Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Africa Twin (CRF1000 DCT)
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Want to convert your tubed motorcycle rim to a tubeless rim? Want the advantages of running tubeless tires? Tired of spending 45 minutes repairing a tubed tire that has a puncture? Mr. BestRest shows you the step-by-by step conversion process.

tshansen shows how i changes a Mita E07+ on hes KTM with an OlmaxMotors TireChanger
I do not yet know if this conversion are made by tshansen or it is standard on this Austrian bikes ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can do it to the rear rim as it has a safety bead on it, but not the front as there is no safety bead on the rim. My local tire shop that specializes in motorcycles did the conversion for the rear which is the tire far more likely to get a flat in offroad conditions. I would NOT recommend doing the front unless you replace the rim or entire wheel.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I converted my rear tire to tubeless using 3M N4412 extreme sealing tape. I used Sikaflex to seal the spoke nipples prior to applying the tape. It has worked fine without any pressure loss. I left the front alone with the tube as it is much easier to fix a flat on the front than on the rear. I also installed the new Dunlop Mission tires and felt it would be almost impossible to do a road or trailside repair on the rear because the Dunlop tire sidewalls are so stiff and having a tubeless rear tire would make tire fixes easier. I'm not so strong at 63 yrs.of age.

Dan

·
Registered
91 Posts
@SkipD I agree regarding the front rim. I had my OEM rims converted to tubeless by Woody's Wheel Works in Denver, Colorado. The company is well known in the States as a premier motorcycle wheel expert. They actually advised that I keep the OEM front wheel because it is a quality item. They also said exactly what you recommend: don't air down below 20psi on the front rim.

·
Registered
413 Posts
@SkipD I agree regarding the front rim. I had my OEM rims converted to tubeless by Woody's Wheel Works in Denver, Colorado. The company is well known in the States as a premier motorcycle wheel expert. They actually advised that I keep the OEM front wheel because it is a quality item. They also said exactly what you recommend: don't air down below 20psi on the front rim.
Yep I am not sure how quality the front rim is anymore but it has taken a real beating I need to get it replaced. After one trip it was bent bad enough for the spokes to be rubbing on the left brake caliper, I ran most of that trip at 22PSI for about 6700km front tubeless never lost any air pressure.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Yep I am not sure how quality the front rim is anymore but it has taken a real beating I need to get it replaced. After one trip it was bent bad enough for the spokes to be rubbing on the left brake caliper, I ran most of that trip at 22PSI for about 6700km front tubeless never lost any air pressure.
Sounds like a good use case argument for routine on road applications.

·
Premium Member
2019 Africa Twin (CRF1000 DCT)
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can do it to the rear rim as it has a safety bead on it, but not the front as there is no safety bead on the rim. My local tire shop that specializes in motorcycles did the conversion for the rear which is the tire far more likely to get a flat in offroad conditions. I would NOT recommend doing the front unless you replace the rim or entire wheel.
With this product you should be able to do the conversion safely on both front and rear wheel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts