Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

161 - 180 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
58, and I've owned MANY bikes (43 to be exact). I actually gave up riding for about 10 years. Last fall I thought I'd give it another try and bought a 2015 Kawasaki KLR650 (#44). I enjoyed being back on two wheels again, but wanted more power and comfort. I had a deposit down on a 2019 KTM 790 Adventure R but got tired of waiting for them to arrive stateside. I picked up a brand new, left over 2017 model AT instead. Saving $5,000 (compared to the price of the KTM) also had a bit to do with my decision.
I hope to hold onto this one (#45) for quite some time. Only mods I've done so far is to install Touratech bridged handlebar risers, Honda center stand, and a set of Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR tires. The new tires have made a HUGE difference in the off road capability of the bike. Now thinking about adding a set of Outback Motortek crash bars...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Any of you over 50 riders, or over 60 like me, need reading glasses? What do you do when you ride. Find it hard to read most of the display. Only need reading glasses and do not wear corrective lenses. Not sure about wearing "cheaters" while riding...

·
Registered
7 Posts
tires

I just wore my dunlops out at 6500mi. They were toast, front nearly bald and rear down to wear marks in middle. Should have changed about 2k ago. Put on some TKC80s and so far I love them. Hit some gravel last ride and did great. I am amazed at the gravel stability of this bike. It was darn good even with the dunlops. Had to take a couple of excursions through the woods to get around some down trees and it did great. I must admit that most any new tires would feel pretty good. I was having to put a lot of input to the bars to turn the bike in the curves plus low speed wobble due to the cupping. Loving the Continentals though.

·
Registered
161 Posts
57, 6'3" - traded in my 2013 CRF250L and 2014 FZ-09 for a 2018 ATAS. The CRF250L was fun riding solo except on the highway, the FZ-09 was fun to play on the twisties - but ran dry too quickly to go anywhere. Neither of them carried a passenger comfortably, and neither really fit my 36" inseam. I flat foot with the ATAS seat in the high spot - but I've started using it in the low because it gives my knees a smidge more room. The seat and tank on the standard AT fit me perfectly (and I loved the red/white/black because it was my old CRRC/WERA/AMA racing colors) - but after I had agreed to buy it they lowered the price $1,500 and sold it the day before we had agreed for me to come in and get it. I think the better suspension and console are worth it - but I can't understand why they undersold me. Also - why does the ATAS come with the same street biased Dunlops...

Only mods so far are comfort passenger pegs, and the Yamaha 39l top case I used between the FZ and CRF. Since I can use the same mount I'm tempted to get the 50l so I can store two helmets or a helmet and jacket in it. I'm commuting on it, and have been carrying my helmet and jacket into the office since they won't both fit in the case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm 52 and been riding since I was 14, my reaction to riding is still pretty much the same now as when I was at school. The AT allows me to believe that I'll ride around the world. One day...…..

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm soon to be 62. Just bought a 2019 manual shift 3 hours ago. So I've only ridden it a few miles, but so far so good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Turned 71 in January and enjoy riding as much as ever, but I am a little bit pickier about the rain, cold & heat. I raced enduros and hare scrambles year-round for over 40 years (into my early 60s) so as far as riding in bad weather goes: Been there, done that, and don't need to do it any more. I ride for fun and riding in certain conditions is no longer fun to me. I have nothing to prove. That said, different strokes for different folks, and with the proper gear, it can be done. I don't mind having to suit up to get through a short rain or to get home but I no longer head out for a ride in the rain. My son and I left home heading for Daytona Bike Week several years ago in the rain with the temp at 37 degrees, with the sun going down. Maybe the dumbest thing I ever did! Older and (hopefully) somewhat wiser now. I know the time will come when I will have to stop riding but the desire will never go away. Ride as long as the passion is there
, and it is safe to do so.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Turned 71 in January and enjoy riding as much as ever, but I am a little bit pickier about the rain, cold & heat. I raced enduros and hare scrambles year-round for over 40 years (into my early 60s) so as far as riding in bad weather goes: Been there, done that, and don't need to do it any more. I ride for fun and riding in certain conditions is no longer fun to me. I have nothing to prove. That said, different strokes for different folks, and with the proper gear, it can be done. I don't mind having to suit up to get through a short rain or to get home but I no longer head out for a ride in the rain. My son and I left home heading for Daytona Bike Week several years ago in the rain with the temp at 37 degrees, with the sun going down. Maybe the dumbest thing I ever did! Older and (hopefully) somewhat wiser now. I know the time will come when I will have to stop riding but the desire will never go away. Ride as long as the passion is there

, and it is safe to do so.
55 and already have arthritic hands. Been on 2 wheels and a motor since age 10. When I can't ride anymore, I will probably off myself in a way the life ins can be collected in triple. (Accident)

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wear bifocals, although I barely need the distance (top lense) and shifted to a modular helmet, so as I don't have to take the glasses on and off. The reading (lower lenses) is measured so I can see my gauges, phone/map and gps. I opted for changeables that way it comes with a shade and when it gets dark I can still keep them on.
Am 61 years old

·
Registered
175 Posts
55, can't really make out anything but the speedometer. I'm fine with that. Distant vision is fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, just picked up new to me 18 ATAS with 2600kms only. Live in Orange, country NSW Australia 250kms north west of Sydney, at 900 metres so we’ve a relatively cool climate and miss the real heat of areas just north or west of us.

Having spent most of my working life in front of or fixing computers I need bifocals for the speedo and distance now at 54 years.

Learning lots here and planning the farkles..

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi all, just picked up new to me 18 ATAS with 2600kms only. Live in Orange, country NSW Australia 250kms north west of Sydney, at 900 metres so we’ve a relatively cool climate and miss the real heat of areas just north or west of us.

Having spent most of my working life in front of or fixing computers I need bifocals for the speedo and distance now at 54 years.

Congrats and enjoy !

·
Registered
55 Posts
Glasses to use while riding

I use bifocal tinted safety glasses, they can be purchased for less than $10 a pair, cover the entire eye very well and come in various strengths. Seeing the gauges is perfect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just picked up an AT a week ago. New to Dual Sport but have been riding daily for the last 10 years. Just turned 50 last year and feeling it. My clutch thumb started giving me grief so I went with the DCT.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just picked up an AT a week ago. New to Dual Sport but have been riding daily for the last 10 years. Just turned 50 last year and feeling it. My clutch thumb started giving me grief so I went with the DCT.
Congrats on the AT.
My whole hands are getting arthritic. Found a guy on eBay that makes cushioned leather wraparounds. Adds 1/2 in to the grip and works great.

·
Registered
153 Posts
All you young fellows. Had a bad year last year. Most years I put about 25,000 miles on my bike. But, due to both knees being replace, two cataract surgeries where the lens were replaced, skin sag on eyelid removal operation, and AFIB with over six months in a LIFE VEST, once again I ride again. Now Queenie, my Africa Twin, has the dash line with no shifting. She is in the dealer’s for over two weeks now. If I only had Honda’s special tool that reads all that fancy new computer stuff, first time I have ever taken a bike to a dealership in my life. But I did get to ride her one ride before the old gal went down.

Hopefully, I will be back in the saddle again SOON! Oh, yes I am 73 years young.

161 - 180 of 225 Posts