Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Any Old Guys (Over 50) Riding the Africa Twin?

96874 Views 378 Replies 266 Participants Last post by  wags
I'm over 60 and used to ride Enduros in my teens and 20s so when a road worthy dirt bike the size of the Africa Twin, after researching the possible alternatives (KTM, BMW, Ducatti, Triumph, Yamaha, etc.), it stimulated my desire to get back in the saddle again. It's a different world with issues like no insured medical coverage for motorcyclists with my insurance company (in my state?) and a lack of bikes on the road but a plethora of automobiles. Finally I hopped on a section I-24 for three exits and while crossing the Ohio river at 75 mph was blown about a bit then was blown passed by a Harley bagger and a much smaller Suzuki dual sport. Am I just getting Old? I enjoy the twisties through the woods and the dirt roads, small stream crossings and logging roads even with the stock 90/10s but I'm sure this might be more fun with say a set of Shinko 804/805 combo. I have Nelson Rigg panniers, 15 liter rolls and a 30L Tail Bag but haven't used anything but the panniers for shopping and extra weather gear. Also I have a Oxford First Tank Bag that I don't recommend. The plan is to do some camping, if time permits? I am relatively short (5'8") with a mid life gut and find that wrong footing like stopping beside an unexpected pothole (patched) is enough to cause a critical shift in the bikes gravity (I fell) and subsequent embarrassment. So feel free to share yours!
Reactions: 5
281 - 300 of 379 Posts
Voy camino de los 57, siempre he tenido motos trail y enduro y en unos meses espero ser el nuevo propietario de una africa twin 1100 std, seguire dando caña por donde vaya, preferiblemente campo no me gusta el asfalto.
Reactions: 2
Been at it for 40+ years, traded in my 2013 Goldwing for a 2021 ATAS DCT about a month ago, longest ride so far about 350 miles down from MI to the 555 for a trial ride. Will turn 69 in Oct. Got to love getting old on an Adventure bike.
Reactions: 3
Been at it for 40+ years, traded in my 2013 Goldwing for a 2021 ATAS DCT about a month ago, longest ride so far about 350 miles down from MI to the 555 for a trial ride. Will turn 69 in Oct. Got to love getting old on an Adventure bike.
I traded my 2015 GL1800 in a year ago for my 2020 ATAS ES DCT and don’t regret it one bit. I’ve been fortunate to take a month long 5400 mile road trip last September. Loved every mile! Welcome to the forum and the “I traded in my Gold Wing for an AT Club”. Forgot to add I turned 61 last month.
52 here with a 2021 AT. Had a Honda Fury prior to this bike. Race cars (HPDE and autocross) and still living the dream.

Just takes a little longer to get the engine to operating temp!!!
Reactions: 1
I’m 63. Bought a 2020 AT DCT for my 62nd. Other than my 2010 Vespa 300, the AT is my first “large“ motorcycle. I love it. A ride after work clears my mind and reminds me why I’m retiring next August!
Rule #89: If you are over 50 and don't own an adventure bike you are no longer hip or cool.
Rule #89: If you are over 50 and don't own an adventure bike you are no longer hip or cool.
lol

Rule #721: If you are over 50, sometimes you have no hip.
  • Haha
Oh, you kids... Riding since... well, the records were on clay tablets, lost in the Great Flood. Sat behind Methusela in the 3rd grade. Glad I learned first in the dirt (50cc Cub). Ride 12 months/year if the roads are dry (and I can negotiate the occasional ice rink in my driveway), it's therapeutic. I've learned that The Secret to Riding More is to ride. More.

The beast weighs every one of the pounds in its ¼ ton when I'm shifting it about in the garage, but I like its long legs with the big tank. I'm shrinking, but I like its height, and standing (installed better pegs) is great.

"Bin Ich kein 'Expert,' nur Historiker."
Oh, you kids... Riding since... well, the records were on clay tablets, lost in the Great Flood. Sat behind Methusela in the 3rd grade. Glad I learned first in the dirt (50cc Cub). Ride 12 months/year if the roads are dry (and I can negotiate the occasional ice rink in my driveway), it's therapeutic. I've learned that The Secret to Riding More is to ride. More.

The beast weighs every one of the pounds in its ¼ ton when I'm shifting it about in the garage, but I like its long legs with the big tank. I'm shrinking, but I like its height, and standing (installed better pegs) is great.

"Bin Ich kein 'Expert,' nur Historiker."
lol - Welcome to the Forum @Freezin' Geezer.

Feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.
geez when I was 50 I could still leap tall buildings :) a wee bit over 60 now, lets just say my first real dirt bike was a Canam since then everything but cruisers. Just sold my 890R for the ATAS little more weather protection for this guy. still have my 501 husky as well
I'm turning 51 in October, but I'm not an old guy!
I love my AT, it's about to turn spring here and as winter ends I'm looking forward to getting out and riding my AT a lot more.
Forget about your age and ride your bike!
Just saw you post ,re age . Give me a call Mark.
Glen .
just turned 71 and have 44K on my 2017

Thanks Tom
just turned 71 and have 44K on my 2017

Thanks Tom
Nice Tom. And Happy Birthday!
It cheers me up when I see articles about people who are senior in life and continue to ride their Africa Twin.
I was born in 1964 and will soon have 100,000 miles on my first Africa Twin. I would like to ride the Africa Twin until my hip is gone.

Tire Wheel Plant Plant community Vehicle
See less See more
I'm over 60 and used to ride Enduros in my teens and 20s so when a road worthy dirt bike the size of the Africa Twin, after researching the possible alternatives (KTM, BMW, Ducatti, Triumph, Yamaha, etc.), it stimulated my desire to get back in the saddle again. It's a different world with issues like no insured medical coverage for motorcyclists with my insurance company (in my state?) and a lack of bikes on the road but a plethora of automobiles. Finally I hopped on a section I-24 for three exits and while crossing the Ohio river at 75 mph was blown about a bit then was blown passed by a Harley bagger and a much smaller Suzuki dual sport. Am I just getting Old? I enjoy the twisties through the woods and the dirt roads, small stream crossings and logging roads even with the stock 90/10s but I'm sure this might be more fun with say a set of Shinko 804/805 combo. I have Nelson Rigg panniers, 15 liter rolls and a 30L Tail Bag but haven't used anything but the panniers for shopping and extra weather gear. Also I have a Oxford First Tank Bag that I don't recommend. The plan is to do some camping, if time permits? I am relatively short (5'8") with a mid life gut and find that wrong footing like stopping beside an unexpected pothole (patched) is enough to cause a critical shift in the bikes gravity (I fell) and subsequent embarrassment. So feel free to share yours!
I am 50, bought a new one very recently. 1st bike and looking forward to ride it.
I am 50, bought a new one very recently. 1st bike and looking forward to ride it.
Congratulations @Michiel, and welcome to the Forum! Post some pics? Show off your beast.
Over 50. Been on bikes since I was 7. First big bike and glad I got it before the goldwing...that I'll probably get someday.
Still getting used to the heft of the ol girl in the ~3500 miles I've had it.
It cheers me up when I see articles about people who are senior in life and continue to ride their Africa Twin.
I was born in 1964 and will soon have 100,000 miles on my first Africa Twin. I would like to ride the Africa Twin until my hip is gone.

View attachment 66104
Good vintage that...'64.
BTW, both my natural hips are gone, replaced by costly titanium 4 years ago. I managed to dislocate the right hip replacement dismounting after my very first ride post surgery.
Still dealing with some pain in both hips...iliopsoas tendonitis, but able to ride just fine.
So even after your natural hip is gone, riding is still possible with a little care, and some help picking up the bike if and when it takes a nap.

Riding is one of the few things keeping me from losing my sh!t in the current climate, and I'm not talking about the weather.
Reactions: 4
Riding is one of the few things keeping me from losing my sh!t in the current climate, and I'm not talking about the weather.
I hear ya. (y)
281 - 300 of 379 Posts