Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my AT and not wanting to have to get a new phone case to use many of the phone mounts out there. Does anyone see a problem with keeping my phone in my shirt/jacket pocket with the usb cord attached to the dock by the screen? Any safety issues? Any comfort Issues? Any performance issues?

·
Registered
186 Posts
You may forget and pull the cable dismounting, otherwise as long as you keep it from tangles on the handlebars its probably fine.

Or use a wireless dongle setup on the bike and then no cables to tangle but the battery life may be an issue on long days.

They make $35 dollar magnetic tank bags too if you prefer to just pop in in one of those.

The nelson ring NR-50 comes to mind.
Nelson Rigg Route 1 Magnetic Phone Holder Adventure.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
Just picked up my AT and not wanting to have to get a new phone case to use many of the phone mounts out there. Does anyone see a problem with keeping my phone in my shirt/jacket pocket with the usb cord attached to the dock by the screen? Any safety issues? Any comfort Issues? Any performance issues?
Go for a ride and try it out.

This may seem like an obvious statement, however, you may find the air dynamics and/or cable stiffness of your particular USB cord bothersome, and notably at freeway speeds. You'll know, and then you'll find a way that works better for you.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't want my phone on me in the event of a crash. I fear being unconscious and my damaged phone's lithium battery catching me on fire. I would rather be separated from my phone and rely on my headset bluetooth range to call for help when I wake up.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't want my phone on me in the event of a crash. I fear being unconscious and my damaged phone's lithium battery catching me on fire. I would rather be separated from my phone and rely on my headset bluetooth range to call for help when I wake up.
... I'm kinda of the other school-of-thought:

Thrown, bloodied, one eye working, and the one remaining hand reaching into my secured breast pocket to check-in on the Africa Twin Forum, err, um, ... dial 911.

·
Registered
2018 ATAS DCT
76 Posts
The only thing I would be worried about is to jump off the bike (either intentionally or unintentionally) and pull the cord. That can potentially damage the charging port (phone or/and bike).
If you need to charge your phone while riding, use a fixed place in the bike.
That or carry an external battery in your pocket or something like that for when you run out of juice.

·
Registered
CRF1000L | KLX300SM
346 Posts
As mentioned, try it. My helmet speakers use a cord to the gps on the handlebar or the gps sound amplifier in my tank bag. Have done this for about nine years now.

·
Registered
22 ATAS
2 Posts
I put my phone in my Nomax tank bag and run the cord to the plug. Keeps it charged and allows CarPlay. I miss the dedicated cubby on my Goldwing Tour. Elegant and useful design there.

·
Registered
186 Posts
It would have been really nice if they built in a phone holder cubby right by the usb plug. I have the Honda tank bag which is actually a shad and similar to one of the mosko bags which works great after you run the wire into it. Not bad to just plug in and leave in the bag so it stays charged. Larger bags definately get in the way standing on the ATAS.

·
Registered
'22 ATAS ES DCT
55 Posts
Does anyone see a problem with keeping my phone in my shirt/jacket pocket with the usb cord attached to the dock by the screen?
Tried this for about 3 weeks with a 2 meter cord. I'm certain it was messing with the aerodynamics, plus I got tired of tucking the extra cord into my pocket.

Ended up buying a mount that has a vibration filter built in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts