Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

201 - 220 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just turned 53, I've have had a few bikes over the years mostly Cruisers (2014 Yamaha Bolt) of late and some small dirt bikes and mini bikes as a kid. I was actually looking at getting a KLR 650 for some adventure riding, and a not so local Dealer had a 2017 AT on the floor the price was right so here I am the proud owner of a 2017 AT with DCT (Literally had 0 miles on the odometer). Have to admit the DCT is taking some getting use to more than once I've grabbed the E-Brake. The weight, rather the location of the weight, is also a difference. With only about 200 Miles on it I can say it is nice to ride, I'm not an aggressive rider and speed is not really my thing, I just want to enjoy the journey.

I've added the Alt-Rider bash plate and crash bars for inevitable, as well as the 12 outlet. My Mosko Moto Backcountry Panniers and Nomad tank bag arrive tomorrow. I will wear out the OEM tires over the next few months and pick up a more off-road worthy set of tires over the winter. With the tires and a few extra do dads I will tick off the TAT (a big part of it) on my bucket list next summer.

Only thing left now it to find a partner in crime....

"The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age.." get out and enjoy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Turned 60 this May, and just traded my NC750X (DCT) with a 2019 AT AS (DCT), Touratech Travel Edition. My new ride is simply brilliant.

I had a trip to Britain in 2017, and that was a fantastic experience. Which is why I hope to meet some forum members over time, preferably in the UK, Denmark, Netherlands and Germany.

Greeetz, Thomas

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm 62 years young. I've been riding since I was 12 years old. Owned over 90 bikes and raced flat track and AFM road raced back in the late 70's. I've ridden a lot of dirt, enduros desert etc. and toured all over the North American Continent. I presently ride a Honda St1100 on the road and used to have a well setup KLR650 that I've ridden between California and Montana a couple of times with many off road miles. I restore vintage bikes for a hobby and have about 12 bikes now, some restored some waiting. I just purchased a 2019 AT DCT and am getting it setup for some distance riding. I have three grown sons and my middle son and I ride when we can - he owns a Triumph Tiger 800 xcx. If there are any riders in Central California out there I live right near Monterey, California.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am 53 but honestly I feel strange I never thought of myself as old yet. I truly believe you are as old as you feel, act, behave, think,,,and hopefully I never get fully old just simply die in 20-30 years time while riding more and more as i have more and more time...
Anyway as a first step I sold my Ducati and bought a AT and it is amazing.first year I did 15k kms riding in the Balkans and Provence/Switzerland. Fantastic. The dct took me 7-8k to really get used to it and while recognising its shortcomings I think I would not go back to manual. Especially off road is amazing. Our group has similar skills but offroad I had to stop all the time wondering if someone dropped his bike but luckily there was no crash just the others struggling much more constantly coordinating 4 limbs. That’s fine and I like it too but after 8 hrs ride in the forest they were knackered and ai was just tired. Most importantly i did not struggle on the harder terrain.
Anyway as opposed to the Ducati that was more exciting I end up riding the AT much more no question. As I fall asleep riding somewhere next time or in the past is in my mind and this says it all...

·
Registered
3 Posts
@ 53 - I still feel great - got my 2017 New to me AT DTC about 3 months ago. Getting cold in CO so not much riding at this time, but I rode a ton on my trusty 2011 KLR (loved that bike). This bike will be much better on longer rides and the added power is a welcome treat.

Looking forward to riding a lot this summer. Will likely do the CO BDR this summer on the AT - that will be fun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am also over 50 and I also bought 2018 ATAS and I ALSO HAVE ALL THE PROBLEMS PRESENTED ON THIS FORUM and more WITH THIS PIECE OF JUNK, IMHO. Instead of enjoying my bike, the bike is being worked on, parts are being replaced for the same parts that most qualified mechanics know will fail again, parts are being waited for for weeks at a time, and on and on and on. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This post is creating some interest!!
I'm 56 and just about to take early retirement (part of company's redundancy plan) so looking forward to getting some miles on my AT
I bought mine September last year and have only done 1200 miles so far. Got a 2500 mile ride round Germany planned for May this year.
Previously owned a BMW310GS and did 6500 miles on her over 15 months - great bike but realised I needed something bigger for touring Europe!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Moving to 73 in April. Had 7 bikes from 1965-1972, two Honda scrambler (250 and 305), a Triumph T100SC (aka the Steve McQueen model), a Harley Sprint 250, a Bultaco El Tigre 250, a Bultaco 360 Pursang and last a Yamaha 360 Enduro that was stolen while in summer school at UT Austin in 1972. No bikes for 45 years, then picked up a Yamaha SCR950 in 2017. Great town bike, but struggles on the road. Looking at 3 used bikes now available in my area to replace it: 2017 AT, 2018 ATAS and 2013 Yamaha S10. Plan to ride probably 80%+ on pavement. I'm 5'11" with 30" inseam. I really like the ATAS but find the seat height on it challenging (i.e. tiptoes). I'm wondering if better confidence while stopped will come with the extra-low seat which gets me just over 1" closer to terra firma. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
It’s hard to believe at 47 I’m almost in the old guys over 50 thread. Whatever. I just now can afford a nice motorcycle so I guess I can look forward to the elderly over 80 thread one day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Turn 60 this year but only started riding motorcycles 2.5 years ago here in Colorado. Started with 2017 CRF250L then a year later purchased a 2014 Gen 2 KLR. Lifetime miles is 10K. Looking to purchase my dream bike, a 2019 AT Adventure Sports DCT next month. As a new rider on the CRF250L, I was taking an off-road training course and experienced a "whiskey throttle" that scared the **** out of me (along with a couple cracked ribs). This still is in the back of mind and wanting to know from all you highly experienced riders, would I be more apt to screw-up / whiskey throttle again with the DCT than with a manual transmission?

·
Registered
68 Posts
69 and bought my 2017 DCT a year ago. Ride it about 50/50 with offroad mostly limited to desert gravel roads and forest service roads. Technical stuff is tempting but my body is no longer a Timex and can't take a likin and keep on tickin. That said I occasionally hit some long sand runs or technical stuff in my explorations and, so far, have been able to get through them but the route gets flagged on my map and I don't go back on two wheels.

201 - 220 of 229 Posts