Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

241 - 251 of 251 Posts

·
Super Moderator
654 Posts
He is an interesting guy. Still plays stand up bass for his little local band and rides his bike all over the US and Canada. I hope when I am his age (if I even live that long) that I can still remember what a motorcycle is, let alone how to ride one :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Turned 50 in January. Really like my 2017 AT but will put a better rear shock on it this summer. The rear coil is just too soft and while changing springs can be a $250 job is you can find someone to do it, it will likely need new valving so I figure I'll just buy a Touratech and call it good.

The bike is incredibly comfortable and I have had none of the problems others have had. The only one I am worried about is the fork anodizing peeling off inside the tubes. I won't spend $3,000 on a set of Öhlins until the stock forks die on me.

But since I have the arthritic hands of an 80 year old man my riding days are numbered anyway. I imagine I'll have to hang up the gloves in no more than 5 years. That sucks ass but arthritis in the hands destroys everything you do since you use your hands for everything. But until that happens, I'll do this as many times a year as I can.

Sorry but this fucking website won't allow me to type in a URL for my hosted images. None on my hard drive drive to upload either. Ride on as long as you can people, the time will come when you cannot.

NC

·
Registered
165 Posts
58 and traded my 2013 FZ-09 and 2013 CRF250L for a 2018 ATAS. The FZ-09 was great for slicing and dicing while riding solo - but didn't carry a passenger well or go far without needing to plan gas stops. The CRF250L was a fun little playbike / commuter - but didn't do well on the highway or pulling me up any kind of a real hill. The ATAS carries two people in comfort at fast highways speeds or on jeep trails to get to that secluded cove at the lake - and is a good commuter. I did buy another bike just for solo dirt riding because the ATAS gets tiring on single track (and I live next to 1,000 acres of woods). I was going to get a CRF450L until I helped a couple of friends tame the twitchy throttle on theirs. The lack of flywheel weight makes it more like a two stroke than a four - so I bought a used XR650L and it chugs along on rough like a tractor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
54 in April... riding since I was 10.. had big bikes in the past, rode it all - Dirt, Trail, Tarmac... never had a Sports bike, but had everything else. This is by far my favorite bike, followed closely by my old KLR. I think I am going to keep this one for while. Age is but a number. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Turned 50 in January. Really like my 2017 AT but will put a better rear shock on it this summer. The rear coil is just too soft and while changing springs can be a $250 job is you can find someone to do it, it will likely need new valving so I figure I'll just buy a Touratech and call it good.

The bike is incredibly comfortable and I have had none of the problems others have had. The only one I am worried about is the fork anodizing peeling off inside the tubes. I won't spend $3,000 on a set of Öhlins until the stock forks die on me.

But since I have the arthritic hands of an 80 year old man my riding days are numbered anyway. I imagine I'll have to hang up the gloves in no more than 5 years. That sucks ass but arthritis in the hands destroys everything you do since you use your hands for everything. But until that happens, I'll do this as many times a year as I can.

Sorry but this fucking website won't allow me to type in a URL for my hosted images. None on my hard drive drive to upload either. Ride on as long as you can people, the time will come when you cannot.

NC
I have nerve damage that causes me issues with both of my hands but I have found something that greatly helps with my riding - almost a miracle and has kept me riding now and I'm 63 years old. I use the Grip Buddies Lites combined with Throttle Rockers on both the LH and RH grips to support my wrists and take away the need to grasp the grips tightly. The Throttle rockers have a velcro strap that locks them on so they won't slip and they make special versions for both the LH and RH sides. This has made such a huge difference that I can now ride all day without pain compared to just an hour or two before.
Dan

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new to this forum, from central IL, bought a new 2019 AT in Russellville AK last Friday, on the way home from an AZ vacation. Had been researching ADV bikes, ended on this one, via eBay, stopped in, and purchased.
I am 66, might well be 67 by the time I pick the bike up when restrictions are lifted! I too was an amateur dirt rider in my teens and 20's/30's, and owned three Honda bikes in my teens/20s. A 125, a 350 Scrambler, and a 350 Motosport (my favorite)!

I was a business owner (lumber company) who just retired this year. I hadn't had a vacation in 10 years, to I took a van trip west to see my sis. As a part of my overdue vacation, my retirement, and my May birthday, I gladly bought what will likely be my last cycle. I'm thrilled to have this one, and hope to be able to ride it for a few good years. When it gets to tall for me (5'11) to mount anymore, I'll go back to my Yamaha Majesty 400 Scooter!!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Excellent Peter. Congratulations on retirement, as well as your 2019 AT acquisition. And finally, welcome to the Forum.

P.S. I have seen the Majesty 400 perform tours well above expectation.

·
Super Moderator
654 Posts
Welcome to the forum Peter. Glad to have you! I second DT in congratulating you both on retirement and your new purchase! :)

241 - 251 of 251 Posts