doing some Ahrma cross country but think I will love the Africa Twin. Harley and Triumph Sprint St just didn’t cut it. Will be flogging my Africa Twin let the mods begin.

·
Registered
14 Posts
...for sure and just bought my first road bike after 50 odd years of dirt bikes - quite the transition!! I am 66 and road is a bit of a learning curve. Have a 2019 Sports with DCT - just love that DCT :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Perhaps should start a thread with any young guys under 50 riding an AT, the response could possibly be underwhelming.
Met a few of that ilk and to a man they agreed some more useable power would be welcome but other than that they liked their bikes.
Not many, I suppose, openly admit that having spent upwards of £10k that they'd perhaps made a mistake.
Nearest thing I can compare mine to is the 2002 1150gs that I was more than happy with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ALMOST to 50, just a few months to go. First road bike for me, so I chickened out and went for the DCT with the Adventure package due to my size. So far, so very good!

·
Registered
1 Posts
yes sir I am 60 and got AT adventure sort 2019 DCT, love it. A bit high even being 6 foot but great bike. The DCT is not as smooth that I tough . I had sport and cruisers but this one is the best I ever had.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just turned 57. Bought a use 2017 from friend who upgraded to a 18’.. Agree with earlier post.. Health is the barometer..
I just got back from doing some challenging uphill dual track with ruts and rocks and other challenging terrain. AT did well and I am a very average dual sport rider..

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm 72 and just bought a 2017 model used but in good shape. First ride yesterday for 200+kms. Still have a KLR that I rode a lot but this machine is way beyond the KLR. Don't get me wrong, over 58000kms the KLM has been absolutely flawless. If the AT does the same I will be well pleased.
I could be shelling out a lot of cash in speeding tickets.......!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great Machine

I will be 60 this October I have a 2017 DCT, Love this bike wish I would of found it sooner. Great machine hope to go to Alaska with it. 🤞🏻

·
Registered
94 Posts
Guess I can chime in now. 65 and riding my ADV Sports for 1 day. Rested up today (G) Been away from riding better than 10 years. Scared. That Simple. Now I'm back (G)
Yup, with the wife's support. Embarrassed about the money spent.... Naw still wake up and peek into the garage!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Guess I can chime in now. 65 and riding my ADV Sports for 1 day. Rested up today (G) Been away from riding better than 10 years. Scared. That Simple. Now I'm back (G)

Yup, with the wife's support. Embarrassed about the money spent.... Naw still wake up and peek into the garage!
Congrats ! Had mine since Father's Day.... Still peek in the garage ;-)

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought my Africa Twin DCT at 60 years old, coming from a Goldwing for the past 5 years and 50K miles.

I LOVE the AT!!

I just completed a 900 mile 5 state fly and ride, and am in love with the new bike. Its incredibly comfortable, not Wing comfort for sure, but its great for long days in the saddle. I thought the seat was going to be a butt killer, but its not at all.

I am loving the sit up dual sport riding position (I had a GS previously), the low down grunt of the motor, the agile intuitive handling, and the amazing DCT transmission. I am having a hoot riding this bike!

Complaints? None whatsoever. I will probably be purchasing a new bigger screen and some pivot pegs, but that's about it. Honda built a winner with the bike for sure. I intent to ride it to Alaska when I retire in around 18 months time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am 61 and bought a 2018 AT a few weeks ago. I have been riding bike since I could reach the handlebars of a mini bike and restored many CB750 Honda’s, minitrails, CBX, CT 90’s, Kawasaki H1, H2, Z1, Z1R bikes to show winning standards. Love the AT throttle response, braking and handling.)

181 - 200 of 225 Posts