Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Does anyone know of some high lift cams available for the crf1000l engine? Time to get this motor ripping and working to its potential.

Cheers!!

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,125 Posts
I think about the only way would be to have a OEM. one filled and custom ground, I have yet to see any aftermarket engine parts for this motor ..

·
Registered
223 Posts
To get the benefit from high lift cams, a set of high compression pistons would be needed, but would turn the bike from a dual sport into a sport bike

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been tossing around the idea of putting in the Cam from a Honda Talon (UTV) into it. From the research I have done, the Honda Talon Cam has significantly more duration. It does not have any more lift.

The Africa Twin and Honda Talon share the same cylinder head, Valves, connecting rods, compression ratio, and ect. The only thing I have not been able to find is the comparison of the camshaft base circles. You would need to upgrade to the Talon valve springs though. There are aftermarket Talon performance Camshafts, but they cost nearly $800.00. Might give it a shot in a month or so.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been tossing around the idea of putting in the Cam from a Honda Talon (UTV) into it. From the research I have done, the Honda Talon Cam has significantly more duration. It does not have any more lift.

The Africa Twin and Honda Talon share the same cylinder head, Valves, connecting rods, compression ratio, and ect. The only thing I have not been able to find is the comparison of the camshaft base circles. You would need to upgrade to the Talon valve springs though. There are aftermarket Talon performance Camshafts, but they cost nearly $800.00. Might give it a shot in a month or so.

Awesome thanks!!! I found a company that makes aftermarket talon cams in the US too. They got 12more bhp from the motor and the owner of the firm said its literally just a drop-in! it is $800 but im pretty sure ill do it! along with a power commander, full arrow system and some high flow filters! the bike is undergoing a full frame swap and becme a custom machine so why not eh - if a job is worth doing, its worth over doing!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To get the benefit from high lift cams, a set of high compression pistons would be needed, but would turn the bike from a dual sport into a sport bike
You think so? I'd be willing to bet that the pistons and heads can easily take a few more bhp. Plenty of tolerance built into these puppies and then the engine is so bulletproof Honda are already putting the motor in other bikes/ATV's. I'm of the opinion that they've proved the engine is very capable.

·
Super Moderator
6,785 Posts
Awesome thanks!!! I found a company that makes aftermarket talon cams in the US too. They got 12more bhp from the motor and the owner of the firm said its literally just a drop-in! it is $800 but im pretty sure ill do it! along with a power commander, full arrow system and some high flow filters! the bike is undergoing a full frame swap and becme a custom machine so why not eh - if a job is worth doing, its worth over doing!
Hmm, interesting - thx.

·
Super Moderator
6,785 Posts
That's looks serious Bob.

Pasted here since sometimes the URL goes stale and the reader is left hanging what it is all about:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Spring, and pistons are different between the two motors. If you are doing a cam make sure you get the springs to go with it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts