Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

121 - 140 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
53 and just bought my AT yesterday. it has been my dream since they were first released. I’ve had a heap of 650 thumpers, DRZ400, adventurism TDM900. All great bikes, but I think this one might be IT!

·
Registered
5 Posts
turned 61 thus year and bought a new ATAS DCT

SO after a long break :(
last bike was a 1200 GS
bike no 11 is the ATAS DCT
9 bikes have been AS or Enduros / Trials & Big Trailies and a Honda VFR 800:nerd:
had an original AT which I wish I never sold .. :surprise:
whoo hoo I am back in saddle :grin2:
WW

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sold 4 bikes to get the 2016 AT DCT!

I saw it (a 2016) used in the paper last year with 5000 miles on it and was smitten! My wonderful wife says motorcycle money stays with motorcycles so I immediately sold a 1979 Goldwing w/sidecar, a 2007 CB 250 NightHawk, a 2009 KLR 650, and a 2013 Triumph Bonneville and paid cash! I did keep the 95 Goldwing though. It’s my 34 bike in 43 years of riding. At 54 years old I ride year round here in Oregon. In fact I just bought a car (my wife has one) after 8 1/2 years of only riding the bikes to work and such (it’s a convertible!).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have lower back issues: so I wear a full summer body armor suit, and its broad (20 cm) wrap-around girgle belt supports my back fine. On top I wear my normal motorbike jacket minus its back, shoulder, & elbow pads. Done this for 2000 km. After touring & relaxing in the evenings, I comfortabley wear just the jacket without the armor suit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi y'all, I Turn 62 next month, bought my 2018 ATAS DTC 1 week ago today. My poor Goldwing hasn't been started in a week and is getting very jealous.
Planning to take the AT up the Dalton highway, late May.
Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am 61. Will be 62 in September. Really like this bike. Just changed my tires from Shinko,s to Mitas EO7's. Have had shinkos on it since about a month after I bought it last April. Hope these Mitas work out okay. Mine is a 2017 manual. I also have a 2018 Goldwing manual.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm 56 and just bought my 2018 ATAS. I have ridden Harleys for 27 years and the last 16 on Ultra Classics. My first test of endurance will be a ride from Tampa to Milwaukee next week on the ATAS. Looking forward to it and taking an off road course this fall and starting to have some fun off road.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome

I'm 56 and just bought my 2018 ATAS. I have ridden Harleys for 27 years and the last 16 on Ultra Classics. My first test of endurance will be a ride from Tampa to Milwaukee next week on the ATAS. Looking forward to it and taking an off road course this fall and starting to have some fun off road.
Welcome!
I am also a long time Harley rider, currently a 2017 Street Glide Special in addition to my 2018 Honda AT Adventure Sports Edition, had 4 other HD’s and multiple dual sport bikes, I am now 53.
I love having both types of bikes & so far the Honda is a great choice to get “off the beaten path” where my touring bike cannot go.
Have fun, & enjoy your bikes!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm 57 and been riding bikes for about 40 years mostly dirt and sport bikes. I've had everything form a Honda XL250 ( bought with Insurance money when I totaled my Mustang GT) to a 70 Norton 750 Commando. Stated thinking about Adventure bikes late last year and when my buddy picked up a KTM 1290 the die was cast.
Bought a new in the crate 17 AT last week and only have about 200 miles on it so fare but love it. Comfy, enough power, cant wait to upgrade the tires a bit and hit some long gravel roads.
Not gonna sell my Aprilia Tuono but I think I made the right choice in buying the AT

·
Registered
2 Posts
Am a happy "Seen-ager" at 65, with my new '19 Silver AT fully outfiitted for ADV riding. Taking an off-road class in a few weeks, and will be riding on Oregon Back Country Discovery routes this summer. What a bike!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I'm 45 and feel like an old fart...

I bought my first AT a few months ago used, had about 4800 miles on it. 2016 model

I've been a Honda guy for years and didn't know about the AT. I've had all the CRs, XRs, a few CB street bikes and a custom build XR650R Pig.

The AT is quite a bit different and so glad to see it imported finally once I had heard about it. I've put about 1000 miles on her already and my single biggest complaint:

Fuel Capacity. It needs rear tanks.

I saw the Safari XL tank and thought I was going to puke it was so hideous looking. Camel's ADV rear tank is designed to be used with panniers which I dont use...

So I am taking on a project to custom design rear rally type tanks. I have access to a plastics blow-molding factory and 3d printing designers. I will keep you guys updated on the progress.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I can appreciate your small tank woes but don't let it get you down. There aren't that many places where you'll need to carry fuel. I rode to Alaska (R1200GS with a 5.3 gallon tank but similar fuel range) and did not need to carry fuel. I did carry fuel "just in case" but it turned out to be unnecessary. Now I can easily plan a 500 mile ride in the Western US to avoid gas stations and then get bent out of shape about how the fuel range is inadequate but for 99% of what I want to do the stock tank will suffice.

Good luck and enjoy your AT.

I turn 50 next January. I laugh at people who complain about age. Most people who complain about problems don't have serious ones. The ones who have it tough tend to keep their mouths shut as they don't want sympathy and know that bitching about real issues won't make them go away. I am not there yet but pretty close and know my riding/guitar playing days are numbered.

NC

I bought my first AT a few months ago used, had about 4800 miles on it. 2016 model

I've been a Honda guy for years and didn't know about the AT. I've had all the CRs, XRs, a few CB street bikes and a custom build XR650R Pig.

The AT is quite a bit different and so glad to see it imported finally once I had heard about it. I've put about 1000 miles on her already and my single biggest complaint:

I saw the Safari XL tank and thought I was going to puke it was so hideous looking. Camel's ADV rear tank is designed to be used with panniers which I dont use...

So I am taking on a project to custom design rear rally type tanks. I have access to a plastics blow-molding factory and 3d printing designers. I will keep you guys updated on the progress.

·
Registered
14 Posts
53 and loving it. brother is 51, he loves his and my buddy Gaza Holloway is knocking on the door of 60 and loves his too. great fire road blaster

·
Registered
58 Posts

45 and "feel like an old fart"???
Naughty boy, ya ain't been livin' right!
I would kill to feel like 45 again, I was kickin' ass and takin' hills and ridin' like the wind!!!!
LOL!! JK!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
New member lookig for advice

45 and "feel like an old fart"???
Naughty boy, ya ain't been livin' right!
I would kill to feel like 45 again, I was kickin' ass and takin' hills and ridin' like the wind!!!!
LOL!! JK!!

Hi, Tom from Glasgow, recently retired firefighter at 51. I have had my 2017 AT for about a year now and loving it. It's the first bike I've had in about 15 years. Being the DCT I'm finding it very easy to ride. Although in saying that I managed to drop it on a camber while stationary (heavy bugger). I have broken the handguard on it and was looking for feedback on a replacement. I was considering ones with a protection bar fitted like the barkbuster as opposed to the OEM. Surprised how pricy they can be but I suppose you get what you pay for. I'm also doing the NC500 this month, my first real tour and was looking for advice on what to take?

121 - 140 of 229 Posts